NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/2-0-liter-gas/240358d1557508063-driveaxle-removal-installation-heads-up-image_1557508022153.jpg

I replaced the drive axle after attempting to return this part to Autozone and being turned away saying they didn't stock it. After tweeting about it though Autozone called me and wanted me to go back to the store to return it but I was on my bike and almost home. I don't know where it is now.

Today, While driving the 100 mile round trip to visit my sister, I could hear a rattling noise. Maybe I should have replaced this part. Do you think someone did something to the differential while it was on jackstands in my backyard for a month?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have no idea what you’re asking. You’re assuming we know what you’re talking about. You need to explain what happened from start to finish.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rattling Noise From Axle - SABOTAGE

My right front inner CV boot was ripped so I ordered a new axle.

The old axle wouldn't come out and the Chilton book at the library said mine had to be pried out with a pry bar which I did.

The new axle wouldn't go in though and videos on the internet suggested the spring clip was the culprit.

In the end I saw a video where WD-40 was sprayed on the splines and sure enough that did it! I put the car back together and was on the road once again but there was a problem. There is a rattling noise that wasn't there before.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,903 Posts
Where did you get the axle from? What is the part you are referencing?

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
Aftermarket rebuilt axles: from most auto parts stores, have a history of quality control issues, premature failure; many end up, after dealing with failed cheaper axles, biting the bullet, spending the money on oem axles from gkn or the same axles from their vw dealer (gkn makes the cv axles for volkswagen)..

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's new, not rebuilt.

I got the SurTrack VW-8091 CV Axle Shaft off of Amazon for $65.64.

Amazon says, "This product fits this position on your 2004 Volkswagen Beetle."

Neighbor's son walked out in the street to stop me and offer his assistance as if he knows why the axle is clicking. I declined.

Maybe someone damaged the splines of the transaxle while it was on blocks in the backyard and they're just slipping over the splines on the inner CV-axle. It sounds like a blender knocking around ice cubes.

But the car is able to travel at normal speed.

How long will it last before failure? Your guess is as good as mine.

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
Something is defintely wrong; seeing how the axle is the primary changed variable, it seems the axle or something related to it, is a source of the problem. Amazon, is not always the best site; for correct parts selection; you might contact the vendor who sold the part though amazon, look it up on the surtrac catalog or contact the parent company, Advanced Innovative Technology Corporation/Trakmotive directly, to double check that the part number is correct or get tech support.

Trakmotive tech support:

http://www.trakmotive.com/technical-support/contact-technical-support/

Online catalog:

http://trakmotive.mycarparts.net

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thank you.

A new axle from amazon is like throwing money down the toilet. Never order vital car parts from amazon. You may get lucky but usually not.

Order from a reputable source, on line dealer, local dealer over the counter, sometimes they offer cash discounts, rock auto if they have a VW axle listed at the bottom of their page, otherwise all their cheap junk is just that , cheap junk.

Idparts.com,, they have GKN axles , metalmanparts.com, raxles.com, all of these places will cost more than amazon, but if you run into a problem they will offer assistance on top of the sale. In addition you get a quality product.

My daughter has a ripped inner boot on her bug. My plan is a rebuild of the inner joint and a new boot with the following kit.

https://www.idparts.com/inner-cv-joint-and-boot-kit-right-gkn-a4-manual-p-5671.html

The OEM axles should never be traded in (core) on a chinese junk axle or a rebuild. After market axles are different than oem, and of course the joints themselves are as bad or worse.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TrakMotive website lists this VW-8091 axle as the right one for a hatchback but Marilyn is a convertible and I should have gotten a VW-8136. I hope they’ll exchange it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No Hope

Today was quite an adventure! I took the bus to Westlake and found out the cost of a new axle for Marilyn my 2004 Beetle is $395! So I told them I would check to see if the seller on Amazon came through but when I got home I found out he doesn't stock that one at this time.

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
Well, as noted, you maybe able to get the axle through gkn/lowebro/spidan, at a lower price; which makes, the genuine vw axle assemblies. Did you get the correct vw part number?

·
Registered
329 Posts
https://www.idparts.com/vw-front-axle-1j0407272nn-mk4-right-gkn-p-6063.html

GKN, not sure which side you need or if you have a manual or auto.

Generally if you put an amazon axle, or autozone or other cheap alternative you get to become an axle change expert by doing it over and over agin until you either get lucky and get a good one or you get tired of replacing them under warranty and buy an OEM or a GKN or something on that order.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I called Volkswagen in Westlake this morning and asked for the part number and was told they don’t give out part numbers, “It’s just a company policy.”

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Splines lose.

If you sprayed wd40 or any kind of penetrating lubricant on the axle Splines than you just sprayed on the bearings. We know they're suppose to be sealed bearings but that penetrating lube sips right past that rubber seals easy, easy. that could be what's making that noise.

·
Registered
11,426 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AutoZone.com

AutoZone.com let me type in the VIN # so I assume the axle I ordered from them is the right one. It looks rebuilt.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,903 Posts
What brand? I haven't heard much in the way of good things from Autozone, etc. axles.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The box says Duralast Gold which is Autozone’s brand. Duralast parts are manufactured to meet or exceed OE quality, durability, and performance. Whatever make of car you're driving, Duralast parts keep your car driving tough.

PARTS THAT FIT
YOUR EVERY NEED

Duralast's full range of auto parts makes it easy to get the right part at the right time. Whether you're changing your oil or rebuilding your engine - Duralast gets the job done right.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts