NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Daughter has relocated to Clarksville, TN to continue her education at Austin Peay Univ. Need recommendations for a local indy shop for repairs. Anyone near there? Any help appreciated.

Long story: Her '05 NB 1.8t convertible threw some codes a couple of months ago that indicated she had several misfires on #4 cylinder. Had her take it to the dealer as did not know of any reputable/affordable indy shops in the area. The dealer informed me that her valve cover gasket was leaking and oil was blowing up onto the cover and pooling in the plug wells. Long story short, they replaced the rubber seal/gasket, replaced all 4 plugs, and cleaned the oil off everything. All of this was covered under her extended warranty except the dealer charged over $30/hr. more than the average local rate and severely overcharged for the parts!:mad: After the repair, of which the warranty company paid almost $500, I ended up shelling out another $240 out of my pocket to cover the dealer repair invoice.:mad::mad:

Soooo, I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend a good shop for her to take her car in for diagnostics and repair (oh yea, the codes are back!). She is now getting intermittent misfire codes on #s 1,2, and 4, as well as a couple more I can't think of offhand. Local to Clarksville is most desirable, she is in school full-time and works full time also. Travel to Nashville area is somewhat problematic due to time constraints and commitments.

TIA, --rick

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hi everyone,
Daughter has relocated to Clarksville, TN to continue her education at Austin Peay Univ. Need recommendations for a local indy shop for repairs. Anyone near there? Any help appreciated.

Long story: Her '05 NB 1.8t convertible threw some codes a couple of months ago that indicated she had several misfires on #4 cylinder. Had her take it to the dealer as did not know of any reputable/affordable indy shops in the area. The dealer informed me that her valve cover gasket was leaking and oil was blowing up onto the cover and pooling in the plug wells. Long story short, they replaced the rubber seal/gasket, replaced all 4 plugs, and cleaned the oil off everything. All of this was covered under her extended warranty except the dealer charged over $30/hr. more than the average local rate and severely overcharged for the parts!:mad: After the repair, of which the warranty company paid almost $500, I ended up shelling out another $240 out of my pocket to cover the dealer repair invoice.:mad::mad:

Soooo, I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend a good shop for her to take her car in for diagnostics and repair (oh yea, the codes are back!). She is now getting intermittent misfire codes on #s 1,2, and 4, as well as a couple more I can't think of offhand. Local to Clarksville is most desirable, she is in school full-time and works full time also. Travel to Nashville area is somewhat problematic due to time constraints and commitments.

TIA, --rick
WOAH, they charged you a total of $740 dollars for a valve cover gasket and a set of plugs? :eek: The Valve cover gasket is about $23 bucks and any competent mechanic could install it in about 45 minutes. Changing plugs would be easy since you already are in there and have to take the old ones out anyways. Okay, if they are totally stupid and slow it would take them 1 1/2 hours MAX. (That's how long it took me when I did mine and if I can do it in that time frame they should have been easy been able to beat my time). Stock NGK plugs are about 10-15 bucks at the dealer. So total parts should have been about 4x15 = 60.00 for the plugs and 23.00 for the gasket. $740-83= $657.00 in Labor cost. Now that is a major RIP OFF!!! Even if they charged 2 hours labor or around $200 dollars plus maybe a $150 for their Marked up Overpriced Parts the Max Total should have been no more than $350 even for a Dealer. Even thou you didn't have to pay the full $740 someone had to pay it. This is just rediculous.
I wonder if they properly gapped the spark plugs? Did they check the coil packs at all? Perhaps in their hurry to do a good job they broke a couple of connectors or didn't hook up a vacuum line properly? I would definitely complain to these Criminals.

Hope she can find a shop near where she is that won't take advantage of her.

Here is another site you may want to check and search:

http://www.vcarshops.com/search/results

·
Registered
762 Posts
Now that is a major RIP OFF!!!
I suspect there is a lot more going on with the story than what we are seeing here. I've seen a few post from customers who came to the dealer I use to work at that would make a statement like this... turn signal bulb replaced, paid $1000... forgets to mention repairs from broken timing belt and other items.

I've noticed that these things tend to be 50% on purpose, and 50% the OP just didn't think some details were important.

A copy of the invoice posted up online would be nice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer contact today, repairs still under warranty

Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions.

D2Beetle, if I can put your offer on hold for a bit I would appreciate it.

I finally got a return call from the dealer and they have indicated they are willing to take another look at the problem since it is still throwing codes. Still under their warranty period for the initial repairs. Will have to see what they have to say after she drops it off on her next day off. Had a good argument with the female service manager on the phone as to why I have not recv'd a copy of the repair invoice. Everything I've shared here has been from memory from when the original repairs took place. Once I get a copy of the invoice I will scan it and post a copy here.

Pencilneck: I completely agree with you. Very often things are left out of a tale of woe inadvertently or even purposefully. In my case, I am guilty of the former. I neglected to account for the replacement of two coil packs and an oil change. The principal amount of the billing is for the labor, charging 2 hours to clean everything up and test the coil packs to ensure they were OK.

I, like you (as you mentioned you had worked at a dealership), have turned many a wrench in my years of racing and vehicle maintenance/restoration. I hate to have others work on any of my vehicles or bikes unless warranty requires it. Having my daughter almost 2,000 miles away makes it difficult to know who to trust.

As the repairs were going to be covered by her warranty company they had approved the work. By the time I was aware of the costs associated with the repairs I began to scrutinize (over the phone) their billing. By that time the work had been completed and the warranty company had shelled out their portion for the repairs. I was stuck with the remainder and had to pay it in order for my daughter to get her car out of their shop.

As mentioned above, I insisted they send me a copy of the repair invoice so I could look it over. Still haven't recv'd it to this day (but they promised me today that they would send another!).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Small Car Enterprises on College St. Just down the road from Austin Peay is the local trusted Import Shop.

Shop has a Red Beetle on their roof.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts