NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My NB just finished the first 1000 miles. My friend said I should change oil to take out the metal particles during brake-in period. So, I checked the user manual, which doesn't say anything about it.:confused:

Seemly the first maintainence should be done while hitting 5000miles.

Could anyone kindly give me some advises?

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Change it at 5000 miles.

The "1000 mile metal shaving" bit is folklore crap. Pulled the oil on all three @ 5000+ miles, and there wasn't one bit of metal to be found.

It's also about proper break-in. If you love your NB, follow the intervals. ;)

-Des

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you, buddy! :)
I will do the regular maintainence based on the schedule on the manual. Hope this lovely bug can work well for the next 5 or 6 years.
this weekend, i think i should drive it over 90mph on highway for a while. i really love it whose performance is much smooth than my old crap corolla on highway.:p

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
baobaobeibei said:
thank you, buddy! :)
I will do the regular maintainence based on the schedule on the manual. Hope this lovely bug can work well for the next 5 or 6 years.
this weekend, i think i should drive it over 90mph on highway for a while. i really love it whose performance is much smooth than my old crap corolla on highway.:p
No cruise control for first 1000, vary your engine speeds, etc. :cool:

-Des

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Here is some other engine break-in period trivia:

I've always been told not to run synthetic oil during break-in. Leave the original oil in for the 5,000 miles - then switch to synthetic at that point if you want.

What I've always wondered about this - aren't some mfg'ers putting synthetic in from the factory? (New Corvettes with Mobil 1 come to mind....)

·
I told you so!
56 Posts
Yes, a lot of premium cars are coming from the factory with synthetic. Keep in mind that most people aren't 'car people' like us. To them a car is a 'black box'. This idea of break in with regular oil, then switch to synthetic would be too confusing to most. So the manufacturer said 'only synthetic', keeping it simple for the hoi polloi.

I've met some people so anal about their engine oil that they recommend changing the oil as soon as you get home with the new car, again at 100 miles, 1000 miles, then follow the recommended schedule. This is overkill. Changing at 5K on factory fill should suffice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The salesman who sold us our Bug made a big point about telling us to resist the impulse to change the oil before 5000 miles. So we resisted, and when we reached 5000 we were happy to see that the oil was nice and clean when we changed it. And the Bug hadn't burned any, it was still full.

PS What brand and weight oil do you all use????

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Deserion said:
No cruise control for first 1000, vary your engine speeds, etc. :cool:

-Des
We've so broken that rule with the Jetta V. The sole reason we drive it is the fact that it has cruise and both drivers have LEAD FEET! :D

·
I told you so!
56 Posts
I vote for Mobil 5W-40 synthetic. I believe it's sold as Delvac, Truck & SUV, or Mobil 1... all the same thing. Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm not a synthetic user for my other cars.

For the Florida climate you could even move to higher grades... 10W-40 or 15W-40 for the summer.

·
Just Bugged
61 Posts
I perfer Amsoil myself, I have 90,000 miles on our 2003 Matrix and it never uses any oil between 20,000 mile oil changes and is as clean coming out as it went in, bought the car new and I could not wait till the first oil change to start using it.

We just got our 2001 Beetle and I plan on using the Amsoil it it too. But it came to us with a fresh oil change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts