NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just completing the installation of a freshly rebuilt motor.

When I first started the car it was fine but after a few minutes of warming up it started streaming out from the bell housing between the engine and trans.

Did I miss an oil line? I did not change the Turbo - could it release that much oil and everything sound OK?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Is it coming from inside or outside the bellhousing? I believe the oil supply pipe for the turbo goes from the oil filter housing over the top of the bellhousing and onto the turbo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's coming from the inside of the bell housing. Flowing out of the rear portion - towards the trans axle - like an arterial leak.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Maybe the rear main oil seal? It is hard to believe it would come through that fast though. Maybe the crankcase is overfull?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: the engine rebuilder says I waited too long to install the engine and the rear main is probably leaking. He says I should not have waited the 3-4 months as the seal dries out even though they put lube on it. He says they only have the issue on fresh rebuilds and not used motors. Sounds pretty lame to me. I'll post an update when I get the trans out...

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Update: the engine rebuilder says I waited too long to install the engine and the rear main is probably leaking. He says I should not have waited the 3-4 months as the seal dries out even though they put lube on it. He says they only have the issue on fresh rebuilds and not used motors. Sounds pretty lame to me. I'll post an update when I get the trans out...
Sounds extremely lame. It is hard to believe a seal would go bad from sitting a short amount of time. People let cars sit way longer than 4 months and don't have these problems. I would guess a poorly installed seal. Sometimes the seals have a metal band inside to put tension where it seals and it will pop off when installing them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
That is one large dose of horse poop. Seals don't dry out nowa days, hopefully that's the worst thing that's wrong with it.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Result: I took it to a transmission shop since I don't have time to pull it myself right now. It turns out the rear seal was fine. The bushing to the transmission pump had seized to the torque converter and pulled it out. Hence the fluid was actually transmission fluid and the rear main was fine...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts