NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
As noted before; these axles tend to be lower quality parts and not last, have premature failure issues or fitment problems. As always, you get what you pay for; your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The box says Duralast Gold which is Autozone’s brand. Duralast parts are manufactured to meet or exceed OE quality, durability, and performance. Whatever make of car you're driving, Duralast parts keep your car driving tough.

PARTS THAT FIT
YOUR EVERY NEED

Duralast's full range of auto parts makes it easy to get the right part at the right time. Whether you're changing your oil or rebuilding your engine - Duralast gets the job done right.
Look at the fine print on the box, with a a few exceptions duralast is made in China. You might get lucky but I only try and buy non-essential parts from stores like that. Wiper blades , bulbs, mud flaps etc.

When doing car repair, buy a quality part the first time and fix it once.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I Got It In!

I used a combination of Scotty Kilmer's grease idea 1A Auto's hammer idea.

Now I just have to lubricate the splines of the outer joint w/ a light coat of multipurpose grease and engage the outer joint w/ the hub.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Took Marilyn for a test drive and turned around before I even got off the street. It still sounds like a blender knocking around ice cubes which makes me think someone drained the differential while it was on blocks in my backyard for a month.

Guess I’ll have to rebuild it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
My neighbor who used to run Bavarian Motors on Chambers Lane in Simi Valley, CA retired https://www.yellowpages.com/simi-valley-ca/mip/bavarian-motors-13279057

He suggested putting Marilyn my 2004 Beetle up on blocks so I can run the car and find the cause of the noise.

I put it up her up on blocks and am ready to fire it up but first I went to the library and checked out the Chilton New Beetle 98-10 Repair Manual to see what it has to say.

Chapter 7B Automatic Transaxle
It looks like I have a 6-speed (09G) automatic transaxle.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
No Noise!

I fiired her up put her in drive and stood next to her but heard no noise other than the engine.

Could it be that the axle is in a different orientation since the wheels are hanging down while she's up on jack stands?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Transaxle Fluid and Filter

Might as well change the transaxle fluid and filter while she's in the air.

Chilton says I need VW automatic transmission fluid so I ordered a couple liters from Amazon:
2 of Genuine Audi (G055025A2) Automatic Transmission Fluid and a filter

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I got impatient, torqued my axle nut w/ the sequence in Chilton, lowered her to the ground then tried to tighten an additional 30 degrees but it wouldn’t budge.

Then I went for a test drive clicking all the way.

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
Most clicking issues, I have dealt with; were cv axle related but I suppose, anything is possible. Have you pinpointed the sound and is it coming, from the same axle you replaced? It would be nice, to have the car on a lift or jack stands; to have a helper, put the car in gear and you be able, to pinpoint, where the sound is coming from and then, decide what might be the issue. To isolate the noise; you could disconnect, the new axle from the transmission and see if the sound goes away, when you put the car in gear with the car lifted up off the ground. For the less expensive, rebuilt or nex axles; I wouldn't be surprised, if there was a quality control issue, right out of the box (so, don't assume; the new axle is fine, not ignore it as a possible source of the problem). Was this clicking issue; there, to being with and the reason, you replaced the axle, trying to address this issue?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I replaced the axle just because of the torn CV boot and there was some rattling noise. Now it’s just clicking like someone filed down the splines of the right side of the transaxle while I had disassembled for a month on jack stands in my backyard.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I had her in the air on jack stands w/ engine running and stood outside but didn’t hear any noise.

Fixed my bike today!

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
Many times, you need the weight, stress and load, to get the noises to make themselves known. We also, sometimes; have someone drive next to you and see if they can hear the noise, where it is coming from (in a deserted parking lot or away from traffic area).

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Clicking

Maybe I should just drive it until it fails.

I'll look pretty stupid driving down the street w/ that noise.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts