VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so we go and pick up Walts new turbo-s in waco, tx. i went a long to do a sound check, and it drove great. even though i used to be a vw tech for dealership, and now work at that same dealership as an advisori still couldnt see this coming.

8 hours later the shifter cable bushing breaks like mine did and he calls with the bad news. luckily for him we had a parts car to steal a bushing off of.

so i tore into the old bug, stole the shifter cable and then tore his new Turbo-S apart and did the swap.

luckily (i guess?) this happened tome and i knew how to fix it.

then, Don on the facebook forum had the same thing happen to him this afternoon.

we really need to make a replacement part for this. im sure its going to hit our Turbo-S community again.

-jd

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, its time, that someone fabricate something out of metal; to fix this problem... once and for all! :D
cant be out of metal. bushing needs to flex.

-jd

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Ghetto Modder
187 Posts
^^^ That's a solid fix but looks like it requires a lot of tools/skill that most of us probably don't have in a pinch. We found a rubber grommet at Ace Hardware that we think would have worked if we didn't have a part car to strip the grommet out of.

I'll post a pic of it when I get off this morning.

BTW, that's my new-to-me TS that decided to blow its bushing.

:cool:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THATS what happened to me twice with my old turbo-s.

not fun.

-jd

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that is correct sir, you have to buy the entire shifter cable to get that one little part.

-jd

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
JD, thanks for the confirmation; looks like, we need to fabricate a superior replacement for that terribly failure prone part! Of course; I am sure someone could make a mould and make it out of a superior material of some sort or fab a metal replacement end? There are always; superior parts to replace the stock stuff with! This makes me think of the cable repair blocks for the opposite shifter cable ends... possibilities in that solution, of some sort? Could a billet block; be a possible fab/repair angle? :confused:

02A Billet Stainless VW Shift Cable Repair Blocks - Gruven Parts

VW 02A Billet Shift Cable Repair Block (Side/Side) : USRT, Usually Sideways Rally Team

We can lick this problem with a bullet proof soultion! :cool:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
JD, does THIS look like a fix for the 02M cable bushing issues? Just ran across this; looking @ Diesel geeks videos tonite:

Diesel Geek: Cable Saver Replacement Cable End Bushing Set

Our Price: $38.00

Product Code: SHIFT-CABLEBUSHINGS

Shift cable bushings for VW and Audi.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes. thats exactly what everyone needs. thanks for finding this!!

-jd

·
Registered
19 Posts
We've started seeing more failures in cabin-side cable end bushings so my machinist and I decided to design a set of replacement cable end bushings. New VW shift cables cost over $200 each at the dealer! VW should have just made the cable bushings a separate part number that you could actually buy. Instead, they redesigned the shift cables and molded the end bushings into the shift cables so they are not replaceable, even from an aftermarket source.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
DG, so is this a new redesigned part from VW or are you referencing how the original part is? Have they revised the cables or are they still the same; failure prone design? By the way; thanks for posting the new "cable type id" video; it makes it CLEAR as a bell, as to which repair kit to purchase! :)...billy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Billy,

The cable saver bushings we sell are custom made by us and install into your original shift cables. If you were to go to the VW dealer and ask for replacement cable end bushings for your original cables the counter person would tell you they are not available separately and would then try to sell you a whole new shift cable for $200. This "updated" cable has molded cable ends that cannot accept a new bushing if it ever failed. (Only the cable end bushings ever fail.) Long story short, our bushing set solves your issue and saves you about $360 over buying new shift cables when only the end bushings disintegrate. As a bonus, I figured out how to replace the side to side cable end bushing from the top side without having to drop the exhaust! Today we shot and uploaded a new YouTube video showing how to do that procedure. It is posted to the product page. Stay tuned to that page for one more YouTube video we will shoot tomorrow where I will explain how to diagnose a failed cable end bushing. -Jim

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Jim, thanks for the detailed info and new updated videos, the video production value is MUCH improved and I am glad that you are shooting inside where the lighting is better, thus we can see what you are showing/telling us in grater clarity as well! If I could offer a suggestion as a consumer of your products and media/videos; in the future, please continue to shoot inside your offices... as the videos in your shop/shipping area are hard to "see" as the lighting is not optimal! I will look forward to your new videos; you are one of the FEW vw vendors that shoots instructional videos about the technical aspects of their products, this is SO helpful as a consumer and eliminates the need to have to contact you about what to buy or how to install, post sale.

Lastly, thanks for continuing to support the earlier Mark IV line of VWs with excellent repairs/upgrades; it seems in the VW scene, companies tend to stop developing for older platforms and concentrate on newer and currently shipping cars coming from VW! BRAVO! I know and can only imagine, the R/D process, production of these products are allot of work! Thanks so much for helping those of us with the earlier cars; to keep them on the road and fixing these "pesky" weakly engineered, failure points on our Volkswagen's! :D ...billy

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i have yet to meet this jim guy but i talk his products up at my dealership. he has made countless products to help our community. antoine said that he was a great guy and i cant wait to meet him. i stand behind all his products, even this one that i havent seen.

having to replace this bugger is not a fun task. it is not something that is easy to do unless you have experience. thank go i used to be a tech and i have 2 under my belt now.

great job Jim!!

-jd

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I inspected my cables today; looks like I have the METAL cable, so I am going to order the DG bushing kit today (you have to choose; METAL/PLASTIC cable types; the kits are different: BOTH are in stock) and I also think I am going to order another bushing, that seems to be failure prone as well....

Here is a article about it; anyone, had this one fail yet? It is the bushing; right next to shifter ball socket.

TDIClub Forums - View Single Post - GUIDE: How to make your O2J shifter feel less sloppy and other information.

First Gear Getter

Our Price: $25.00

Product Code: SHIFT-FIGG

First Gear Getter

1 - 20 of 40 Posts