NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forums and would have thought I would be posting good news today. But the 2005 new beetle I went to purchase yesterday was gone. I was a day late. The price was amazing. So I did hesitate some. Now all I see is cars at least 2k more than that car was. So today I read up on the differences between all of the new beetles and really love the 2006 model. So now I have to up my budget and and go back to stalking cars for sale websites for months again. I am still in the dumps about losing the 2005. :(

I use to have a 2001 GLS beetle in 2001. I have been wanting another beetle for a long time.

Anyone have any suggestions about the prices of the new beetles. I have looked up kbb and the older models in my area are well above the value. I have also noticed that if carfax suggests because of the records the car can go for more, they REALLY up the price then. I just think it's crazy for me to pay 5k plus for a 1999 or 2000/2001 beetle when I can possibly luck up on finding a newer model at a reasonable price.Like this 2007 I am looking at for 7k. I don't know I am in one of those moods.

All suggestions welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Did you ever see the 2005 you wanted to buy in person? If so, that's a bummer that someone else snagged it up, but oftentimes, when something sounds too good to be true, that's because it is. My daughter started driving a few months ago, so I had to get another NB for myself. I saw one on Autotrader, a 2004 Platinum Grey with only 30K miles and a pricetag of $8000. However, when I went to look at it in person, and despite the photos looking good on the website, the car looked like it had been driven through a field of barbed wire and the interior looked and smelled like it had never been cleaned in it's 9 years of existence. A few hours later, I ended up buying a 2010 with 6000 more miles and $7000 higher in price to boot! I didn't plan on spending $15,000 for a used NB, but sometimes you have to cough up a bit more than you planned to get something nice. Best of luck in your pursuit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes I have seen some awful beetles.There are a tremendous amount of awful bugs that have never been taken care of. I even saw one that smelled of mold and the seats were covered in stains.I assume it is one of those storm cars floating about.I found out about the car on Thursday and called about it, and it was gone Friday. I did not see it in person but it had plenty of pics. 2005 for 4990$ 100k miles. The only problem I saw was the drivers side seat had some tears but I was gonna get a seat cover until I could get it upholstered. I was just shocked at the price. It also came with a 3 month warranty. I wish I had gone the same day, but I worried I could be looking at a lemon, and decided what the heck on Saturday and it was gone. I see your point. I am now going to go for my dream bug. I am gonna buy it in full at time of purchase and I will NEVER trade this one in! I will have to up my budget but not 15k!! lol Thank you for responding!

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
If it was gone, try to remember, it wasn't meant to be. :eek:

The right one, as you may know, will "call out" to you. I hope you find the right one! :)

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
I'm not sure what STATE you are in but....have you looked at the ORGS classified thread??
I noticed a limited edition 05 in your 7k or less price range there.

Click the link:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-classifieds/

Good luck in your search
:)

·
Daisy's Mae's Mom
171 Posts
Don't be depressed because your little Beetle is right around the corner! I have bought and sold cars on Ebay and if you inquire enough and buy one close enough, you can get amazing deals on there!

As far as the price of an 06, I just bought one a little over six weeks ago here locally. It had two owners and 42,818 miles on it. I have talked to both owners and know the background on it. It has been well taken care of. I just happened to see it on a car lot at a local dealership one Sunday afternoon. They were asking $13,500 but we ended up buying it for $12,500 (everything included) and they replaced the windshield and wipers and one headlight and grill piece. (previous owner hit a snow drift)

It would be worth it to drive around your town and maybe even four to five hours away to get one you want. If you can talk to the previous owners, that is a BIG help in deciding on the right one.

With enough persistence and fortitude you will be able to get the Beetle you want! Don't give up and don't stop looking until you find the perfect one for you! IT WILL HAPPEN! THINK POSITIVE!!!!:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you both for responding! I am in Maryland. I mostly look at autotrader, cargurus and craiglist to find places. I have been looking for months. But I know it will be worth it in the end:) I had only been looking at older models like 1999 & 2000.I should have just kept looking at those models! I had found a Beetle S in my price range and found out they are all manuals!:D I can only drive automatic. I thought about learning to drive a manual but in this awful traffic where I live I think I am better staying with what I know for the time being. If I was back home in SC I would get a manual. It's like having a 2k wedding dress budget and then you try on a 10k dress. Now that I see that the 2006 looks like the S beetle im like:confused: I am kinda leaning towards adding a more more to my budget and just geeting a newer model. I don't want to feel that I settled. I will keep looking and looking on here as well. Please feel free to msg me about any buggies for sale also. I really appreciate it. Thank you so much!:)

Love love Daisy beetle also btw!!! so cute!

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos once you nail down the 2006 or whatever NB you find, so we can ORGle them!!

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Older models from the late 90s and early 00s have the advantage of a lower price, but I've found that most also have a ton of miles. That's OK if the previous owners took care of them properly, but it's hard to know that for sure. Then again, this is a good time to buy older NBs while they're cheap, because I believe these will be the main Beetles you'll see at VW shows in a not-too-distant future.

·
Registered
249 Posts
When I bought my 2002 reflex silver gls, I actually went to look at an 04 convertible the dealership had. The price tag on the vert was out of site. The salesman looked at me and asked " Can you drive a stick?" I said, "It's been years, but I'll try"...... Way in the back of the lot was this silver beetle... Nothing spectacular but really clean. A little nervous, but I gave it a try. That was almost 4 years ago and I have not looked back. My friend bought the vert and had nothing but issues with it. So, with all that said..... Yes, your beetle will call out to you... You'll just have to be listening at the time....... ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the responses! I have seen some older ones with good miles and some with horrific miles. I am looking at a 2004 right now with 139k miles. I have seen alot of convertibles for sale in my area but I am too scared of the maintenance. The one I missed out on was reflex silver. That's such a nice color.

I love this website and how everyone is so friendly and into bugs just as much if not more than I am. Everyone's comments have really helped me because I was really upset Saturday. I am one of those indecisive types and when I finally decide on something I am overly excited! I am looking at the classifieds on this website and on the other car websites.I am gonna throw an offer to this dealership and see if they take it.:) I am gonna find my buggy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts