VW Beetle Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
My bug has almost 15 years on it and the southern California heat hasn't helped the hoses too much... I nearly had a heart attack when I saw how much OEM replacement parts for something as simple as basic hoses cost.

Pretty much started using same size braided steel hoses cut to the same length to replace any old hoses that are suitable for that sort of swap. Way cheaper and makes the engine bay look a lot cooler. :cool:

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
cool

My bug has almost 15 years on it and the southern California heat hasn't helped the hoses too much... I nearly had a heart attack when I saw how much OEM replacement parts for something as simple as basic hoses cost.

Pretty much started using same size braided steel hoses cut to the same length to replace any old hoses that are suitable for that sort of swap. Way cheaper and makes the engine bay look a lot cooler. :cool:

Hoses look great, professional.

Are those the fuel line hoses you replaced with braided or EVAP system? Do you have those measurements and part numbers and company where you bought, to help some of us here replace our hoses too.

btw engine looks clean for a 15 year old car, congrats.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks, they're definitely a bad ass alternative and don't cost an arm & a leg while doing the same exact job!

So far I only have the two fuel line hoses done (the EVAP hoses I should probably do too but they weren't nowhere near as bad as the fuel line hoses) as well as the brake booster hose that is just chilling to the right in that picture. The OEM hoses and tubing that went from the brake booster to the top of the engine were so pointless and brittle at parts so I just deleted the entire thing going up to that first black plastic part that continues that system.

I got the hoses from the local Pep Boys in their "fancy aftermarket parts" section. They seem to sell a handful of basic lengths and sizes that should work with most cars. I wish I noted down the specifics but I grabbed one hose kit that was labeled fuel lines (it ended up being the perfect inner and outer diameter as well as length necessary to do the fuel lines) for $20. For the brake booster hose I got another $20 hose kit that was super similar to the fuel lines kit they sold and it worked just fine connecting the two ends together.

Considering it would have cost somewhere over $400 to get OEM replacements I think $40 to do the same thing is a massive victory.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
hoses

Thanks, they're definitely a bad ass alternative and don't cost an arm & a leg while doing the same exact job!

So far I only have the two fuel line hoses done (the EVAP hoses I should probably do too but they weren't nowhere near as bad as the fuel line hoses) as well as the brake booster hose that is just chilling to the right in that picture. The OEM hoses and tubing that went from the brake booster to the top of the engine were so pointless and brittle at parts so I just deleted the entire thing going up to that first black plastic part that continues that system.

I got the hoses from the local Pep Boys in their "fancy aftermarket parts" section. They seem to sell a handful of basic lengths and sizes that should work with most cars. I wish I noted down the specifics but I grabbed one hose kit that was labeled fuel lines (it ended up being the perfect inner and outer diameter as well as length necessary to do the fuel lines) for $20. For the brake booster hose I got another $20 hose kit that was super similar to the fuel lines kit they sold and it worked just fine connecting the two ends together.

Considering it would have cost somewhere over $400 to get OEM replacements I think $40 to do the same thing is a massive victory.
The Fuel lines. So the kit came with two braided fuel lines for under $20? man that sounds like a GREAT DEAL.
how did you do the connections? is it just hose clamps for those? or special connectors?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yep, it was technically one piece of hose for $20 but cutting it in half gave two perfect lengths of hose to do the fuel lines. The kit came with the usual hose clamps that you tighten down with a screwdriver, just gotta make sure to have a couple extra hose clamps since I had to cut the hose into two pieces. The red/blue/silver things at the ends of the hoses in the picture I posted are just there for looks as they slide over the hose clamps to hide them once you tighten them down.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Okay....ever since i replaced the SAIP, I havent heard it come on. I tested it before i installation and it worked fine. The old one "SOUNDED OFF" whenever i started from a cold start...i mean i needed to call the tower for departure clearance. Im not getting any codes and the car is running fine. Is it because i live in louisiana and its effin hot here....so, mayne it doesnt need to run just yet!?! :confused:

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
weather

Okay....ever since i replaced the SAIP, I havent heard it come on. I tested it before i installation and it worked fine. The old one "SOUNDED OFF" whenever i started from a cold start...i mean i needed to call the tower for departure clearance. Im not getting any codes and the car is running fine. Is it because i live in louisiana and its effin hot here....so, mayne it doesnt need to run just yet!?! :confused:
It's part of the emissions system and not necessarily come on when it's cold. I'm no expert on that system but I think that if there was a problem with any of the SAIP system you would have already gotten a check engine code on it. If you have a VAg-com I know you can test the sai pump individually. Enjoy the car problem free for now and if the sai problem rears it's ugly head again...shop it off. LOL

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
tanks you

Yep, it was technically one piece of hose for $20 but cutting it in half gave two perfect lengths of hose to do the fuel lines. The kit came with the usual hose clamps that you tighten down with a screwdriver, just gotta make sure to have a couple extra hose clamps since I had to cut the hose into two pieces. The red/blue/silver things at the ends of the hoses in the picture I posted are just there for looks as they slide over the hose clamps to hide them once you tighten them down.
Thank you for sharing this info with us I might do the same to mine since my fuel lines are looking rotted and old.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.