VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first off I probally jumped when purchasing a 1998 Beetle with only 85,000 miles for my wife as she has always wanted one and the kids are finally done with college and now it's our time, but I now own it. After buying it privately I started doing the research I should have done before hand. All the research has got me concerned as there seems to be a lot of problems with the 98 beetle. It has the 2.0 liter gas engine w/out Turbo and a 5 speed manual transmission. Other than regular maintance, changing the timing belt at every 60,000 miles along with the water pump what do I need to be doing to keep my wife in her new to her Beetle. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,419 Posts
first off, welcome to the .org!

a great first step---lots of info throughout the forums, and people willing to help if you have questions.

altho' there are typical New Beetle glitches, there are still many around with lots and lots of miles...my 2001 NB is a neophyte with a mere 218,000 miles on the clock, 1.8 turbo and five speed.

again, welcome, and post pics when you have a minute.

Warren

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the org. I have a 98 and a 99 2.0 5 spd and am curious which lot of problems you discovered.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Welcome! Fortunately you have the 5 speed so half your problems are gone right there. I'm not positive if the timing belt kit had been changed to increase the mileage to 100k or not but somebody will chime in. Only 2.0 problem I can think of is O2 sensors and then the typical fuse top battery melting from the fans/inadequate alternator cable sizing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts