VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone...
I'm Michael and I'm from the greater Pittsburgh area.

Just bought a 2003 New Beetle Convertible this week. This is the second VW I have owned. Previously I had an '04 Touareg that I absolutely loved and still miss.

I was drawn to the beetle by the fond memories of my Touareg in addition to the need to add a small fuel efficient car to save us from the MPG hell of driving 4wd SUV's (damn winters) exclusively.

BUT.........

I definitely need YOUR help not getting my self nauseous from buyers remorse; as I'm getting worried that the "little bit of TLC" that this car needed may be more than I can stomach!
That being said, I love these vehicle specific forums and find it very rewarding to help out when I can and get to know people in the process. Heck- it would be cool to find a VW buddy local to me through here too, so if you're reading this from nearby Pittsburgh send me a PM!

OK, already long-winded...
I guess I'll lay out a short list of the things i'm dealing with both so you know; and in-case you know of the perfect thread to ease my nerves!

** Tiptronic tends to not work. If i've tried it 10 times the past couple days, it worked on 3 of them. It seems as though it doesn't realize I moved the shifter over into the tiptronic position as nothing changes on the dash when I do (except the three times it worked, in which case it worked normally)

** Passenger door not opening from inside latch (passenger must reach out and pull outside latch to exit) and one time the outside latch didn't work either.

** Rear drivers window operates in reverse. If you press the button to put it down - it goes up; if your press the button to put it up - it goes down. INCREDIBLY annoying. Need to figure this out right away!

** Car doesn't seem to know when the door is opened. Therefore the windows don't adjust for the convertible top. I noticed that the light on the driver door panel isn't lighting, but don't know if that's because the bulb is bad or because it isn't being told to turn on not realizing the door is open.
Would use the key as a temporary solution to seal up the windows after exiting; except for the above issue of the back window doing the opposite of what it should.

** Need to seal up the back window; plan to gorilla glue the fabric back to the top and silicon the perimeter.

** Power top does not work; previous owner honestly thought it was a manual top (he barely used the car during the several years he had it due to a severe health issue). I could live with having to open and close it manually myself; except for how do I get the car to not FREAK OUT if I want to drive with the top open? Any way to satisfy the yellow light and buzzer?

--------

So, those summarize the bulk of my current indigestion...

Additionally

I currently have my passenger headlamp assembly torn apart half in front of the a/c vent in my living room and half in my barely warm oven trying to dry out as it had tons of water in it.

I have a fog light out, and can't get under there to figure out if the bulb is actually bad or the connector that just kind dropped down when I reached under to feel around was just not making contact - but I couldn't feel around my way to reconnecting it lol.

I can't tell if I have a third brake light or a reflector on my trunk; doesn't light up but I don't see any wires going to it nor do I see any kind of bulbs or access to it.

---

And I have a wishlist...

I wish I had HID's
I wish it had a Double DIN dash opening so I could consider modern stereos perhaps with built in nav and backup cam.
I wish it had a selection for parking lights, if I had the option I'd roll with parking lights and fogs only when not dark.
I wish my center console was storage space not a cd changer. why would I want to mess around with CDs? If I had that 2din dash opening my iphone would be all I'd need ;-)

OMG, if you read all of this God bless you!!!

·
Registered
14,184 Posts
Where did you purchase the car; do they have a warranty and can you return the car, what are the auto sales return laws in PA? I'm not trying to sound sarcastic; with that many problems and the transmission in particular, the repairs could get expensive quick! OUCH! If it is a dealership; I would want to see if they can repair things, like the transmission or see what options you have at this point in the game. The transmission; would be the potential big ticket repair bill; the rest, probably not as expensive but convertible top issues, could be spendy as well. Maybe the convertible; triptronic folks, on here... can chime in on repairs costs and what their experiences, have been. Are you a DIY type of person and how deep, down the proverbial "rabbit hole" do you want to go; to get this thing, back in tip top shape... would it be better to find one that is fully functional, if backing out of the deal... is a option, at this point?

PS: I lived in Greensburg PA, when I was a kid! Beautiful country and found childhood, memories! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
billymade,
Thanks for the reply. I purchased the car from an individual / private seller; so no returns or warranty.

I actually don't feel like there is really anything wrong with the transmission itself; as it shifts pretty smooth and when it should, its just if I want to use the tiptronic feature it usually doesn't seem to recognize that I am trying to do so. So if there's an easy fix, sure I'd love to use it like I used to in my Touareg- but I could live without if I have to... But I still feel like the tranny itself is ok.

As far as the convertible top part; I can also live without it being power operated for at least the next year; especially if I can get it to not warn me constantly if I open it manually and drive...

What I really need in that regard is for the windows to seat correctly; which all my reading so far points to these electric door latch things, which right now seems too complicated for me to tackle at home; yet too expensive for it to go to the shop. Would love to come across a local DIYer for that one right about now!!

Oh and I forgot one item on my list in the OP post, the airbag light is on too!

·
Registered
14,184 Posts
Well, do you want to fix it yourself or have a professional do it? Are you a diy guy or have the pro's handle the repairs, kinda person? :confused:

PS: I can only assume; if you are a former '04 Touareg owner, you know the drill; VW's need repairs and maintenance, they cannot be ignored! :)

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
THe door should be an easy fix at least, Google on YouTube on how to remove the door panel and once it is off there is a cable with a hook on it that has come unhooked from the door lever. Two Philips screws behind the Door pull and three t20 screws at the bottom of the door to get the panel off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Regarding the third brake light/reflector -- it is a brake light! Not sure if it changed w/ the 2003 model, but with the 2001, you have to replace the entire light assembly, and it is not cheap (I believe the assembly itself is about $80). You can find installation instructions online, if you google it. I paid the dealer to do it - which was also expensive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Regarding the third brake light/reflector -- it is a brake light! Not sure if it changed w/ the 2003 model, but with the 2001, you have to replace the entire light assembly, and it is not cheap (I believe the assembly itself if about $80). You can find installation instructions online, if you google it. I paid the dealer to do it - which was also expensive.
This issue magically resolved itself. Third brake light is working.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THe door should be an easy fix at least, Google on YouTube on how to remove the door panel and once it is off there is a cable with a hook on it that has come unhooked from the door lever. Two Philips screws behind the Door pull and three t20 screws at the bottom of the door to get the panel off.
Yeah, this one I need to tackle ASAP, along with figuring out how to fix the issue of my rear window on the drivers side operating in reverse (up is down and down is up).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, this one I need to tackle ASAP, along with figuring out how to fix the issue of my rear window on the drivers side operating in reverse (up is down and down is up).
Great news... I successfully fixed my internal door latch on the passenger door; so you no longer need to reach outside to exit the car!!!! YAY!!

However, I noticed some kind of connectivity issue that seems to be at the big harness going to the motor/regulator that seems to make the door "go dead" on like every other close- i.e. no switches light up or work, open the door and give it a good hard close and it comes back to life. Blah.

Next, I really need to get this rear window going in the proper direction... I hate the idea of taking the whole back seat out to take the B panel off just to have no idea what i'm looking at- still doesn't make sense if its just a plug back there, the plug shouldn't fit backwards so how could it be acting as though a pair of wires are backwards?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did my first vw DIY oil change last night and that was a fun adventure. I had to drive up onto 2x4's just to be able to get my floor jack under the car... and my 'skid plate' had way more screws/bolts to remove than the 2.0 diy thread I read on here--- but none the less, she now has fresh mobil-1 0w40 euro oil and a matching mobil-1 oil filter.

------

new question: is there an option for my headlights to stay on for a bit when I exit the car? whenever I turn the ignition off, my lights go off... i'd like for it to light my way from the car to the house for me then shut off- like every other car i've had that was made since 1996 lol.

oh, and i'm going to order a new euro headlight switch so that I can finally turn on just the parking lights- if i'm not broke when I get back from my beach trip lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Last night was a big night for me...
No more buzzing telling me my top isn't locked down when open... no more opening and closing by hand.......
My power top is working like it should!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My NBC took it's first road-trip since under my command.
About 650 Miles down to the beach, about 120 while I was there and then another 650 back home. She did good.
Got between 30 and 32 mpg.

Only Downsides; my drivers window seems loose, got a bit of a rattle to it and now I'm scared its gonna fall. And, my drivers door latch which I've been trying to bring back to life would randomly decide to think its open (light and buzzer) when going over bumps on the highway (though the first two weeks I had her I could not get her to admit the door was ever open lol).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Vcds autoscan

Also,
Now that we're back home, awaiting all of the bugs to be washed away from the bumper hood and windshield- We have done our first Auto-Scan with VCDS.
I'm pasting the scan below- but do you guys think I should just keep the scan here as we work through the issues or also post them somewhere outside of the new member forum?

VCDS Version: Release 12.12.0 (x64)
Data version: 20130910

Saturday,30,August,2014,20:15:39:62939

Chassis Type: 1Y (1Y - VW New Beetle Cab (2003 > 2010))
Scan: 01 02 03 08 15 17 19 22 25 26 29 35 37 39 46 54 56 65 75

VIN: 3VWCK21Y23MXXXXXX Mileage: 244530km/151943miles
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: None
Part No: 06A 906 032 KC
Component: 2l ULEV NB-C A6 G 4795
Coding: 00003
Shop #: WSC 00066
VCID: 69D95B2F138C395623D-5072
3VWCK21Y23M310527 VWZ5Z0C0178069

3 Faults Found:
18613 - Performance Malfunction in Cooling System
P2181 - 35-00 -
16804 - Catalyst System; Bank 1
P0420 - 35-00 - Efficiency Below Threshold
16839 - EVAP System
P0455 - 35-00 - Large Leak Detected
Readiness: 0000 0000

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 09G-927-750.lbl
Part No: 09G 927 750 N
Component: AQ 250 6F 0302
Coding: 0000008
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
VCID: 3C77D27B7C9E7CFE88B-5072

1 Fault Found:
01045 - Tiptronic Switch (F189)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent - MIL ON

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1C0-907-37x-ABS.lbl
Part No: 1C0 907 379 L
Component: ABS FRONT MK60 0101
Coding: 0004097
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 3365F94751C0B386591-5072

No fault code found.

Address 15: Airbags Labels: 1T0-909-605.lbl
Part No: 6Q0 909 605 E
Component: 08 AIRBAG VW7 0517
Coding: 0012344
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 3979CB6F73AC49D693D-5072

6 Faults Found:
00591 - Seat Belt Switch; Driver (E24)
006 - Short to Plus - Intermittent
00592 - Seat Belt Switch; Passenger (E25)
006 - Short to Plus - Intermittent
00592 - Seat Belt Switch; Passenger (E25)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
00591 - Seat Belt Switch; Driver (E24)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
00003 - Control Module
014 - Defective
00532 - Supply Voltage B+
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

Address 17: Instruments Labels: 1C0-920-x4x.lbl
Part No: 1C0 920 941 L
Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. M73 V03
Coding: 03234
Shop #: WSC 00000
VCID: 29591B2FD30CF956E3D-4A3A
3VWCK21Y23M310527 VWZ5Z0C0178069

1 Fault Found:
00771 - Fuel Level Sensor (G)
30-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

Address 19: CAN Gateway Labels: 6N0-909-901-19.lbl
Part No: 6N0 909 901
Component: Gateway K<->CAN V032
Coding: 00006
VCID: F0EFB64BB056489EE43-4A9C

No fault code found.

Address 26: Auto Roof Labels: 1Y0-959-255-HYD.lbl
Part No: 1Y0 959 255
Component: VSG NBC 2604
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
VCID: FDF19F7FA70435F67F5-5072

1 Fault Found:
01332 - Door Control Module; Passenger Side (J387)
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent

Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: 1C0-959-799.lbl
Part No: 1C0 959 799 G
Component: 6J Komfortgerát HLO 0004
Coding: 00256
VCID: 3B75D16729907BC6811-4A9C

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 1Y1959801
Component: 6J Tõrsteuer.FS KLO 0001

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 1Y1959802A
Component: 6J Tõrsteuer.BF KLO 0001

Subsystem 3 - Part No: 1Y0959811
Component: 6J Tõrsteuer.HL KLO 0001

Subsystem 4 - Part No: 1Y0959812
Component: 6J Tõrsteuer.HR KLO 0001

4 Faults Found:
01332 - Door Control Module; Passenger Side (J387)
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent
00929 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Passenger Side (F221)
54-10 - Incorrectly Equipped - Intermittent
01331 - Door Control Module; Driver Side (J386)
37-00 - Faulty
01334 - Door Control Module; Rear Right (J389)
37-00 - Faulty

Address 56: Radio Labels: 1J0-035-18x-56.lbl
Part No: 1C0 035 157 D
Component: Radio DE2 0006
Coding: 06033
Shop #: WSC 22592
VCID: 1D313FFF974415F69F5-515A

No fault code found.

End ---------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
14,184 Posts
That is a ton of codes; I would save the scan, clear the codes and see if any codes come back. Trouble codes remain in memory; they tend to build up over time if not cleared, see if any come back and then investigate those codes for possible current problems with your car.

You can look up the codes here: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, I have already done that.
While I suspect several of the codes will come back over time (such as the cooling system and catalyst codes) I am unable to clear my airbag light at all as the [00003 - Control Module 014 - Defective] code returns immediately upon clearing it.

Is my airbag control module really defective or is this something that commonly displays as a result of other fixable things? I'd like to get this one sorted out before I feel the need to tear into my instrument cluster and put black tape over the awful light.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
I'll guess your airbag code is caused by a broken/chafed wire under one of your seats for your seat airbags. Unbolt the seats, tilt back, look for bad wires. Follow the big yellow connectors.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts