NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the Pick and Pull thing yesterday for parts for our 2001.

The yard had a 2000, same color as ours. So we went through a foot of snow, and of course---The car is in the REAR corner of the salvage yard about 3/4 of a mile down the road. Now I've only got 35% heart function left after the blowout a few years ago...So as cheap as I am? The misses and I wandered through the yard...

At any rate. Here's the tally

Right Fog Light (ours is busted apart from the prior owner nailing a curb.)

Left Headlight (The inside pivot for the aim was busted on ours. It's held in place by cardboard and super glue. Had to get it to pass inspection)

Rear Hatch mounted CD player 6-disc. (been looking for that one)

The radio itself (I'll post about ours. It's got an interesting issue with the controls)

Drivers side door handle (Spare)

Drivers side door latch (Spare)

One hubcap to replace our missing one.

The total bill? $76.00 including tax.

We missed out on the heater motor, resonator, high mount brake light, and the coil pack was the wrong one. (AEG engine, ours is AVH)

I think that made out pretty good. Everything cleans up nicely.

S-

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Told the wife. The used fog light alone runs about $40 to $65 bucks for a used one. The headlight? Quite a bit more. Plus the one I nipped? Has the black plastic wiring cover (ours is missing)

S-

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I love pick and pulls. I tripped over a turbo S last month by accident and ended up pulling the 6 speed manual tranny from it for $124. Got all the other things I would need for a switch from OM1 to manual. Debating if I really want to do all the work to install it. Don't mind the manual labor part, its the requiring of the ECU and whatnots to make it work an keep the cruise control that worries me. Got an offer for $1500 on the tranny as it sits the day after I pulled it and that was without even wanting to sell it, so even if I decide not to use it I will still come out ahead.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good one!

I was fairly depressed with the other yard in the area. They have 2 dark blue 2000 Beetles. One a TDI with 300,000 miles and a matching one gasser--121,000. They want 2,200 for both and they are claiming "Priced for Dealership sale only at WholeSale".

(both need a power steering rack, so they can't sell them to outsiders for legal reasons??)

$2,200 for 300,000 mile TDI at wholesale? Then the guy slips and says they just want what they have into it for $1900. (Now the didn't pay anywhere near that....) Few weeks later? Guys says he will sell either of them for $1500....

And of course...they have a few Golfs and Jettas..but not one Beetle in the yard.

The other local yard? The guy stated they pull basic stuff off any VW..and then crush it for scrap. So if you need body panels, engine parts...etc... No Dice.

We got lucky with the Auburn yard. Just hate the fact everything is on a gentle grade 'hill' for drainage....and this trip? No plowing with over a foot of snow.

S-

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Interesting to hear tedybear. Our local yards will not sell whole vehicle, only parts. Not sure why. I have seen a few that I have thought, man how I wish I could get the whole darn car to pick at my leisure. Course I'm sure they would ask outrageous price like you encountered even though they only pay like $300-$400 a car, if that.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
:banana:WINNING:banana:

I'm hoping to have the same success as you all in my quest to snag a 5-speed manual tranny. Calling LKQ per Kristin's suggestion tomorrow.
Hope you find something. I'm pretty sure they will be able to check all LKQs and let you know if there's one they can have shipped in. They ship amongst themselves all the time.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting to hear tedybear. Our local yards will not sell whole vehicle, only parts. Not sure why. I have seen a few that I have thought, man how I wish I could get the whole darn car to pick at my leisure. Course I'm sure they would ask outrageous price like you encountered even though they only pay like $300-$400 a car, if that.

I think it depends on the state for the salvage laws, and if the yard actually has a license to sell used cars. Due to the two out front needing repair? They are only to sell them to dealerships for liability concerns. If a car comes in and is purchased by the yard, and it's in good shape? (passes a NYS inspection) They can "Flip" the car with a normal title, not the dreaded "Salvage" title. They have the state license to resell.

S-

·
Registered
40 Posts
Picked a drivers heated seat, complete center armrest and bracket, and the complete heated seat/hazard/defrost lower dash for $80 the other day. The yard has 3 beetles.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The seats in this one where pretty good. Sadly they where intentionally knifed by the salvage yard. It's illegal to sell used air bags in NYS unless they have been professionally 're certified' by a licensed shop. (that can probably cost as much as a new air bag) So where the air bags where? Including the dash panel and steering wheel? Sliced and Diced.

S-

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here in Ontario the leave the cars completely intact. It wasnt a upull yard though. I got them to take $20 off the price if I took the parts of the car myself though :). We needed a seat because a previous owner had swapped the driver seat out for a non heated. I am spoiled and wanted the heated seat lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts