VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found the secondary air pump. I didn't take it out but I didn't see any rivets that could be drilled out and replaced. So, I'm assuming this one can't be repaired. I had a P0411 code come up last week(once). I did a reset and it has not come back up yet. I thought I was maybe just the gas cap. the air pump runs rough when I start up....not a "clean" sound like it was. Does this mean it needs to be replaced? The little rubber mounts looked ok as well. Also, are the ones available on ebay ok to use? Any opinions/help is greatly appreciated. All the help I have gotten on here has saved me a ton of money and with all the PM that I have done so far, I would have spent a few thousand had I taken it to a dealer...which would have meant selling the car. So thanks again, you guys are pretty sharp.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Some of the newer pumps; do NOT have the rivets, thus seem to be not repairable (using that technique). You might pull your pump and make sure, all the mounts are ok and hook up the pump to a 12V battery, feel/hear the noise it makes... while holding it in your hand. As with anything; they wear out like anything else, many times the loud noise people hear; is the mounts are broken and the pump with rattle, as it makes contact with the metal bracket. Dorman sells the mounts; a three piece kit for about $20, people here have said they have held up well, after a year of use or so. I would say; give the ebay mount s a shot, being so cheap or email the vendors, see where they are made.
It used to be; the pumps were only available from the original vendor who made the secondary injection system components; the German company, PIERBURG, it has finally been long enough that other aftermarket companies are making them now. I cannot vouch for their quality but a junkyard good used one, might be a option as well... if yours is worn out.

KSPG AG: Pierburg

http://www.kspg.com/fileadmin/media...erburg/Schadstoffreduzierung/pb_sec_air_e.pdf

VW part # listed: 06A959253E (check your old part/VIN # to confirm it is the right one)

Autozone; seems to be over $500 (Cardone Reman/GP/Sorenson), VW dealers new $502, other vendors selling the oem pierburg for about $300 or so; RockAuto sells the URO brand (usually Asian Junk) for about $120 A used original VW part, is starting to look like a viable option (check ebay or local junk yard)! :)

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1426957,parttype,4920

https://www.google.com/search?q=06A...rome&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8#q=06A959253E&tbm=shop

Mounts: (I would go with Dorman; over URO): Dorman 3 piece kit, for $15 (lifetime warranty):

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1426957,parttype,12168

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
ebay

Not to promote ebay, but the parts there for the sai pump/rubber pumper are okay I used them 1.5 year ago in my car and still running good.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, hopefully luck is on my side. I found one off of ebay out of an 07' vw for $65, no shipping charge and a 6 month warranty. I figured for 65 it wouldnt be a huge loss if it turns out to be junk.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Not sure if the parts are the same between engines. An '07 would be a 2.5L, not a 1.8T.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the part number off of the one i just took off and it matched the one that was in the photo on ebay...fingers crossed!! I guess i will know in a few days.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Maybe this could do the trick.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gq59cRA6IGI

Broken rivets replaces with screws and DOUBLE nuts.

OOPS! I just read your first post.....no rivets.
Well, maybe this video will help someone else out there with a similar problem.

:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news!!! I got my secondary air pump in today and it works!!!! YAY!! for now anyway. If it does fail, at least I know its not a difficult job and I don't have a ton of money sunk into this one. I do have a question though. Why is that stinkin EGR valve so expensive?! and how do I know when it goes bad?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Which valve; specifically are you talking about, the secondary air injection air valve (or as vw calls it; the "kombi" valve) or the one in front of the engine with the hoses? The valve; can be tested with a vacuum pump and according to others on this site; cleaned with a cleaner, if the valve holds vacuum.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Here is a video; that shows the kombi valve disassembled and how to should move, with the use of a vacuum pump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cZXaqANdEg

Here is another video; showing on car testing and off car, showing good/bad valve, how they should work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08flKdnIBQk

As to why they are so expensive; Pierburg was/is the OEM for these; for a long time, they were the ONLY one who made them, thus the high price. I think they are starting to be made; by other third party, aftermarket companies now... so, you might be able to find them cheaper, if a brand other then the German Pierburg.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Curious....has anyone tried to make their own hose(s) for the secondary air injection pump using the original fittings? ...and if so, how did it work?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
hose

Curious....has anyone tried to make their own hose(s) for the secondary air injection pump using the original fittings? ...and if so, how did it work?
Yes I read an article a while back about folks using 3/4 heater hoses/clamps/elbows and use the same end connections. You might want to do a search I know I read it here in newbeetle.org. Hey if it saves you money I rather pay $20 bucks in heater hose/clamps than to pay $120 in original hoses.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, i did just that. Used the existing end pieces, 3/4"hose hose, a couple of hose clamps, and a elbow connector. I glued the elbow in place rather than using additional hose clamps. I will say...it does work but aestheically?!?.....ehh! I can't say i wouldnt rather have something else. I used heater hose. If you could use something more pliable, it would probably look better....BUT, for less than 10 bucks, its good for now.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
This is a problem they could use a aftermarket alternative solution; I am going to a hydraulics supply and hoes shop this week and see what they can do! I will report back and tell you what they came up with! :) living in the desert I just can't keep replacing these houses that break over and over and over and over again! I'm so sick of dealing with this issue; I want a permanent solution! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
hoses

This is a problem they could use a aftermarket alternative solution; I am going to a hydraulics supply and hoes shop this week and see what they can do! I will report back and tell you what they came up with! :) living in the desert I just can't keep replacing these houses that break over and over and over and over again! I'm so sick of dealing with this issue; I want a permanent solution! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
More permanent solution? they do make those braided steel hoses used in racing that can hold up to almost any harsh environment and temperature. A little over kill but hay it's fix your problem.. LOL :p

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
We will see; haven't made it down to the hose/hydraulics shop yet but replacing ANOTHER plastic hose, (for me in the desert) is essentially a exercise in futility... as they get brittle really quick and just break, AGAIN! :mad: ALL of the underhood plastics; are just horrible and don't last, at least, now for me! I am now fighting; with the plastic brake booster hose; thinking of making one out of metal tubing and rubber hose connection for the ends, that way it will NEVER break again! Anyone, else?

It is over $70; for this tiny hose, NUTS! Wouldn't be so bad; if i didn't know, it would just crack again, so soon! :) Every VW; I have worked on lately; has these vacuum hoses cracked; some in multiple places!

1C0612041AA

http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/prod...w-Beetle/Vacuum-pipe/5152470/1C0612041AA.html

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
brake booster

We will see; haven't made it down to the hose/hydraulics shop yet but replacing ANOTHER plastic hose, (for me in the desert) is essentially a exercise in futility... as they get brittle really quick and just break, AGAIN! :mad: ALL of the underhood plastics; are just horrible and don't last, at least, now for me! I am now fighting; with the plastic brake booster hose; thinking of making one out of metal tubing and rubber hose connection for the ends, that way it will NEVER break again! Anyone, else?

It is over $70; for this tiny hose, NUTS! Wouldn't be so bad; if i didn't know, it would just crack again, so soon! :) Every VW; I have worked on lately; has these vacuum hoses cracked; some in multiple places!

1C0612041AA

Vacuum pipe. Volkswagen (VW) New Beetle (1998 - 2005) # 1C0612041AA, 1C0-612-041, 1C0612041
Sorry I still don't have that issue but I have read a thread around here where those are not repairable and needs to be replace all together. ...bummer. try ebay for a cheaper part just as long as it's the same brand OEM.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, if I buy another one; it will just crack and break again; thus, I think I will fabricate one out of metal tubing and use rubber ends to seal it to the engine/45 degree plastic elbow @ the brake booster. I have a small tubing bender tool set; I got at the flea market, time to try it out! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts