NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife's 2000 1.8t 5 speed bug stopped going into 1st gear today . it started acting up a few days ago. where the pivot ball of the shifter is there is a stud coming out toward the driver side with a bushing on the end that pushes the plate on that side up and down when you move the shifter side to side. that bushing was wore thrue witch is what caused the prob so I went down to the vw dealer and they were no help as usual . they told me the bushing comes with the hole $120 shifter. I had a windshield wiper bushing that i made work but figured i would get a short throw shifter for it any way. ive seen some for $200 and some for $40.the $40 sounds good to me . whats the difference. i dont care about the nob . ill put the stock one back on

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
The main difference is the $200 unit shortens the throw on both directions, front to back and side to side. While the cheaper one's only reduce front to back. Still a great low budget easy to do mod.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Short Shift > ES#648 TT Short Shift Kit - With Shifter Cable End - 8N0711046

This is the one I got and I am pretty happy with it. Easy to install and it does shift a little better. Not a huge difference but worth the 40 bucks.
I suggest changing your manual transmission fluid if you haven't done so. Mine was really cruddy looking and has been in there a while when I first got the car. I changed to Penzoil Synchromesh manual transmission fluid and the difference was dramatic. It now shifts smooth as silk. I was going to get 2 quarts of the OEM G60 MTF but the dealer didn't have any in stock so I thought give the Snychromesh a try and I am glad I did.

Have a great weekend!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I've found ,the tt shifter looks like its a part that goes on the tranny? Not that I don't want that, but I need to replace the bushing in the handle . Am I wrong about the tt shifter ?

·
turbo
1,043 Posts
I have the B&M short throw in my car and it works wonderfully. well worth the money.

Volkswagen

25% reduction in throw

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
From what I've found ,the tt shifter looks like its a part that goes on the tranny? Not that I don't want that, but I need to replace the bushing in the handle . Am I wrong about the tt shifter ?
You are right, the TT shifter replaces your Golf Club looking shifter weight and end link to shorten the overall up and down throw of your shifts. Most short shifters entail some sort of linkage replacement or modification. It seems your problem is with the actual shifter inside the car. If you want to replace the shifter inside the car with one other than OEM then the only one I know of would be the B&M shifter. I heard they are a bit difficult to install since you have to drop the exhaust system to get to it from the bottom. If it is just a bushing you need I would think it would be replaceable rather than replacing the entire shifter.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The TT shifter is a really easy install and it's 1/3 of the price of the B&M. I like to keep my mods as close to OEM as possible to keep the car halfway reliable.
Actually, at $39.95 the TT shifter is less than 1/5 of the 212.xx B&M shifter. Even going with an OEM Shifter at $120.00 and the TT short shifter at 40 bucks you still save $52.00 then going with the B&M shifter. Besides, I still think there should be a replacement bushing rather than replacing the entire shifter.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have the part #? I would live to have that info so I could go back to the dumb ass ,lazy dealer .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
This is the same diagram the dealer had but it does not show the bushing that I need.he said it comes with the shifter
Can you identify the bushing from the diagram? On the link above they do show 12 different bushings. If know which Number bushing you need I bet that place can send you the proper bushing. Worth a call (888) 821-9502

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can you identify the bushing from the diagram? On the link above they do show 12 different bushings. If know which Number bushing you need I bet that place can send you the proper bushing. Worth a call (888) 821-9502
there is no # for the bushing i need . it doesnt even show it

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
has anybody used one of the $40 shifters and do you like it?
Well, I have it and use it every day. And if you read the posts above you can see that SMG put one in every Beetle he owns and I am sure he didn't do that because he hates them :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts