NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my car has gremlins. Just replaced the timing belt and water pump this weekend and figured I’d replace the serpentine belt at the same time. The serpentine belt just broke.

I thought I had in on there correctly; anyone have a diagram of the proper belt routing?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
serpentine belt

I think my car has gremlins. Just replaced the timing belt and water pump this weekend and figured I’d replace the serpentine belt at the same time. The serpentine belt just broke.

I thought I had in on there correctly; anyone have a diagram of the proper belt routing?
Here is the picture of the belt hope it's what u are looking for. I have heard of folks me included of almost putting the serpentine pulley and the spacer in the wrong place after replacing timing belt which in turn makes the serpentine belt ride real close to the engine block to the point of almost hittng and plerhaps tearing it. good luck and welcome to newbeetl.org newbie..LOL :D fyi-Common mistake I almost made also when I did my timing belt. There is a thread around here with pictures of somebody that had this problem, do a search.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
on the top of your serpentine belt pulley, there's a little black bracket on the top. add memory serves me, that little black bracket should be on the inside of the serpentine belt pulley... I'm the way from my computer right now, and its been over a year since I did the job, so let me confirm the actual bracket location- maybe someone will chime in before then to confirm.

it might not seem like much, but that bracket postitin can actually cause the pulley wheel to eventually wear down, and cause the belt to break also.... I've experienced this myself.

hope this is a help to you.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
serpentine belt

yea that sounds about right the bracket is a spacer and go's between the pulley and the engine block which moves the pulley wheel away. Somebody posted this same problem a while back with pictures and all just can't remember.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had that hose bracket between the engine and the pulley bracket which should push the pulley bracket farther away from the timing cover i would think.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
yea that sounds about right the bracket is a spacer and go's between the pulley and the engine block which moves the pulley wheel away. Somebody posted this same problem a while back with pictures and all just can't remember.
I had that hose bracket between the engine and the pulley bracket which should push the pulley bracket farther away from the timing cover i would think.
Home on my computer now:D

Yeah, that sounds right. It's amazing how that little bracket makes such a BIG difference. Like I said in my previous post. I learned the hard way... Popped a serpentine belt AND the roller wheel got ate up a bit... the belt popped because the roller basically couldn't spin freely, causing the belt to turn on a non rolling wheel, causing it to spin itself to fatigue and breaking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't for the life of me figure out why it was fine when i took it off and i put it back on the same way and now there is no space there and it rubs on the timing cover.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I just posted a picture in the other thread about your t-belt. The hose bracket needs to be in front of the tensioner. If it is behind it, the lower bolt will pull it inward causing it to run at an angle. This would cause your problem. Also the hose angle would be a bit wonky, take a look at the pic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts