NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any NBC owners experienced dinging from the Passenger side seatbelt when no one is sitting in the seat and NO WEIGHT is on the seat and the dealership is telling you that you have to keep it fastened? :confused:

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
I assume you're talking about the seatbelt flapping in the wind when you have the top down or the windows open?

Yes... definitely.

Why they couldn't have built a little bump out in the trim piece at the door (bottom of the interior of the "B pillar"... if there truly was one in a NBC) to protect the seatbelt from the wind is beyond me. I've thought about just adding something myself.

Another solution might be either a strip of velcro, or a couple of plastic clips (like the ones on the back of cell phone holsters).

But, yeah, out of the box, the only solution is to fasten the seatbelt even if there's no one in the seat. I had the service guy tell me this... then in the same breath said "but don't do that because it'll screw up the airbag sensor". Well, then, not much of a "solution", now, is it?!? I've since learned that this isn't true anyway... at least for 2003 NB's and above. The seatbelt does not affect the passenger SRS system... it's all done with weight sensors in the seat now.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks! I can't stand it when the seat belt flaps when your driving and its not fastened. The problem I am having is that the car thinks someone is in the seat and is warning you to fasten your seatbelt (but there is no one there) or no weight on the seat. Unless of course my imaginary friend is driving with me? :0

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Seemkay said:
Hey thanks! I can't stand it when the seat belt flaps when your driving and its not fastened. The problem I am having is that the car thinks someone is in the seat and is warning you to fasten your seatbelt (but there is no one there) or no weight on the seat. Unless of course my imaginary friend is driving with me? :0
Ahhhhhh... blimey... you were talking about something completely different.
I thought "dinging" meant "banging" ;)

No... I haven't had any problems with the seatbelt chime going off when no one was in the seat. Maybe you have a pinched wire under the seat?? Or I'm sure there's probably a way to adjust the amount of weight it takes to activate the seat sensors... maybe yours is just maladjusted to the point where 1/100th of a gram of dust is considered a "passenger" ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel for you!! That dinging makes me nuts! I would love to disconnect it. Passengers actually yell at my car because its so annoying....actually that part is kinda funny.

good luck...

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe getting better...

Dealership finally realized this is totally WRONG!!!!!! Taking it in tomorrow..Again.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I didn't have that problem but I found if I do have a passenger and they get out I have to put the car in park. Otherwise the chime will keep going off once they disconnect the seat belt, even after they get out. It seems once I put the car in park it re-sets the sensors. This can be annoying when you are just dropping someone off but it isn't really that big of a deal. One of the little quirks of my car I guess.:cool:

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its Fixed!!!!!

Got my car back last night......seems when they reset the transmission (through the computer) they MESSED UP a few things!!!!!!!!!! DAH!!!!!! :rolleyes:

**** SIDE NOTE****

There is an opening at my dealership for a service writer. THINKING ABOUT IT!!!!!!!:goodjob:

·
Registered
21 Posts
UK Beetles don't ding whennot fastened...

The Mazda I had before did, I disconnected it from under the seat, not sure if you US guys have something similar in your Bugs?

·
04 NBC Turbo Tiptronic
80 Posts
squish37 said:
I didn't have that problem but I found if I do have a passenger and they get out I have to put the car in park. Otherwise the chime will keep going off once they disconnect the seat belt, even after they get out. It seems once I put the car in park it re-sets the sensors. This can be annoying when you are just dropping someone off but it isn't really that big of a deal. One of the little quirks of my car I guess.:cool:
With mine, if i'm dropping off someone, i can leave it in drive and the chime will sound for a few seconds after the person gets out but then go off. You may want to try waiting a little longer.:eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts