VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Whatza Turbo
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife’s 06 Beetle has developed a shimmy when you accelerate from a stop to whatever speed you chose to cruz at. The intensity of the shimmy decreases when you let off the accelerator, but it gets pretty radical if you step on it.
I plan to get under it to look around to see if it may be a CVjoint or was wondering if it could be a transmission, or motor mount type of issue. I have new tires on it and the steering seems to be tight with little sloppiness in the linkage.
I bought my wife this car in 2011 with 115000 miles on it. It’s at 145000 now.
Has anyone has experienced this in their ownership? New to the forum, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
The areas to check would be
1. Motor mounts especially the "dogbone" mount Lower rear of engine to firewall.
2. cv axles ( Do you know if the are original? The type of joint used by vw can develop a wear pattern between the balls and the race inside them and that cause a vibration under load.
3. Next time it begins to vibrate remove you foot from the gas and shift to neutral. If the vibration stays it is not your transmission.
4. lastly wheels and tires. Has the vibration started since the tires were changed or before?

·
Whatza Turbo
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VDubYah
Thank you for the reply. I got it up on jacks today and checked the CV"s first. Driver side has a lot of play in it when I compare it to the passenger side (which changed when I bought the car from the VWb Dealer). When I say a lot more play I mean rotating the tire there may only be an 1/8th to 1/4of an inch free roll back or forth before you feel the joint shaft turn the newer CV on the passenger side.
The driver’s side has much more, maybe 5/8's to an 1 inch. It has a lot of free roll before it will turn the shaft. This is what I am basing my determination that it is bad on.
Would this be the proper way to diagnose a worn CV joint?
The motor mounts seem to be ok, but I am not sure what to look for to determine if it’s bad.
What would a bad mount look like?

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and thanks for posting a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts