NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh the agony… I was traveling on 65N today and when I shifted from third to fourth I got nothing, as in nothin’ from nothin’ is nothin’. I coasted to a stop and tried to put the trans in neutral but the shifter was just limp, no feel of sliding into position at all, and when I let the clutch out it lurched forward and died. After a little wrestling I managed to get it into neutral and played with the gears for a little. It seems I can only get it into 1st, 2nd and 3rd. It just so happens it has been raining all afternoon and by the time the tow truck got us home it was dark.

Dammit man.

So – first thing tomorrow morning I’m going to try and determine the problem. Can anyone give me any insight on this – maybe someone who has had the same problem? I’m assuming if it were a cable or rod that works within the shifter linkage / mechanism, that it wouldn’t go into any gear, and it drives fine in the first three gears (when you can make it go into gear, that is) so I’m uncertain of what it might be right now. I am hoping it is a cheap fix, or at least something I can fix myself.

Thanks,
Chef

·
Ham-Handed Plier Mechanic
8 Posts
shifter linkage problems

Yo, Chef....
I was intending to drive away from the curb once at the airport departure gate and all I had was 3rd and 4th. Sounds like your ailment could be a similar glitch: There's a little nylon or tupperware bellcrank behind your engine ( accessible from the top) that determines which gear you select with your gearshift. As I recall, it seems I had to pull an airbox or something to see it, but it's no big deal-Googled an outfit called Allparts and had the part in hand the next day for around $40. Couple of little clips to fit it up to the linkage and a hex nut to secure it is about all it takes. As it seemed kind of insubstantial, I was going to have one made out of aluminum, but a motothead friend dissueded me, saying the fragility of this bellcrank acted as a safety to keep the linkage from engaging two gears at once. Whatever. the whole replacement takes about 45 minutes-no sweat.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts