VW Beetle Forum banner

Do you have (or will have) Satellite Radio?

• Sirius

Votes: 34 37.0%
  • XM

Votes: 32 34.8%
  • Not yet, but plan to get it

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • No way! I'm not paying for radio!

Votes: 16 17.4%

Satellite Radio

8K views 56 replies 31 participants last post by  DomoFizz 
#1 ·
Just thought it'd be interesting to get a poll going about Satellite Radio. I got mine two months ago and couldn't be happier. I've heard nothing but good things from people who own either service.

Seemed silly to be paying for radio, but I gotta say. It's well worth it!

#4 ·
Steinola said:
Heck with radio.
iPod... my music, my way... no subscription ;)
I felt that way once. But the satellite keeps me up on the new stuff. I don't watch much TV and the only radio station here is country. So the only way I can keep current is XM. I love it I have 4 of them (3 cars, 1 home)

#5 ·
:D I'm a BIG XM fan. I've had it in our '99 NewBeetle for about five years. Currently have it in three cars, at home and work. No commercial radio (can't tolerate it anymore), and no CDs. Just XM radio all the time. I like the 60s, 70s, and Top Tracks.

#6 ·
-1- said:
:D I'm a BIG XM fan. I've had it in our '99 NewBeetle for about five years. Currently have it in three cars, at home and work. No commercial radio (can't tolerate it anymore), and no CDs. Just XM radio all the time. I like the 60s, 70s, and Top Tracks.
I've had XM almost as long and I WILL never go back to free radio!

#7 ·
We have both: Sirius in mine, XM in the 'vert. We both highly prefer Sirius over XM, and would get rid of it in the 'vert if we can.

In XM, I cannot find a channel that I like. Lucy? Fred? Ethel? What is that? Just when you think you find one that you like, some other genre comes on. It seems that all of the channels are all over the board. To be honest, Unsigned is the only one I can count on.:rolleyes:

With Sirius, you got: Alt.Nation, Octane, 1st Wave, Classic Vinyl, Buzzsaw....what I'm saying is, you have an idea of what they're playing on that channel. Lucy? Fred? Ethel? What the heck is that????:(

#8 ·
Pay for radio? I don't think so... but then again, I probably would have said that about cable TV or DirecTV too. But for me, right now, I just don't ever it see it happening.

When I listen to radio, it's local talk radio. When I want music, I have my trusty CD's. I'd go MP3 in a heartbeat if there were some reasonably priced way to connect it. But I've got two vehicles to consider that in, so for now I'm staying with what I've got.

#10 ·
gotta love XM!

i love XM i've had it for about a year now. The quality is awsome, and i work at the airport so the weather and traffic reports com in handy. for the most part im usually listening to 20 on 20. my dad has sirius and i gotta say i dont like it. but to each its own just enjoy what you have

#11 ·
...further more

i jump into my friends car the other day and i was going out of my mind. he was like whats wrong and im like this fm junk aint cutting it. he isisted that he would never pay for xm. so i gave him my roady 2 which i had lying around and bought him a year subscription for as a gift. needless to say he loves it and usually calls me to turn it on and blah blahh. i think i have to go steal the roady back so he stops calling about O&A

#13 ·
Sirius, I am an NPR fan, and the 3 stations in my area do not play much of the talk....

#14 ·
dnyed said:
With Sirius, you got: Alt.Nation, Octane, 1st Wave, Classic Vinyl, Buzzsaw....what I'm saying is, you have an idea of what they're playing on that channel. Lucy? Fred? Ethel? What the heck is that????:(
Alt Nation rocks! That's my favorite channel!

#16 ·
Stern or O&A

i like stern alot. on the other hand o&a are pretty good. especially when they make fun of howard. but like i said everyone has their own tastes and that why there is a market for xm and sirius.

#17 ·
The way I see it...people pay for Cable TV and that has commercials ALL over it. So for a couple bucks a month I can enjoy the one piece of life that has no commercials. I mean when you think about it every where you look is a commercial.

Bulletin Boards, TV, Local Radio, Grocery Stores, everything is a commercial.

So XM is WELL WORTH THE MONEY!

#19 ·
Sirius Folks...

How is the NFL programming? Just noticed this weekend that they carry the NFL and being in Dallas I never get to see a Saints game, that would be a cool bonus!

Also - what hardware are you Sirius guys using? Anyone using a portable device? I'm wanting to go from Home to Car to Work...unless streaming it over the net is just as good...then mainly Car.

#21 ·
Antoine,

I have the Sirius Sporter Replay. I'm very happy with this player. I have two car kits, so I can move it around depending on which car I'm in. I also have the boombox. However, keep in mind, you need to have a clear shot of the satellite to get reception. So, unfortunately, the boombox doesn't always work as great as I'd like. So at work, I mostly stream it off the internet, which works great, and comes with your subscription (no extra fee).

Also, I believe you have Dish Network? If so, keep in mind you can listen through there (although, I think they only offer the music channels, not the talk channels).

A couple nice things about the Sportster Replay. You can pause, rewind, forward live radio, just like with a DVR or TiVo. You can also program in your favorite songs, and it'll let you know when it's about to be played on another channel. You can also program your favorite sports teams, and it will scroll their scores across the screen.

Plus, the colors aren't too far off of the New Beetles, which is cool.

#22 ·
:bigthumb: Yeah - I could easily stream it at work...what direction does the satellite beam from? I have a south window at work and might be lucky.

Yeah, Dish only has the music - I checked it out last night, sooo wanted them to carry the NFL and it would also be great if they carried Howard's channels so we could keep the unit in the car and be covered at the house with Dish and work with Streaming.

I'll look into that unit - love the ability to replay...that's pretty cool.

I guess the boom box is really for when you are outside and not really for inside use.

#23 ·
Well, not necessarily. It says that when in the house, it's best to point it out a window.

The signal sometimes just doesn't make much sense. I can be driving down a flat road, nothing inside, go under an underpass, and lose it for a split second. I can lose it from time to time driving under trees.

But then there are also times I can get halfway through a rather long tunnel before losing the signal. So you never really know.

I'm actually not sure what direction the signal beams from. I have read that they have 3 satellites, and two are positioned over the US at any one time. Not that that helps you any.

#24 ·
If you are a NFL fanatic, you must have Sirius.

Not only do they have a dedicated NFL channel, but you can listen to every game (including preseason)- and the hometown feed at that. So, for example, I am an Oakland Raider fan in New Jersey, but I listen to KSFO out of San Fran on Sirius. I LOVE IT! The score is on the display too.. oh I'm so happy just thinking about it.. I flipped back and forth between games driving from MD to NJ yesterday.

I have the Blaupunkt America which matches the NB interior perfectly - that Sportster Replay is HOT! :)

So.. yeah I got satellite.. guess which company :)

#25 ·
'Nother question - I went and looked at Best Buy at the Sportster Replay and quized the sales associate and he mentioned that everything was $13, but when we asked him about the Stern Channels coming online soon he said that those channels would be a premium channel and it would have an upcharge...any news of that? And Pete will you be listening to channel 100 on thursday morning? :LOL:

I did see the thing about the Hometown NFL - so I will be able to enjoy the New Orlean Saints from their WLL feed :clap:

#26 ·
BeetleBon said:
If you are a NFL fanatic, you must have Sirius.

Not only do they have a dedicated NFL channel, but you can listen to every game (including preseason)- and the hometown feed at that. So, for example, I am an Oakland Raider fan in New Jersey, but I listen to KSFO out of San Fran on Sirius. I LOVE IT! The score is on the display too.. oh I'm so happy just thinking about it.. I flipped back and forth between games driving from MD to NJ yesterday.

I have the Blaupunkt America which matches the NB interior perfectly - that Sportster Replay is HOT! :)

So.. yeah I got satellite.. guess which company :)
See, I love that, the NFL deal, but here is my question:

Let's say you have the DirecTV (which I do), and I am watching the Redskins game. I know the SAT delays the game by about five (or so) seconds...does the SIRUS also delay that much? Or would one or the other feed be ahaed all the time?

In other words, it would stink to be listneing to the game, and it's ahead of the action on the field, or watching and it's ahead of the play by play on the radio...

(One thing I miss from D.C. is listening to Sonny, (insert new guys name here), and Sam broadcast the Redskins. )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.