VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always browsing sites like Cars.com or Autotrader to see what NBs are out there, and by far, the majority advertised on these sites will be found at independent dealers as opposed to the major big-name places. Now I've always heard that the reason something like a used NB at a VW, Ford, Chevy, Honda, or whatever dealership will be higher-priced than a comparable one at, say, Zippy Motors or Jerry's Auto Sales is because the indys either get all the junk that the big-name dealers farm out or from auctions and are sold "as-is" with little or no reconditioning.

I've also browsed private sellers on Craigslist and found NBs even cheaper than independent dealers. Do you guys go by the stereotypes above and assume the old adage of "You get what you pay for" is a constant or is this just a myth in your opinion?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Dealers charge more so they can make money.

I tend to stick to private sellers, as you have a better chance at getting information on maintenance history, which is huge with these cars.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With major purchases (Over $10K) I've always had something to trade in, and I didn't want to go through the hassles of trying to sell my cars outright, so I always went through dealers, but since I've seen how much less NBs from private parties are going for on Craigslist, I'm seriously thinking of that route next time. Besides, I only wish to spend 5-6K or less. The only downside is that in Wisconsin, a car purchased from a private seller can't be registered until the DMV gets sales tax. When I was growing up in Illinois, you didn't have to pay sales tax on privately-bought items, at least not back in the late 70s-early 80s.........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts