VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 beetle. I am in need of a part that lives at the base of the shifter under the cover that has the indicators for park / reverse/ neutral/ drive. It looks like a black belt. It is smooth on one side and has ridges on the other. It covers the opening where the shifter goes into the car. I have watched videos on how to change it BUT I can’t figure out what it is called!! Any ideas??

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
VW still makes and sells the shifter assembly; if the electrical aspect is damaged, it can affect the shifting and the tcu, it may get confused, as to what position its in. The” prnds” display in the speedo maybe lit up and trouble codes thrown.

If the electrical parts are ok; you might see, if they sell just the slider portion, aftermarket online, I believe vw may sell, it separately.

Looks like URO and others; sell the failure prone slider, by itself?

Gear Shift Knob Console Automatic Transmission Shift Slider Bar 1J0713277 for VW Bora Golf MK4 Beetle Skoda Fabia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
More info and discussion about the assembly, common problems, replacement, etc:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More info and discussion about the assembly, common problems, replacement, etc:

I have watched MANY YouTube videos on how to replace it. It’s is pretty easy to remove if you have the tools. Google 2008 VW triptronic Magnetic shift cover replacement.
As for my ‘07 they are saying I need to buy the whole assembly. The circuit board seems fine. Lights up. Car shifts and moves. My question is would another year’s part for my car for this? Can I drive it with out it? (ONLY until I am able to get one) thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
If the car is functional; as it is, i would think you would be ok, until you replace the part?

If you are wondering about different years, shifter assemblies and parts compatibility ; you could search the vw parts site snd see if the different years, come up as the same part #?

www.parts.vw.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts