NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting on my dad's behalf, he drives a 2003 beetle tdi long distances quite frequently and accumulates alot of insects on the bug :) he took it upon himself while washing the car to try and use a scotch-brite pad to remove the bugs, well it worked but it also took the shine off of the paint, any suggestions? would appreciate any input as this will be my car soon and i want it to look its best :)

·
treiber gefunden
882 Posts
The sheen is the clearcoat, take it to the body shop. How big was the affected area and how new was the pad? I don't think that'll buff.23 yrs ago my friend "washed" his dad's vw Kombi the same way and it had to get repainted. Of course there was no clearcoat back then.

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Depending on how hard he rubbed, you may still have clear on it. First just try some car wax to see if that works at least a little bit. ;) If it does, you can fully detail it yourself or pay a detail shop to do it. :D Hopefully he didn't rub the clear off of it as it will definitely start peeling further. :eek:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Thats gonna take a long time without a buffer. If you're not familiar with using one, it's best to take it to a detailer to do. If you do it wrong, you will do more harm than good. If you want to do it by hand (get ready for some hard work) you need to use a rubbing compound first to remove the fine scratches. Use a good rubbing compound, the good ones get finer as you use them. Then follow that with a good wax/polish. It's going to take 2-3 hours of good elbow grease depending on how bad it is. The thing thats important about bugs (insects not cars) is you need to not leave them on there too long or they sort of "etch" the paint. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
I did that to my wife's Saturn back in the day before I understood how paint worked...now I paint and buff out about anything on my car...LOL.

Yeah, it depends on how deep the damage is. You can take it to either a body shop or a local detailer and have them look it over to see what they think. A body shop might be more willing to say repaint or re-clear...but if you can find a detailer their only service is wet sanding and buffing out the problems so they might level with you more honestly and let you know if it is something they can get out or if you are going to have to go to a body shop.

I would think at minimum it will need a good light rubbing compound buff out then put the shine back on with a few other products...mid damage would need a wet sand of the affected area then compound and buff out...if it goes to the paint then you are talking body shop.

How did I fix my wife's Saturn you ask...I collided with another car a couple years later and she got a new front end.:D Probably not the fix you are looking for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts