VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
Looka good; i have a 02 Turbo S with the same seats and need mine redone as well (leather tearing up, seams coming undone, foam impacted on drivers side, etc).

Did you just have the gray, center areas; sectioned out or have all the material replaced? It also, looks like the shop; didn’t replicate, the “distressed”, not perfectly smooth look; from the factory stitching of the leather, in the center?

I’ve wondered if i removed the upholstery myself; then reinstall, if that would lower the cost if repairs (less labor costs)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks..
They had to redo all the grey and some parts of the outer edge black. I just told them to fix it, I didn't want to get into more money spending then I had to trying to replicate stress.
Like you said I'll be taking skin off myself when I do passenger seat hoping it will be cheaper.

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
So, did you remove the seat, then the seat cover diy and save $ that way or have them do everything on the drivers side? Any price difference!?

I have removed the covers myself before; the factory VW service manual has some good disassembly tips (not hard; just time consuming). In my case, i was repairing the seat heaters; as they commonly fail with the wires breaking, from being sat on, so many times! :) Repairing the broken heating element wire; has been, a successful fix for two seats i have done! :)

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
I have found the plastic interior pry tools are helpful and enable removing, installing seat plastics, upholstery, damage free.

Interior pry tools:

VW also, uses, some “hog rings” to attach the cover to the seat frame; these can be purchased online or at most hardware stores, harbor freight, etc.

Hog ring and pliers:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had them do drivers seat but I'll take skin off on passenger so it better be cheaper or I'll find another shop :).
I had already taken the seat apart another time and they are time consuming but way easier since no hog rings.

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
Keep us in the loop; as you tear things down and have the covers redone, reinstall the repaired upholstery. Many, people are in the same boat with worn, damaged upholstery on the New Beetle and the more info, the better to help others do the same thing. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts