NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I"m getting ready to install a couple of iPod adpaters in two beetles with OEM radios. I've used the "file folder hooks" to remove a radio previously, but figured I'd spring for the right tools this time.

I've noticed there are two different shapes to the ends: one that looks diagonal, and the other that has squared - notched ends.

Can anyone comment on how well either shape works to remove an OEM radio?

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
They're the first set. Not the square ones. And the 2 Bug radio's i've removed, i ended up ripping the god dam things out with a screwdriver :lol:

Guessing you brought the iPod cable for the AUX input :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the PIE iPod adapter for aux input. I'm hoping that I can disconnect the CD Changer (actually, the Phatnoise) in the back and plug in the PIE adapter - and save my self from messing with the dash on the one beetle.
The other one doesn't have a changer, so I know we'll have to pull it from the dash to connect.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The adapter only uses a part of the plug on the HU. I think your going to find the wiring in the trunk totally different.

M.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the P.I.E. VW/PC-POD2
Someone somewhere (love the internet) said they had connected theirs in the back and unconnected the CD changer. If I can do that install, I will. If not, I"ll pull the head unit.

Sheryl

·
Boogety Boogety
413 Posts
Replacement metal blades for hand-held jigsaws work if you don't have the actual "keys." They even have the right angle on the tip: Make sure the long point side goes in closest to the center of the radio. In a pinch... They work perfectly! :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The PIE unit works great! I had previously removed my CD changer in the back. This unit comes with the exact adapter cable to plug it where the CD changer harness is (in the back). No dash surgery at all.
It took all of 10 minutes to remove the Phatnoise and connect the PIE.

Anyone need a 20 gb Phatnoise unit?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts