NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post.. did quite a bit of searching first.

Daughter has a 2005 Beetle Conv. 2.0 6spd auto.. First VW I've ever owned or worked on.. Shifted fine when cold, did all kinds of crazy stuff once warmed up.. banging into gear, downshifting hard, etc.. Took it to a tranny shop that I use quite a bit.. he was pretty confident he could fix the valve body.. The fix didn't end up working, so he replaced the valve body.

Since I've gotten it back, it shifts 100% better with one exception.. gone are the downshift problems and most of the other issues.. but it continues to have a slight hiccup or hesitate from 1st to 2nd.. after 2nd, it shifts like a dream..

Also it's worse when you are slowing down and then accelerating quickly (like turning a corner).. slow down almost to a stop and then get on the gas and it "bangs" into gear.. again, smooths out after that.. I'm assuming this is the "bubble" from 1st to 2nd, it's just a lot more like a bang when you get into the gas quickly after a slow down..

After searching all over, it looks like you can manually adjust the solenoid with an allen wrench?? But that's the only info I found... Before I call the shop and explain what it's doing, is there any clearer explanation on what manually adjusting the solenoid is?? I'm a car guy.. been in the salvage yard business my entire life.. worked on a ton a cars.. but I'm a VW virgin..

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
First, I would scan the car with a VW compatible scanner; on the low end, the Vgate VS450 is $50 from amazon.com or go with the factory level VCDS from Ross Tech. Any trouble codes; could give you an idea, as to what is malfunctioning, aside from the part(s) you replaced. Have you identified; the transmission you have and the trans code? There are in depth manuals; that are available from transmission rebuilder companies; that sell the kits for fixing these transmissions.

Here is a free online manual for a 2006 NBC; I don't know, if it has the same transmission as your but there is quite a bit of good information there:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle Convertible L5-2.5L (BPS) (2006) > Transmission and Drivetrain > Actuators and Solenoids - Transmission and Drivetrain > Actuators and Solenoids - A/T > Pressure Regulating Solenoid, A/T > Component Informatio

I would assume; you have the 09G, Ross Tech does show a "kick down" adjustment with VCDS; which is interesting, I wonder with a new valve body... if this is a procedure that needs to be run?

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/6-Speed_Automatic_Transmission_(09G)

Good factory training manual on the 09G:

http://vw.nate-online.com/techdocs/DSG.pdf

parts and manuals:

VW 09M, 09G, Aisin TF60SN Transmission Parts Volkswagon / Audi

more info:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=vw 09g trasmission

The factory Bentley or erWin online manuals; would probably give you more in depth info about any programming or adjustments, that may need to be done, with a new valve body install...

http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/transmission-talk/116633d1385911543-rebuilt-valve-body-replacement-my-experience-6-speed-automatic-gearbox-09g.pdf

You might contact this memeber and see what they have to say; read about their experience, he references the adjustment you are talking about: http://newbeetle.org/forums/transmission-talk/71769-rebuilt-valve-body-replacement-my-experience.html

Get the car scanned; post up those codes, there might be some good insight with those codes... as to what is going on! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all the material.. looks like I have some homework to do..

Just getting into it.. but it looks like maybe a kick-down adjustment may be needed or a Throttle Body Alignment...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for all the material.. looks like I have some homework to do..

Just getting into it.. but it looks like maybe a kick-down adjustment may be needed or a Throttle Body Alignment...
I have put a little over 3 thousand miles on my 2005 Convertible since the valve body replacement. It still hesitates from 1st to 2nd and slightly from 2nd to 3rd.

Pacific Coast Transmission, who rebuilt it, says"there are allen wrench adjustments for the solenoids and to bring it by", but I am 300 miles away.
"But other wise it won't hurt anything."
Mine does bang occasionally too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got several problem with my 09g. I got trouble codes p0721 output shaft speed sensor.p0731 gear one incorrect ratio DTC's 17105, 17114, and 00453 can someone help me I plan on doing the valve body rebuild and installing the trans go shift kit to correct solenoid issues. And I plan to replace both input and output shaft sensors. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
13,417 Posts

17105 - Transmission Output Speed Sensor (G195)

00453 - Function Limitation due to Over-Temperature

The above problems, are best diagnosed; using a factory level VW scan tool, like VCDS by Ross Tech. You can view live data and confirm, what is working and what isn't. Here is a video, showing the use of VCDS and using it, to view live data from the transmission:

Keep in mind, that trouble codes; build up over time and need to be cleared, to remove them, then scanning again to see if they come back or view live data, to see what is going on. We have tons of threads, where people have done the needed repairs and have had some success, while others needed to dig deeper, disassemble the whole transmission, inspect parts for damage, essentially a rebuild at that point.

The most common issues with the 09G are: broken/damage gear selector assembly, wiring harness damage, causing connectivity issues to sensors, valve body, solenoids etc; then, bad/sticking solenoids, bad connectors to the solenoids, bad sensors and worst case scenarios, internal parts damage, that requires trans pull, inspection, repair/replacement of parts, reassembly, rebuild of the trans and typically, a rebuilt/reworked valve body as well. NOTE: it is not uncommon; it have multiple problems at once and so, it can take a number of diagnosis tries, parts repairs, replacements and rebuilding of parts, like the valve body, internals, etc.

Like anything, you need VCDS; to correctly diagnose problems and view live data,

I recently, worked on 2005 new beetle convertible with the 09G; in that case, the shifter assembly was bad, replacement helped it shift better but the valve body, was still worn, sticking solenoids, causing a hard shift issue.

Start with correct diagnosis; then, make decisions, based upon the results of the testing with VCDS.

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Lately, we have heard good reviews; about this valve body rebuilder and you might contact them, for a rebuild valve body solution, see what they charge for one. This would help, you see; what costs are involved and start seeing, what the vb swap costs are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have recently purchased a trans go shift kit for my 05 beetle. And also new input and output shaft speed sensors. As I am pressed for time and need the car im going to attempt the repairs myself. I am a former chrysler tech. So I'm pretty confident in my ability to address the issues. Parts are on the way. I will definitely share my experience. Thanks for the help. Any suggestions are definitely appreciated.

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
We have had mixed feedback; on people doing their own valve body rebuilds, you might check out a trans tech on youtube named hiram, for rebuild, testing walk through:

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Having a factory level scan tool; that can view live data, check for trouble codes, reset kick down settings, etc, really would help you diagnose the problems. VCDS by Ross Tech or equivalent; would be capable of dong this:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts