NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y’all. Bought a 2010 VW Beetle, 2.5L 5 cyl engine a couple of months ago. Recently, took it for a thorough inspection that cost $110, so they could tell me why my check engine light came on and why I couldn’t get rid of an oil leak that seemed to be coming from above the filter.
Turns out my air is running lean because of an intake hose leak, and a leak from the rear main seal. There’s also oil coming from the vacuum pump, the rear crankshaft seal, and the valve gasket needs to be replaced. They said I had a small coolant leak that needed to be looked at as well.
They looked at my break pads and suggested that I change my rear pads and tires as they will be worn soon.
However, to do all the work themselves they’re charging a little over $5,000.
Is this work I can do myself without too much trouble? It seems like they’re charging $400 for a new vacuum pump but I can get one off ebay for like $70 and everything else doesn’t sound very complicated to do. What do you all think?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I always diy, but then I’ve been doing that for a long time. With the number of you tube videos that show you how to do something and the diy write ups on this site and tdiclub.com it’s fairly easy to tackle most jobs on these cars.

The rear crankshaft seal is the hard job that you listed, those involve pulling the transmission/engine most everything else is not that difficult you just tackle one job at a time. That rear crank seal could actually be the valve cover seal leaking down on the bell housing and looking like a rear seal leak. I would fix everything else and see if it is indeed leaking and if it is can you live with the amount of oil it’s leaking or not.

Fcpeuro.com pelicanparts.com , metalmanparts.com are all better sources for parts than eBay or amazon where you run the risk of cheap junk parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always diy, but then I’ve been doing that for a long time. With the number of you tube videos that show you how to do something and the diy write ups on this site and tdiclub.com it’s fairly easy to tackle most jobs on these cars.

The rear crankshaft seal is the hard job that you listed, those involve pulling the transmission/engine most everything else is not that difficult you just tackle one job at a time. That rear crank seal could actually be the valve cover seal leaking down on the bell housing and looking like a rear seal leak. I would fix everything else and see if it is indeed leaking and if it is can you live with the amount of oil it’s leaking or not.

Fcpeuro.com pelicanparts.com , metalmanparts.com are all better sources for parts than eBay or amazon where you run the risk of cheap junk parts.
Thank you!
I was under the impression that you would also have to remove the transmission to replace the vacuum pump? Also, do you think I would need to replace the pump or would you say resealing it would be fine?

My only issue with the RMS leaking, is that it is aiding that lean code according to the shop. They smoke tested, and found the intake pipe leaking air, as well as the RMS. So it does sound like it needs to be resealed or replaced, regardless of whether or not I can live with the oil. All in all, although it sounds like it's leaking a lot of oil, the drip is very small.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts