VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was checking out a radiator leak (which is a damaged hose) when I glanced back and saw this! Is my 2000 beetle worth saving, if it can be at?

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
I'm confused. All I see in that photo is a converter that needs to be replaced and that can be done with under a couple hundred of bucks.

Is there something more that I'm missing?

S-

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what that is? All i saw was a dangling piece of the exhaust system that looked expensive. Is it easy to replace?

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
If you take it to a exhaust shop, they should be able to replace it for $200 or $300.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only thig is that I have a diesel, so the replacement ones I'm finding online are all 400-ish. How can a exhaust shop be cheaper than the supposed part? Am i missing something?

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Check a company called "RockAuto.com"

They start at about $120.00

runs about $250 for a better quality one. And of course, if you live in CA or NY? Then you'll get hosed with the 'carb' requirements for converters.

Also do not forget about eBay. Might be worth a shot to see if anyone has a new one at a good discount.

S-

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in Virginia, and the converter is still about 300$ from that site. Le sigh! And I had just paid this thing off too!

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
It could easily be patched with a slip joint for about 20 bucks. Or, welded by a competent shop after the break is cleaned up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I live in Virginia, and the converter is still about 300$ from that site. Le sigh! And I had just paid this thing off too!
I'll take it off your hands for $450, the whole car that is... Yeah, easy fix. Excuse to get a better exhaust system.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
cat

Put a new CAT and both O2 sensors while your there. If you plan on keeping this car I would replace the whole exhaust because pretty soon your muffler will go out , then the o2's or get holes in exhaust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts