VW Beetle Forum banner

scheduled maintenance

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  kcbeetle 
#1 ·
Should I have the dealer change the oil so my record book can be stamped? How important is that for re-sale? I would like to do it myself but don't want to void the warranty. We are at the 20k mark and am wondering if I should have the recommended maintenance done. All thoughts welcome.

#2 ·
theres a bunch of oil change places who go by factory maintenance/warranty standards, and advertise as doing such. for one, (i'm not advertising here, just throwin a name so kcbeetle can investigate further) SuperLube is warranty safe. As far as stamping the book goes, it would make sense that the dealer would stamp your book with a receipt from a warranty-safe shop, but thats just spitballin. ive never done it or been to SuperLube or anything like that because i have no warranty to worry about. if i were you i'd call the dealer and one of the warranty-safe shops to investigate.

hope that helps. good luck :wave3:

#3 ·
Usually if you can prove the service was done (keep the receipt for years on end?) it's alright. But have your 40K tune-ups done at the dealership.

But check with your warranty company; they MAY only authorize services completed by vw. Alot of them get in bed with eachother like that. That way VW can sell more service work, and the warranty service can void your claims easier (saving them money, some of which they pass on to VW).

Warranty == insurance, and the only way to be profitable in the insurance business is to not take risks... ie, stack the cards.

#4 ·
As long as you have ALL of the receipts the warranty will be OK. Just be prepared for a fight at some dealers. The scheduled maintenance is there so your car will last as long as possible. Skip some of the service, and your car may suffer, and your warranty might suffer too. You need not have it done at the dealer to same on money.

#6 ·
Porkchop said:
Keep it forever and do all maintenance yourself and you'll never have to worry about resale value. :)

(this is what I am doing)
ditto. :goodjob:

that's why i couldn't give a good answer.

#7 ·
I plan on keeping my cars forever barring outside forces such as inattentive idiot drivers. I do the maint myself and I save a lot of money to buy other VW things. Doing an oil change yourself does not void any warranties. I have used my extended warranty a few times and oil change or maint was never brought up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.