VW Beetle Forum banner

461 - 480 of 505 Posts

·
Artsy Fartsy Bohemeanne
32 Posts
I checked my 06... it has the holes in the back seat for storage of the headrests!!! AND the red light under the dash!!! AND the extendable cupholder in the back!!!YIPPY!!!:balloons: BUT not the extention on the visors...:crying: ahhh well 2 outa 3 aint bad!!!:D
Can't wait to try the squeaky seat trick. I hope it works! My 03 only came with a cassete player and most of the tapes I have were second hand so I hear every noise the car makes. That doesn't mean there's lots of things wrong...I'm just used to blaring music when I'm driving so now I notice everything.

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
482 Posts
Refresh Bump! For all the new members out there. This is a good read. You could learn some amazing things about your Beetle's super powers...
Enjoy!
Barb

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK, newbie here with a used 2010.

1) window up/down with the key inserted into the door lock - Got it! :)

2) low light red light near the cup holders? - Can't see any lights anywhere. I was thinking there may be one just underneath the radio pointing down but nothing there either. :eek:

3) press the "on" switch on the radio with NO key! Will auto shut off after 1 hr - Got it! :)

Hey! 2 outta 3 ain't bad. Thanks everyone!!

·
Super Moderator
14,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #466
OK, newbie here with a used 2010.

1) window up/down with the key inserted into the door lock - Got it! :)

2) low light red light near the cup holders? - Can't see any lights anywhere. I was thinking there may be one just underneath the radio pointing down but nothing there either. :eek:

3) press the "on" switch on the radio with NO key! Will auto shut off after 1 hr - Got it! :)

Hey! 2 outta 3 ain't bad. Thanks everyone!!
Hi there!

If it has the ambient red lighting, it comes from the underside of the rearview mirror. If you put your hand up there, when the headlight switch is on, you will see your hand turn red. The light bathes the gearshift/cup holder area. I hope you have it! It's really nice to have! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi there!

If it has the ambient red lighting, it comes from the underside of the rearview mirror. If you put your hand up there, when the headlight switch is on, you will see your hand turn red. The light bathes the gearshift/cup holder area. I hope you have it! It's really nice to have! :)
Nope, not on this car. There is a white light under the rearview mirror with a on-off switch. I was hoping there was something that illuminated the area underneath the radio. It's dark down there at night.
Anyone know of an aftermarket add-on to light up this area underneath the radio?

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
482 Posts
Mine has this light under the radio and it shines down on the accessory plug. But my car is a 2002. I don't know about the 2010 models.

·
Beware-Blonde with Beetle
677 Posts
I don't think my 2010 has the light. :(

But I did find my extra cup holder in the back AND I reset my auto tranny. I could tell an IMMEDIATE difference in how Jolene drove today! Apparently her previous owner didn't drive Jolene to her full potential! Lol!

Love this thread!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Whew. Just went through this whole thing.

I just got my 2000 5 speed beetle the other day and I've been noticing all these really cool things along the way because it didn't come with the owner's manual. The automatic locks is a great feature.

I have a question about the lights, seems to me that when you turn off the car the parking lights come on if you haven't turned off the headlights... This may be a stupid question but is there any way to make it so that if you leave the headlight switch on and turn off the car the lights will go off but the headlights will go back on when you turn the car on?

I have manual windows, so no fancy lock/window tricks for me.:(

Oh, and there's a switch for what looks like the mirrors, but it won't budge. I'm wondering if it's broken because I think it's missing the actual switch but there is a thing for the mirrors...

·
ElectricHarleyHouseOfLove
1,753 Posts

·
Kitty Kandy Hello Kitty
68 Posts
Secrets are so helpful!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone posting there secrets! I spent all day at work reading every page. I am happy to find out the new valuable info that I did not know like the seatbelt sensor. I was thinking something was wrong with the sensors because it would come on when my seat belt is buckled. This forum helped me realized that it was my purse and work bag on the passenger seat that made it go off ! DAAAAAAAH:p THANKS A LOT GUYS! Smoochessssss:eek::)

·
Registered
5 Posts
What's with the dome lamp on my 98?
1 little lamp behind the rear view mirror.
There should be more dome lamps.
Any aftermarket fixes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
inside lights

You cannot turn on the inside lights while moving, to say read something. Most cars the headlight
Switch or dimmer switch will do this. Even the Vw service guy was unaware of this.

·
Diva's Mom
43 Posts
LOVE this thread!! I've read the entire thread today to see what new tidbits I could find out about my Diva.
Heh. well, since some surprising people didn't know about this one over on facebook.. there's a way to manually open and close the sunroof in case of rain emergency, or random electrical problems.. or whatever.

sunroof control knob:
View attachment 69067

the surround plate pops right off:
View attachment 69068

use the z-shaped hex thing snapped onto the cover to crank it:
View attachment 69069
Thank you for this. I'm repainting my plastic bits and wondered what about the hex key.

I just finished reading all the secrets and can't wait to try them.

The windows one is the one I'm excited to try.

Looking at the thread for an under dash light, I feel like I missed something along the way.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-5-liter-gas/53156-under-dash-light.html

Does anyone have a few more specific details to do this?

·
Owner of Puffy
144 Posts
Before trying to start your beetle after battery disconnect.

if your battery has been dead or disconnected, before you try to start the car turn the key on but don't crank the starter, you will hear the throttle body click a few times, when it stops turn the key off.
now you can start up your beetle and it will run and the shift points will work.

Did this today with Puffy and he started right up :)

461 - 480 of 505 Posts