NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. I'm looking at half.com because I know I'll need a Haynes/Chilton manual for my DIY timing belt. (FYI I'm getting the metal impeller water pump from ECU tuning.. they have a complete timing belt kit!)

So... all I can find are 1998-2000... seems I recall seeing a single haynes on ebay months ago that was 1998-2002. I have a 2002 2.0, and I don't know if the older manuals will be accurate. I know the 2.0 hasn't much changed, but, is it a safe bet that in 2.5 years (i have a half year model) the engine and diagnostic/repair instructions have not changed for timing belt, checking/changing tranny fluid (manual), etc?

Also.. any suggestions on where to get a 02 Owners manual? My car lacked one when I got it. I'm slow about obtaining these things, as the forums have been a world of knowledge that have helped me.

Thank you all so much for the contributions!

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
I use a 98-99 Bentley manual for my 2000 and never noticed any difference/discrepency. However, your 2002 is no longer an AEG engine code so I don't think it will work for your car.

The Bentley is a better manual than the Chilton's.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Porkchop said:
I use a 98-99 Bentley manual for my 2000 and never noticed any difference/discrepency. However, your 2002 is no longer an AEG engine code so I don't think it will work for your car.

The Bentley is a better manual than the Chilton's.
Figures I'd have to get the $69.95 manual instead of the $15.95 manual (I was getting my hopes up).

Thanks porkchop :)

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Yea, the good ones aren't cheap.

I think there's also a manual on CD. I can't remember where I saw it though.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
73standard said:
Yea, the good ones aren't cheap.

I think there's also a manual on CD. I can't remember where I saw it though.
Yeah.. I know manual's aren't cheap. I saw the CDs but they cite Windows only, and I don't use Windows nor would I take any laptop out near my car while working on it.. greasy pages are OK... grease on my keyboard is a no no!

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
kcfoxie said:
Yeah.. I know manual's aren't cheap. I saw the CDs but they cite Windows only, and I don't use Windows nor would I take any laptop out near my car while working on it.. greasy pages are OK... grease on my keyboard is a no no!
You don't take the laptop out to the car, kc... you search for the schematics/info you need and print it out. Personally, this makes the most sense to me. a) you just print out what you need... and let's face it, most of us are never going to use 80% of the manual... so why kill all the trees necessary to print it for the average Joe, and b) if you happen to get ample amounts of grease or paint or some other substance on your print outs to the point where important bits are unreadable, you can always print out another (again, just the one page)... if you happen to spill same on your printed manual, you're pretty much out of luck... you'd have to buy a whole new manual.

I do see your point about Windows, though. I believe I heard Bentley was porting a version of the reader to other platforms, but I don't know the status of that project. It was a while ago that I heard it.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once again you prove to me some good points, Stenolia :)

I have a feeling the program is nothing more than PDFs or HTML pages and it installs some stupid browser that uses either the IE engine or the Adobe PDF Plugin to make it work... and would probably function.. but I don't want to spend the $ on something that may or may not work. However, the CDs are considerably cheaper on ebay (but their authenticity is unknown). I'll see what I can do and report back on what I find.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
kcfoxie said:
I have a feeling the program is nothing more than PDFs or HTML pages and it installs some stupid browser that uses either the IE engine or the Adobe PDF Plugin to make it work.
No... actually... it's a little more involved than that. It's a piece of software called "eBahn". The format behind the scenes may, indeed, by HTML... but these aren't just some poorly assembled webpages that they threw on a CD. It's all very nicely integrated, and up to the quality of the paper manuals themselves. And with the 3.0 version, it's search interface has apparently been greatly enhanced.... which was the chief complaint about previous versions, I hear.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/ebahn/v3/index.htm

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow. I am impressed to see the quality put into it (SO MANY college text book makers are SLACKERS in this area). Eh.. virtual pc... hm, I have been trying to justify the purchase of a Liberatto (Toshiba mini notebook, old pentium 1 unit) for a VAG-COM .....

·
Registered
67 Posts
does any oyou have a scanned version of the manual that comes with de car? I have a second hand & it does not have de manual.Can somebody help me?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,137 Posts
Do you mean the owners manual? Or do you want a service manual for repairs?

·
TOD Maiden Voyager
1,582 Posts
does any oyou have a scanned version of the manual that comes with de car? I have a second hand & it does not have de manual.Can somebody help me?
For starters -- what year is your New Beetle?

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
Ive used my haynes for a few years now in suppliment of the org and have done just fine :)

Although I did get a handmedown e-copy of a 2.0 jetta bentley manual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My sister just bought a 1998 NB 2.0L but it didn't come with an owner's manual. Any way of getting a pdf version for free??

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
My sister just bought a 1998 NB 2.0L but it didn't come with an owner's manual. Any way of getting a pdf version for free??
unfortunately they are kind of car specific, however most stuff in the regular manual can be found in the Haynes manual. The more in depth stuff may require a Bentley.

The only other thing would be to order one from VW say if your radio lost power and required a code which is only found in your manual.

·
Arizona's "1TOPBUG"
158 Posts
I have been looking for the Bentley Service manual for my 99 2.0, any idea where I may be able to get one for a decent price?

·
1,255 Posts
The best price I've seen is on Amazon. I just purchased one for $67 shipped.

I am not sure which is best the printed or CD. The printed is better to research an issue. The CD does have more info, vin decoder, tech tips and bulletins, and is updated, etc. Neither have in-depth explanations of the car. They assume that you are a VW mechanic and know all the tricks already. I would like to see a real schematic or electrical diagram (similar to the Haynes) rather than small sections that are hard to piece together and follow for good troubleshooting

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bentley Manual For Sale

ISBN 0-8376-0376-5

1998-2002 New Beetle [1.8T, 1.9L TDI, 2.0L]

book is 4.5 lbf -> $4.05 Priority Mail/$3.51 media mail

It is not new, but looks it. Never used.

$49.00 + Shipping @ cost.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,137 Posts
That belongs in the classifieds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts