NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
'01 NB GLS 2.0 Auto Wht
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to share a fix I engineered with the serpentine belt tensioner on my 01 new beetle 2.0 gls. The black retainer plate popped off while I was in process of changing the alternator. It was a mechanical failure as the actually metal lip that held the black retainer plate on peeled away. The only thing that needed to be done was pressure held so it wouldn't come apart, I solved this by using a 5/16" bolt with lock nut and two fender washers on both ends to hold it all together. I think this is a more reliable fix than how it came from the factory. I only took pics after it was finished. Feel free to ask questions. Hope it helps.

I've also included a diagram of the serpentine belt in case anybody needs it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Very cool DIY David! Thanks for the post.

Your post is the first one I can think of that has the belt pattern diagram- thanks, I needed that:D.

BTW, you still rocking the bug. There's plenty of ATL orgers/nB owners around, that would like to hook up with you and your bug:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
How old was the tensioner?
Remember the pulley is about 4 inchs in circumference So 4 inches times 2000 rpms (about average cruising rpm's) means the pulley "travels" 666.67 feet in a minute or a mile every 7.92 minutes. So while you serpentine belt is traveling your tensioner pulley bearing must work much harder. When you lose the bearing you lose the belt and power steering and alternator. And if you are out in timbuckto you get the tensioner where? Could be a quick end to your trip.

Sorry for the long post but please every one change your tensioner when you change your belt.
Not trying to dump on you but want to remind everyone to think about the tensioner when they change the serpentine belt.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
How old was the tensioner?
Remember the pulley is about 4 inchs in circumference So 4 inches times 2000 rpms (about average cruising rpm's) means the pulley "travels" 666.67 feet in a minute or a mile every 7.92 minutes. So while you serpentine belt is traveling your tensioner pulley bearing must work much harder. When you lose the bearing you lose the belt and power steering and alternator. And if you are out in timbuckto you get the tensioner where? Could be a quick end to your trip.

Sorry for the long post but please every one change your tensioner when you change your belt.
Not trying to dump on you but want to remind everyone to think about the tensioner when they change the serpentine belt.
He speaks the truth:D

Change the tensioner while you're doing your Timing belt/water pump job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts