NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past two weeks I noticed a serpentine belt whine and clicking noise. I took the serpentine belt out. All the rollers (alternator, tensioner, power steering, roller, and AC compressor) are running freely when I roll them by hand. The tensioner pulley is two years old.

When I spin the alternator roller clockwise, it does lock. When I spin it counter clockwise, it moves freely.

Here is a video I made. You can hear the noise and see the belt jumping.

VIDEO0009 - YouTube

Any thoughts?

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
For the past two weeks I noticed a serpentine belt whine and clicking noise. I took the serpentine belt out. All the rollers (alternator, tensioner, power steering, roller, and AC compressor) are running freely when I roll them by hand. The tensioner pulley is two years old.

When I spin the alternator roller clockwise, it does lock. When I spin it counter clockwise, it moves freely.

Here is a video I made. You can hear the noise and see the belt jumping.

VIDEO0009 - YouTube

Any thoughts?

Was the tensioner replacement an OEM one?

That definitely sounds like a tensioner failure, exactly what mine sounded like before I replaced it. I would think an OEM part wouldn't fail in 2 years.. Mine lasted at least 5 before sounding like that. But it's not unheard of.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the Gates Part # 38192. I replaced the tensioner today and it still has the same problem. I'll try the idler pulley next. It may be the A/C compressor. It is 7 years old.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts