NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm repairing a 2008 VW New Beetle that I bought at an insurance auction. It's a 2.5 liter.

The car's driver's side airbag in the wheel was blown. I replaced it as well as the air bag control module and the driver's side seatbelt. The airbag light remained on when I reconnected the battery and started the car.

An Autel scan tool said that I had error 02511, Seat occupied recognition control module, j706 faulty.

I've called around to the independent shops that work on Volkswagens, and one told me that the Autel tool would be able to clear the code if the module was good, addding that the module was likely bad. After disconnecting the battery again I've taken the module out. Now I can't find another like it on the internet.

My question is how interchangable are they? Does it have to be the exact same part number? I've attached a photo of mine below. It says it's part number 28095739.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,809 Posts
Depending on your Autel scanner capabilities (which model are you using?); you may need a more advanced scan tool like the Riss Tech VCDS to perform, the basic settings/adaptation procedure. There is also; a VW TSB in relation, to a "PODS" software update, that is required when replacing the module (this may need to be done at the dealer)? I haven't done that particular repair but it looks like some advanced tools, programming and reading the TSB procedures maybe required.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/02511

Special Notes
When 02511 - Control Module for Seat Occupied Recognition (J706) 014 - Defective is stored in the North American Region (NAR):
2004 -> 2008 New Beetle and New Beetle Convertible (1C/1Y)
2005 -> 2008 Jetta (1K)
2006 -> 2008 Passat and Passat Wagon (3C)
2007 -> 2008 Eos, Gti, Rabbit, and R32 (1K)
Please see TSB # 69-11-01 or 2010347 (older reference includes 01-08-07 or 2010347). This TSB covers the dealer updating of the PODS module and should be checked or completed prior to replacing the module.

Another possibility, is having the original module repaired and then, programming may not be needed. I think, more research/troubleshooting would be required to figure out the problem and what is required to work with the modules you are getting a trouble code from. Some modules and airbag related modules; will have "crash data" on them; after a accident and need a competent repair shop to "rebuild" them to fix that issue.

You can look up VW parts and part numbers here: http://www.parts.vw.com

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Depending on your Autel scanner capabilities (which model are you using?); you may need a more advanced scan tool like the Riss Tech VCDS to perform, the basic settings/adaptation procedure. There is also; a VW TSB in relation, to a "PODS" software update, that is required when replacing the module (this may need to be done at the dealer)? I haven't done that particular repair but it looks like some advanced tools, programming and reading the TSB procedures maybe required.

02511 - Ross-Tech Wiki

Another possibility, is having the original module repaired and then, programming may not be needed. I think, more research/troubleshooting would be required to figure out the problem and what is required to work with the modules you are getting a trouble code from. Some modules and airbag related modules; will have "crash data" on them; after a accident and need a competent repair shop to "rebuild" them to fix that issue.

You can look up VW parts and part numbers here: Volkswagen National eStore

Thanks for the information. I'm not sure what model Autel that is. I borrowed it off of a friend and returned it. That site looks very helpful.

I've taken it to three shops. I don't know what programs they had, but none of them could clear the fault. Forgive me for being a newbie, but is a TSB a service bulletin? One of the shops printed some info about one relating to a 2008 like mine. I figured I'd try to track down a sensor myself before going to a dealer and trying to get them to fix anything, but I'll call a dealer on Monday. First I'll look into getting this module repaired.

Thanks again

·
Registered
11,809 Posts
Yes, a TSB is a technical service bulletin; these are issued to the VW dealers to inform them about particular repair issues. Sometimes; you can find the TSB online by search with number with Google. Most of the time; you will need access to service/repair info through VW's eRWin or something like Alldata to view and print it out. Try google; you might get lucky.

You might look at the free online manuals; there are some tsb's included in them:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/

Ultimately, you may need to seek professional help; whether you decide to have the module rebuilt or have it replaced with new (programming required).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts