VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound a little weird, or maybe not......

It seems that lately, when I shift gears, the engine doesn't idle down as quickly as it use to. Almost seems like it actually revs up??? Am I just being too picky?

What rpm's should I be at when I shift? I've had this car for about 4 years now and I believe it use to idle down some when I would push in the clutch when I am getting ready to shift. I am at 2800 to 3000 rpms when I shift from 1st to 2nd. Is that to high? Should I be shifting sooner? She runs down the road like a dream. Check engine light is on, ( cat issue ). Thanks in advance for any feed back..:)

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Have you looked at the throttle body? I wonder if it needs a clean and a throttle body alignment? Any other issues; how does the car run, otherwise? How many miles on the car and when, was the last time it was tuned up? :confused: Have you scanned the car; for trouble codes?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. So glad you are being helpful. I guess no one has any advice.

Anyway,

94000 miles and there is a code P0240, which it has had for months. It seems to run fine, scoots on down the road pretty good for a 2.0.

I took it up to the garage that has done some work on it for me before, shocks and a few other small things. The mechanic drove it a bit and he said it seems fine to him. He suggested to try running some Lucas gas treatment thru it to see if it helps.

When I am ready to shift, the rpms go up about 2 to 3 rpms. I never paid a lot of attention to it before, I just know that the engine sound is different. Sounds like it is racing a little higher than what it use to when I put the clutch in.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
P0420 Error Code: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

Hmm, that's odd about the rpm going up, after letting off the gas?

I wonder if the catalyst is clogged or damaged.

Probably, would be a good idea; to pick up a ELM327 obd II wireless adapter and get a app; total about $20-$30, which would give you a live data capable scan tool solution. You can get the ELM 327 adapter off of amazon; wifi for apple/ios and bluetooth for Android, this will work on a smartphone or tablet. After that; you can start looking at the fuel trims and see if everything, is working as it should.

Fuel Trim Info - Ross-Tech Wiki

1 - 4 of 4 Posts