NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2001 Beetle, 2.0 engine. Beautiful car. I had an oil change 3 weeks ago and in the days following I noticed oil spots in my driveway. The oil light came on two weeks later. My mechanic checked to make sure everything was tightened in reference to the oil change, and it was. There was no oil leak present from anywhere on the top. He also said there was no leak from the oil pan and that area altogether, and said the leak must be coming from the flywheel seal. He said because I added new fresh oil the pressure went up and an already damaged seal likely couldn't manage anymore. I don't know anything about this stuff. Does this seem like the only possibility, the flywheel seal which would require the whole transmission coming out?

·
Registered
11,916 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
10,997 Posts
I bet its leaking from the drain plug. May have been stripped from overtightening. Or they didn't replace the copper washer. I'd get under the car yourself and look at things. That explanation sounds a bit fishy to me. Is this a VW mechanic? Or just a general mechanic?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bet its leaking from the drain plug. May have been stripped from overtightening. Or they didn't replace the copper washer. I'd get under the car yourself and look at things. That explanation sounds a bit fishy to me. Is this a VW mechanic? Or just a general mechanic?
He's a mechanic who works on many VWs. He actually did check the drain plug. My worry is that removing the transmission is such a big job and was hoping it was something smaller that could be the cause.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Maybe not enough oil was put in after the last oil change and you didn't have to lose all that much before the oil light came on. Seems hard to believe you could lose 1-2 quarts in 2 weeks and not be able to tell where it is coming out. Especially since you don't mention excessive oil use before the oil change. I would try another oil change with new filter (could be the seal) and drain plug gasket and known-good oil level before concluding that you need to replace the rear main oil seal. Keep an eye on the oil level and see how much you actually are using.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually the correct amount of oil did go in after the oil change. I observed my mechanic putting 4 and a half quarts in. Now that it's leaking, my mechanic placed a white paper under the vehicle to show me the area the leak is coming from, an area where he says the flywheel seal is located. I have virtually no mechanical knowledge so I've done some searching on the internet to see if this is a common problem with these vehicles. Thus far, it seems as though it is not. He has checked the drain and everything regarding the oil pan and has assured me that it could only be the seal.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Put your car up on ramps. Get under it. Take off the splash shield. Clean off the bottom of the engine with brake cleaner. Let it dry. With you under the car, have someone start it. Watch where the leak appears.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Put your car up on ramps. Get under it. Take off the splash shield. Clean off the bottom of the engine with brake cleaner. Let it dry. With you under the car, have someone start it. Watch where the leak appears.
While I have gotten under a running car before, I avoid it when possible. I'd do everything above, but instead start it myself, let it run for a couple of minutes, then turn it off and inspect under the car. It's not like any leaked oil is going to disappear after you turn the car off.

I'd check "the usual suspects" first, which would include the seal on the drain plug, the seal on the oil filter, and the seals on the oil cooler (which is what the oil filter screws on).

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
leak

well we know it's leaking now and it was not leaking before the oil change? I know that in some cars if you overfill it by even 3/4 of a quart or one quart they start leaking at crank seals or in this case flywheel seal. I have seen it first hand experience...........just my opinion on this.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
The problem with getting under it AFTER you turn it off is that the oil will flow and you may not see where it actually originated. Don't be afraid of being under it, take the proper precautions, and find your leak. If you're nervous, leave it to a pro, running, on a lift.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
The oil pan can leak where the transmission bolts to the pan and it can be mistaken for a rear crank seal leak. If it were me, I would drop the oil pan, check the rear seal; if it is leaking there will be a wet oil trace, running or not. This will also either confirm/eliminate the oil pan as the possible cause.

This would be the least expensive thing to do.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wrong Weight Oil

My truck has "5W-20" label on the oil fill cap so two oil changes ago, I put that in.

Later, my oil light came on and I changed the oil with 5W-30. Now I have no problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts