NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much, typically, do you run it up in any one gear before shifting? I usually shift at about 3500 RPM. Anyone think I might be wasting gas by shifting at that point, or should I be shifting at a higher or lower point. Seems like I have to shift at 3500-4000 to get the performance I want outta the 2.0. It sure does run up the rpms quickly, and smoothly...;)

·
Heinz
68 Posts
Beetlebomb said:
How much, typically, do you run it up in any one gear before shifting? I usually shift at about 3500 RPM. Anyone think I might be wasting gas by shifting at that point, or should I be shifting at a higher or lower point. Seems like I have to shift at 3500-4000 to get the performance I want outta the 2.0. It sure does run up the rpms quickly, and smoothly...;)
Well I have an auto, so no help to you. But just figure it out yourself. Top off the tank. Then do your driving and after at least 100 miles fill the car back up. Calculate your mpg.

Try this with higher and lower shift points and you will soon
know what your answer is.

Allen
& yodabug

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
If you look in your owner's manual, it tells you the shift point for best mileage. Obviously, it will be different for best performance :)

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Beetlebomb said:
Normally I'll let it run up to 3,000-3,500 range. It seems to be a good rpm range.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
When I bought my BMW 325e it said in the hand book to accelerate as quickly as possible to 2000rpm then shift up.

An engine burns fuel most efficently when the throttle is either wide open or fully closed. So for greatest effieciency...follow BMW's advice.

Now, that car only had a 4500rpm redline and 2000rpm is where the meat of the powerband started so I would adjust that to about 2800rpm for our VWs that way the RPMs will drop back down to 2000rpm or so in the next gear and the car will not fall out of the torque band.

This is called short shifting and is very effective at raising your feul milage numbers.

Driving like that but shifting a tiny bit higher in my 1.8T nets me about 26mpg in the city which is nothing to sneeze at and in fact is pretty damn good.

The funny thing is that when I drove my old 325e the way BMW recomended I would average 32mpg around town and that thing had a 6 cylinder but then again the 325e was set up for high fuel milage where as our cars are set up for best acceleration with much shorter gearing and higher redlines.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
I shift as close to 3000 rpm as I can and it seems to do well there. It annoys me to drive on the highway because it revs so high at highway speeds...feels like it needs a 6th gear almost...but it also performs well at higher rpms in 5th gear so I can't complain.

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya know it really does rev higher than most other cars with it's engine displacement at highways speeds, but I don't really find it too noisy or annoying. I had mine briefly up to 80 on the freeway the other day and it was revin' right around 4K, but even at that speed I didn't find the noise or "engine buzz" overly objectionable. You're right, the upside of the high highway revs is it's performance in the upper gears. I think it's final drive axle ratio is like 4.24 or thereabouts, so it's geared pretty low and that's why it's got some "grunt" in each gear and doesn't get quite the gas mileage that other cars with 2.0 liter engines do. Personally, I like it the way it is: is rather zippy and still gets decent mileage.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
I definately agree...its not too noisy or anything at highway speeds but i know the feel of my car when it wants to shift and once I hit 60, its more of just an anal retentive thing than an actual annoyance. My car seems to get its best mileage at 72ish mph...right about where its exactly 3500 rpm. anything over that and my gas mileage definately decreases

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Smileybug said:
I definately agree...its not too noisy or anything at highway speeds but i know the feel of my car when it wants to shift and once I hit 60, its more of just an anal retentive thing than an actual annoyance. My car seems to get its best mileage at 72ish mph...right about where its exactly 3500 rpm. anything over that and my gas mileage definately decreases
Really? You get your best mileage at about 72 mph? I find that quite surprising as I thought it would be at around 55-60.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
I thought so too...I drive to Raleigh a lot, as my boyfriend goes to school there and its a 2 hour highway drive. I can get there on about 3 gallons of gas if I go 70 the whole way. I tried going less and it takes a whole quarter tank to get there. Went more than 70 and it kills the gas mileage. Unfortunately I don't have cruise control so its hard to keep it at a steady speed but when I drove home over winter break, I got nearly 40 mpg and was at 70 the entire time, or as close as i could be, and thats the best mileage I've ever gotten.

·
beep beep!
106 Posts
Beetlebomb said:
I had mine briefly up to 80 on the freeway the other day and it was revin' right around 4K, but even at that speed I didn't find the noise or "engine buzz" overly objectionable.
I do 80 every morning on my way to work
Maybe it's a California thing, but that's not even bad... people still fly by me LOL!

I shift around 3300-3500 rpm. I've heard that VWs like to be revved higher than most other cars... not sure how much truth is behind that statement though.

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
they seem to like to Rev!

[/QUOTE]I shift around 3300-3500 rpm. I've heard that VWs like to be revved higher than most other cars... not sure how much truth is behind that statement though.[/QUOTE]
that's right where I shift, too. I think there's a lot of truth in that statement. I know that it was true for the old, air-cooled Beetles. Regardless, they sure rev willingly, don't they!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts