NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Goon Squad Atheist
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), missing another major vote on the Iraq war today in favor of presidential campaigning, has pulled far ahead of his 2008 rivals in at least one category: absenteeism.

McCain, who missed today's vote while campaigning in South Carolina as part of another re-launch of his White House bid, has gone two straight weeks without casting a single vote on the chamber floor. He's missed 18 straight votes.

Over the last month, the Senate has held 33 votes. McCain, the onetime front runner for the Republican nomination, has been on hand for just seven of those votes.

·
Goon Squad Atheist
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
PhoenixRising said:
What about Hillary? Obama? And the others that are in congress. I would love to know how many votes they missed. Or better yet, which of the important ones did they blow off.
Don't know.

These are all the senators who are running for president. Individual votes are harder to track. If you're REALLY interested, I'm sure you could look it up.

Clinton has missed 3 votes (2%)
Obama has missed 7 votes (4%)
Biden has missed 41 votes (27%)
Dodd has missed 26 votes (17.7%)

Brownback has missed 37 votes (25%)
McCain has missed 60 votes (40.8%)

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/110/senate/vote-missers/

PS. I LOVE how you singled out the two front-running democrats. "It's all one sided with you" isn't it, TJ?

[/snicker]

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
He's too busy staging photo ops in Downtown Bagdad and endangering the lives of our soldiers to lie about the security of the city.....which causes a terrorist strike days after he walks through a market to prove that the security he was trying to exploit isn't there...

·
33 ⅓
15,621 Posts
lojasmo said:
Don't know.

These are all the senators who are running for president. Individual votes are harder to track. If you're REALLY interested, I'm sure you could look it up.

Clinton has missed 3 votes (2%)
Obama has missed 7 votes (4%)
Biden has missed 41 votes (27%)
Dodd has missed 26 votes (17.7%)

Brownback has missed 37 votes (25%)
McCain has missed 60 votes (40.8%)

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/110/senate/vote-missers/

PS. I LOVE how you singled out the two front-running democrats. "It's all one sided with you" isn't it, TJ?

[/snicker]
I did not single them out, so much as they are the only two worth mentioning. I don't think any of the others have a snowballs chance in Miami of getting the nomination.

Of course, Gore could run, at the last minute...which would be something to see.

Glad you supplied the numbers. I am way too busy to look them up, and would not know where to off the top of my tired head.

·
Goon Squad Atheist
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PhoenixRising said:
Wow, Obama is up there. Not as high as McCain, but still.
There is a greater difference between McGoo and Obama than Obama and Clinton. I give her credit: She did a good job getting in to vote.

Of course, the quality of the votes should be considered. She voted for Kyl-Leiberman, which could be construed as approval for war against Iran (as it approves the listing of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard of Iran as a "foreign terrorist organization")

·
33 ⅓
15,621 Posts
Yeah, well, Clinton has only one more half term to her credit. And I refuse to give her credit for being the wife of the President, as if that gives her eight years of presidential experience. That would be like your wife, Antoine, designing a building based solely on her being your wife, or my wife knowing how to be a radio DJ because I was one. Sure, they can both gain insight and some preferential knowledge from being married to two outstanding men, but they are not the brilliant architect that you are, or the stupendous radio DJ I was, just because they are married to us.

Now, does Clinton have more been around the world experience then Obama? Absolutely.

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Clinton has a whole term under her belt...not a half a term. She is on her second term.

Clinton wasn't just hosting "Tea's" as a first lady, she worked on Healthcare and was instrumental in children healthcare...how many other first lady's have ever been involved besides spouting a slogan (Just Say No)? I don't give her full credit - but you and I know that she wasn't just sitting around twiddling her thumbs...she was involved in poliy.

Wiki:
As First Lady of the United States, she took a prominent position in policy matters. Her major initiative, the Clinton health care plan, failed to gain approval by the U.S. Congress in 1994, but in 1997 she helped establish the State Children's Health Insurance Program and the Adoption and Safe Families Act.
I would also think that being able to observe the workings of our government from the White House and talk one on one with one of the best Presidents we have had in our lifetime on a daily basis is also worth some experience points.

·
33 ⅓
15,621 Posts
I said that she had one half a term more. As in, she is in her second term, half way through. Which is half a term more then Obama.

Not like she has two or three or more then him terms in.

Obama: Middle of first term, give or take.
Clinton: Middle of second term, give or take.

Neither one has been there real long.

As far as that experience thing, with Bill and all, still, not the same as being president. Again, my wife knows sound, but can't run a sound board as well as I can. She has never done it; she has only heard me speak about it, seen me do it. If one is to base being in the White House as practical experience, then Chelsea has the same amount as Hilliary. Eight years.

I mean, it's just not the same. It's one of the things that drives me nuts about Pastors wives, when some churches give her the same amount of responsibility, when she never went through school for it...just because you are married to someone, does not give you the same knowledge of a job.

Again, and this is important, I think Hilliary does have more 'wordly' experience the Obama. And that is important. Which is why, if Obama gets to be president, I would love to have Hilliary as Secretary of State.

·
33 ⅓
15,621 Posts
marvins_dad said:
1.5-0.5=1
Hillary-Obama=1 Term longer...not 1/2 term.

I guess you missed my quote about the work she did do while she was First Lady...oh, yeah, that doesn't help your arguement...huh?:rolleyes:
Look, friend of mine, you may be right about the way to add up the term. I still don't think it's a lot more Senate experience.

And I don't want to argue at all. If she has some experience with doing this or that while First Lady, that is fine. But she was not President during the eight years her husband was, and I get the drift that she is implying that since she was married to a president, and all, that gives her eight years experience.

For whatever reason you have, you don't like Obama. That's fine. I don't really have a negative feeling about Hilliary, and if she gets the nomination, fine. But I have said that I think she will have a harder time against McCain because of her polarizing the public, that is all.

To me, it's more important that the Republicans, this time, don't win.

·
Banned
3,877 Posts
PhoenixRising said:
Look, friend of mine, you may be right about the way to add up the term. I still don't think it's a lot more Senate experience.

And I don't want to argue at all. If she has some experience with doing this or that while First Lady, that is fine. But she was not President during the eight years her husband was, and I get the drift that she is implying that since she was married to a president, and all, that gives her eight years experience.

For whatever reason you have, you don't like Obama. That's fine. I don't really have a negative feeling about Hilliary, and if she gets the nomination, fine. But I have said that I think she will have a harder time against McCain because of her polarizing the public, that is all.

To me, it's more important that the Republicans, this time, don't win.
I couldn't have put it better TJ I'm voting Barrack :)

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Basically my point was that Obama doesn't have the experience that Hillary has.

Case and point that in the few years he has been in office he has missed many votes, hasn't done anything with the committee he chairs and lied to his voters that he wouldn't seek office in his first term.

While Clinton has 6 years of Senate experience over him and has voted more often.

Obama is going to win the nomination - but mainly thanks to his money and the media who is definately biased in his favor.

I'll still vote for whomever the Democratic candidate is...just wish it would be for the one with more experience at this time in our country that the new guy that can talk smoother. (I do admit that Hillary's campaign hasn't helped her at all along the way)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts