NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember me. It's been awhile :). I started posting back when I bought my first car, a 2002 Beetle GLS. Her name was Blue after my favourite (and local) football team, Winnipeg Blue Bombers. I've been inactive for awhile since I went back to school. Working full time and going to school full time as well as many other commitments has kept me pretty busy!

On December 28, 2012, Blue went to the big junkyard in the sky. I was out doing some shopping, running around, doing errands. All of a sudden there was this big BANG out of nowhere and my air bags went off. But there was nothing in front of me! For a second I almost though I had either hit a pedestrian somehow (which scared the bejebies out of me) or the airbags just spontaneously exploded.

It took me a minute or so to realise I had T-boned a white Dodge Journey and made it do a 180 and come to a stop at the corner as if it was trying to cross the road/turn.

I didn't have a stop sign at the intersection I was at and the other driver did. I was looking to my right as I thought the parking lot entrance to my next stop may have been coming up shortly and I didn't want to miss it. The car I hit, according to the witnesses, did not stop at his stop sign at all. He came from the left and since I was looking to the right I didn't see him. The insurance company determined he was 100% at fault, which is good. I get to keep my safe driver status and I didn't have to pay a deductible or anything.

There's good news, bad news and good news to my story.

First good news, as I mentioned in my thread title, Blue kept me safe. I was going about 40-50km/h (25-30mph)and didn't hit the brakes at all when I hit the other car, since I didn't see him. My ONLY injury is a fractured arm. You would think that a crash like that I'd be hurt worse. Blue definitely did her job well. No aches, no pains, no injuries from the air bags or anything. Just the arm. There's about a 20% chance I'll need surgery, as there's a small chip out of the end of my bone, but the doctor is 80% sure it won't be a problem. I'll know on February 19 when the cast comes off and I have x-rays again. If I need surgery, it will just be minor under local anesthetic with a small incision and they'll just suck out the chip with a little vacuum.

Now for the bad news. My beloved Blue was written off. Both her airbags deployed and she sustained significant front end damage. My poor girl was leaking fluids all over the road. WARNING: DO NOT LOOK AT THE PHOTOS BELOW IF IT HURTS YOU TO SEE A DAMAGED BUG!!!

And to end on a high note. I am still a Beetle owner! On January 14, 2013 I became the proud owner of a 2012 Turbo Beetle! He's candy white, and fully loaded. He came to me slightly used, he had 2200 km on him (1360 miles). He was apparently used by a VW exec just to test out for a bit, then came to me. But I paid a lot less for him than I would have if he were brand spanking new.

I'll probably be back now, at least for a bit while I figure out all the tricks to my new car. A big "Hello again!" to all those who remember me (and I'm sorry for dissapearing). And nice to 'meet' all of you who who are new. I'll be posting photos of my new bug soon. It's been too cold to take photos!!!
 

Attachments

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
Poor car. Blue gave her life for you. Hope all is well with your arm. That is great news with your 2012! May Blue rest in piece! :)
 

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
Joined
·
482 Posts
So sad to see your poor little car all smashed up. :( But she did her job in keeping you safe. There is a special section of the graveyard in heaven for little cars that save their owners I'm sure.
Congrats on the new car, can't wait to see pictures.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,783 Posts
Blue kept you safe. :heart:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,742 Posts
Poor Blue :(

I'm so sorry you lost her. Great to hear you were able to get a B12. Glad Blue was able to keep you safe. Can't wait to see pics of your new baby.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,742 Posts
You know, outside of the airbags sticking out all over the place, Blue's interior looks to be in awesome shape all the way down to the door panels. If she still has her flower vase you should so grab that as a remembrance of her and somehow place it in your new beetle. I've seen people make holders for the newer beetles that attach to the air vent beside the steering wheel. That way you will always have a piece of your little lifesaver Blue with you :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know, outside of the airbags sticking out all over the place, Blue's interior looks to be in awesome shape all the way down to the door panels. If she still has her flower vase you should so grab that as a remembrance of her and somehow place it in your new beetle. I've seen people make holders for the newer beetles that attach to the air vent beside the steering wheel. That way you will always have a piece of your little lifesaver Blue with you :)
Blue was in great shape, which is why I was able to get so much back for her! When I bought her I only paid $8,000 for her, and the insurance company gave me $6,700 for her. Not bad for owning her for almost 4 years! (it would have been 4 years in May).

I don't actually know what happened to her vase though. My dad went originally to clean out my car, since it was hard for me to do as one of my summer tires was in the trunk and I would have had a hard time getting it out on my own with a broken arm and they told me only one person at a time could go in and get stuff out. I ended up going a few days later to take photos and could't find it.

There's actually a few things I was sure were in my car that weren't there, like a pair of shoes, and I was pretty sure I had like $5 or so stashed under one of those little gum cups that I kept in my cup holder. I heard though that a lot of people go through the insurance compound and will take stuff out of cars.

I was able to get the dice and license plate holder as well as my Winnipeg Blue Bomber special edition plates off of her to put on my new car, so there's memories of Blue still there....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,742 Posts
Funny how people feel they can just help themselves to whatever. Just because it's wrecked doesn't mean it's open season to whoever wants it. Guess they figure nobody's coming back for stuff?

Glad to hear you have a little bit of Blue with you after all. Keep healing and hope all goes well if they have to suck out that chip. It's a simple enough procedure, very little to chance. ((((((CYBER HUGS))))))
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Funny how people feel they can just help themselves to whatever. Just because it's wrecked doesn't mean it's open season to whoever wants it. Guess they figure nobody's coming back for stuff?

Glad to hear you have a little bit of Blue with you after all. Keep healing and hope all goes well if they have to suck out that chip. It's a simple enough procedure, very little to chance. ((((((CYBER HUGS))))))
I had a ton of stuff in my car that I wanted! I was heading to one more stop before heading home after doing some shopping with the gift cards I got for Christmas. There was $100 worth of stuff from sephora in the trunk! And I'm bad for keeping shoes in my car. There's always a pair of flats in the back, just in case I forget to take my heels off after work or whatever (I can't drive in heels) and there were multiple other pairs of shoes. Oddly enough, only on pair went missing, a pair of rockport heels my fiance convinced me to buy because they woukd be more comfortable than my other heels. (He was wrong, first pair of shoes I bought in a loooong time that gave me blisters, so I'm not too upset that they're gone. Well I am, they were expensive, but whatever).

My dad was able to grab Blue's manual, so I still have that to remember her by!

Oh and I know I'v promised photos of my new car, but we've been in a deep freeze since I picked him up. It's been hovering near -40 with the windchill. It warmed up slightly today, it only feels like -10F! He needs a bath though before I can take photos, he's a teeny bit dirty....
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,783 Posts
We don't care about dirty. I'll bet most of our NBs are winter dirty! :wink2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
I feel sorry for your beetle. I too ran into the similar incident today, but not as severe as yours. A woman was stupid enough to run a stop sign at Costco parking lot doing 20mph and my baby got hit on the passender side. The door got stripped a little and can't be opened now. I could hear wind blowing through that door while driving home. I am just so pissed at those inconsiderate drivers out there :mad:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,454 Posts
I feel sorry for your beetle. I too ran into the similar incident today, but not as severe as yours. A woman was stupid enough to run a stop sign at Costco parking lot doing 20mph and my baby got hit on the passender side. The door got stripped a little and can't be opened now. I could hear wind blowing through that door while driving home. I am just so pissed at those inconsiderate drivers out there :mad:
So sorry to read this and feel for you.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top