NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a red '99 with 80k or so miles. The timing belt broke and the engine needs some work. It has the 8 disc changer, cream leather. The body is good although the front spoiler probably needs replacing. Ive been trying to price the value as is and Im not having any luck online. Dont really know where to look. KBB wasnt much help either. Anybody have an idea where I can look or maybe could tell me what you think its worth? All help is greatly appreciated.

John
Tucson, AZ

·
2,646 Posts
The books are high now. My gut tells me that you take the wholesale book value of the car, subtract the estimated cost of repairs and then subtract that again for the hassle factor/risk that a buyer would be taking if they took the car as is. I think you'd be ahead getting it fixed, or parting it out--as is it's just a big pretty paperweight.:(

There is a '99 GLX in NY on here for sale and he's having trouble getting $4K for it and it's in decent shape and running...knowing that I'd say you are well under 1/2 that right now.

·
Faster Than Katrina
2,005 Posts
I have to agree with Bill .... you could probably get about 1500 for some of the easier to remove and sell parts ... maybe more, I saw a Non Turbo rear hatch on ebay the other day BIN 350 plus shipment ... some people do want the turbo model to try putting on their non or formerly non turboed cars. But you may not get more than 1K selling as is since the engine is removed and apart and more than likely needs replacement or lots of parts.

·
2015 Acura TLX
5,429 Posts
If you could use the write-off, donating it to a (tax-board approved) charitable cause might be the easiest way to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the ideas...spare parts huh...not a bad idea. I dont know much about charitable donations. What does that do to my taxes?

·
2015 Acura TLX
5,429 Posts
jluca78 said:
I dont know much about charitable donations. What does that do to my taxes?
If your income places you just over the threshhold from one tax rate to the next, a donation may reduce your taxable income to a point beneath that threshhold, which may save you more monies than you would net from selling your car in whole or in parts. You really need to know where you stand in regards to your income and if a donation would be profitable to you (or would otherwise be just an exercise in giving your car away for no monetary gain)...

If your income doesn't benefit from the donation, you should choose a different disposition for your car...

Bill is spot on...

·
Faster Than Katrina
2,005 Posts
For Most .... you would probably need to get best book value from the donatee for it to affect your taxes by $1000. I wrote off over 15K in uninsured Katrina losses and it gave me about 2K more on the return.

It's a good idea and gets rid of it ... but you may be able to do better selling it to a VW or Euro parts recycling yard. But then your public school system may like it to put in shop class .... and if you have the means for the parts .... you may be able to put it in a shop class for them to put Humpty back together for you again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts