VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
11,299 Posts
Are you planning on a tune? You'll have a permanent CEL if not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wouldn't do it unless it is your dedicated "track car" or the equivalent and then, why not remove and strip all non-necessary items such as power steering/brakes, A/C, entertainment systems, trim, accessories, and any other sources of excess baggage?
Not trying to be sarcastic at all. I once bought a VW GTI with the smog equipment removed, larger diameter exhaust installed, larger K04 turbo, a remapped ECU with a special Dave Yates custom tune, etc ......boy did that thing fly! The downside was that it was tuned on E85 FlexFuel (ethanol). I also had to join a special Facebook group called: "E85 Arizona" for no other reason than where to find and obtain good quality ethanol (flex fuel) since very few stations carry it, and of the one's that do ....sometimes the ethanol percentage isn't consistent. Don't forget that you'll have to get yourself a testing kit so you can check the fuel every single time you get fuel, or risk getting poor fuel that makes your car run shitty or not at all. Belonging to the facebook group helped make it easier to find good gas, as others will post their testing results, or a photo of it in the group. To see what I'm talking about here is the link: E85 Arizona View attachment 252126 View attachment 252126 View attachment 252127 View attachment 252127 View attachment 252126 View attachment 252127 View attachment 252126

·
Registered
12 Posts
HP gains were ok but IMO, at the cost of a mega inconvenience! Extra fuel cans sitting around, extra $$$$, an investment of time, and lots of patience is guaranteed! Don't forget the potential for speeding citations, and the resulting increase of your insurance premiums is surely a factor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts