NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 NB thats silver and it has tons of scratches and the hood is destroyed from love bug season, they ruined my paint! ;( deciding on whether i should paint it pink and if this would be a good color. and could i paint it myself? it so expensive to get it done!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'm confused, paint it yourself with what? Rattle can spray paint, Paint with spayer equipment like you would paint a house, attempt to rent the proper spray equipment, compressor, and spray both, I don't understand.

Painting a car is a major undertaking. It involves extensive prep work of the old finish, including filling scratches, dings, dents, etc, and sanding, sanding and more sanding. Then mask everything off, then a coat of primer to prime all the prep work, then more sanding, then re-masking everything again, then spraying the base coat color, again followed by more sanding, and another re-masking of everything, followed by the final clear coating. which then may need to be followed up with possible light sanding and final buffing. 30 days after that a finish sealer and a couple coats of quality clear carnuba wax. The paint, hardeners, solvents, and all the misc sundries, e.g. tape, sandpaper, etc. can easily run $1000 cost. A typical factory quality paint job, without a color change can run $5000. A complete color change as much as $8000 depending on the level of quality finish you want when your done. I have heard of many and seen a few custom paint jobs that exceeded $20,000.

Unless you are very talented, have access to all the right equipment, and have a couple working weeks of time on your hands, painting a car is not a DIY job. You will be far ahead of the game, selling your car, adding the money you don't spend on a paint job, and buying something newer and with better paint. And all pointless anyway if you don't have enough respect for your paint to keep it washed, waxed, and the damn love (not what we call 'em) bugs washed off.

Typically people don't pay to have quality paint jobs done on older vehicles of low value becasue the money can NEVER be recovered. This is what you would do to a collector car, a car your were going to show, or a new car who's paint has been damaged for one reason or another.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
In 99.9% of resprays, the cost depends on how good the finish will be. A good deepest will involve removing the fenders and other parts. Cut corners getting a cheaper respray with the bug staying as one piece and the paint will eventually Peel at the edges.

It's also all in the preparation of the bug before any paint touches it.

Good luck

:)

IMHO

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
I'm confused, paint it yourself with what? Rattle can spray paint, Paint with spayer equipment like you would paint a house, attempt to rent the proper spray equipment, compressor, and spray both, I don't understand.

Painting a car is a major undertaking. It involves extensive prep work of the old finish, including filling scratches, dings, dents, etc, and sanding, sanding and more sanding. Then mask everything off, then a coat of primer to prime all the prep work, then more sanding, then re-masking everything again, then spraying the base coat color, again followed by more sanding, and another re-masking of everything, followed by the final clear coating. which then may need to be followed up with possible light sanding and final buffing. 30 days after that a finish sealer and a couple coats of quality clear carnuba wax. The paint, hardeners, solvents, and all the misc sundries, e.g. tape, sandpaper, etc. can easily run $1000 cost. A typical factory quality paint job, without a color change can run $5000. A complete color change as much as $8000 depending on the level of quality finish you want when your done. I have heard of many and seen a few custom paint jobs that exceeded $20,000.

Unless you are very talented, have access to all the right equipment, and have a couple working weeks of time on your hands, painting a car is not a DIY job. You will be far ahead of the game, selling your car, adding the money you don't spend on a paint job, and buying something newer and with better paint. And all pointless anyway if you don't have enough respect for your paint to keep it washed, waxed, and the damn love (not what we call 'em) bugs washed off.

Typically people don't pay to have quality paint jobs done on older vehicles of low value becasue the money can NEVER be recovered. This is what you would do to a collector car, a car your were going to show, or a new car who's paint has been damaged for one reason or another.
That's what I was thinking except that I didn't know the details of the process! Painting a car is for professionals!

To the OP - learn all you can about the proper detailing of a car's exterior (washing, drying, claybar, waxing). Get the right products and schedule a few days for making your car's paint look the best it can. It's a lot of work but worth it. Another alternative would be to ask around in your town and find a reputable detailing shop. An exterior detail will run you about $100-200.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Sorry but that's just Rubbish. What a thing to say.?

Not at home and on my cell phone so can't post images until tomorrow, but I know of at least 30 bugs that have been resprayed and hundreds of other vw 's.

It's all about personal choice. Not collector or to regain the cost. Actually in some cases it makes the car worth more.

Images tomorrow: p

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Not on this side of the pond, unless you have a friend in the business and he happens to have the color paint you want in drums, has a lot of extra time to donate pro bono. Sorry.

M.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Not on this side of the pond, unless you have a friend in the business and he happens to have the color paint you want in drums, has a lot of extra time to donate pro bono. Sorry.

M.
We have very few body shops here per town. Cities have more. I find it hard to believe that out there. There isn't a few body shops within a short drive of the OP.

Crash repair centers do resprays over here too.

Going back to is it worth it. It's surely the owners choice?

Over here an average price for a good respray is £1800 to £2600.

I'd of thought it would be lower there. More choice and competition.
Need to get home to post a few photos. Home spray can job to pro..

:)

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Sorry but that's just Rubbish. What a thing to say.?

Not at home and on my cell phone so can't post images until tomorrow, but I know of at least 30 bugs that have been resprayed and hundreds of other vw 's.

It's all about personal choice. Not collector or to regain the cost. Actually in some cases it makes the car worth more.

Images tomorrow: p

M.
Blugg's statement it true on THIS side of the pond too.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
To the original post:

I gather that you're a big fan of pink?:)

One thing to consider is pink accents, rather than the entire car pink. There's several new beetles on this site who's owners are crazy about pink. They've went the pink accent route and you'd be very surprised on the outstanding job and overall look of the pink accent.

Granted a silver respray along with pink accents might cost you more, so a total pink, might fit your bill. But if you do a LOT of local research, you can find someone local, or not too far away to paint your beetle as you desire, professionally, yet at a reasonable price. There are many who aren't professional auto painters by trade, but have been trained professionally (working in shops or learned in school) Who have extensive background and experience in the craft. Many have built their own rods/collectors/toys on their own and have done their own paint too. These folk are out there- if you're serious about a total color change, and are willing to put the time in to research and pound the pavement, you'll find a top-notch painter, with a shade-tree price. AGAIN, it's gonna take some work on your end, but it will be worth it.

Professional quality and a good deal is out there- research and time is the key.

·
Registered
119 Posts
To do a proper paint job on this car,you need to dissasemble it. Fenders bumper covers, hood, and hatch, should be removed. If it has a sunroof the headliner should be taken out too. The plastic body parts need a special paint to allow for the flex aside form the metal pieces. The cheapist quote I have found in the St Louis area is just under $3000. with life time waranty. Just doing the front and rear ,witch is what I realy need is $1600. I will go through one more winter and get it painted nexted spring.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I agree with MORAV about the work involved in a repaint. I own a 1965 VW Squarback, ny pride and joy. When I bought it and began the process in 1994, I had a customer who owned a bodyshop. Because I am an auto detailer by trade and have the patience for such things, I worked out a deal to de-chrome the car and save some serious $$. I removed all emblems and trim and bagged and labeled everything. I got a REALLY nice paint job and then I put it all back together. Showed the car in 2000 at the VW classic in Irvine, Ca, and won my class! Ok, enough grandstanding.... If you are hands on, find a good "quickie" paint shop. Here in Los Angeles, we have Maaco, Earl Sheib, and One Day Paint centers. Don't know where you live, but there must be a place like that somewhere nearby. These are the best bargain for a job that doesn't require show quality paint. They will charge extra for any dents beyond the cost of the paint. They are a good value and have a decent choice of colors. With my '99 NB, the paint is good enough, luckily, and I just do my own touch up. Except for the front bumper which I am tackling, on my own! :D

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Those places do have their "complete paint job for $xxx campaigns. You have to understand, the colors are limited to the colors that they stock, in 55 gal drums, ditto the paint specific hardners and reducers. Pink if probably not going to be one of them, becasue it,s not a big mover. And those prices never include clear coating, scratch or dent removal of any kind, and no parts are stripped off and then put back on. Everything is masked. Typically the whole car is "shot" at one time, with out any additive in the paint for the "soft" parts.

I can speak from experience though, Macco, while they have this type of service is also a full fledged body shop. That is where the Houston Dealers, at least all of the ones under the same ownership (I think there are 6 owned by the same guy), send their work and refer their customers. I learned this when the wife tarshed the rocker panel on our first NB, and '00T puke cyber green. They did an excellent job, well at least a job equivalent to the factory paint. Fortunately, becasue of doing the work for the VW dealers, they stocked the paint, otherwise it probably would have been higher, and they were very reasonable. But again, you are going to get the level of paint work you pay for.

I open to hear of from anyone that can direct me to any place that is going to touch a metallic basecoat, and clearcoat, at factory level of paint, for under $3000 (no color change). including stripping and reinstalling of anything even remotely removable (anytime you have a paint edge you have the potential for peel), but excluding any scratch or body work that has to be done. I'd sure like to know, I have three that need to be either repainted (the NBC and the Z28) or refreshed - clear coat only, with minor touch up of basecoat (Burb). Let me hear from you. If you have had it done, and have a receipt, put it up, by all means.

And I'm not talking any kind of "friendly" deal or "helping with the prep, masking, etc", I'm talking turnkey, walking in off the street.

M.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
I can't direct you to any paint jobber per your challenge. All I'm saying is look around, and do extensive research. Your research might find someone out there that will do a professional job at a reasonable price.

Growing up, I've known people who've worked on race cars as well street rods and had substantial garages &/or paint booth. They might not stamp out countless amounts of cars like a paint/body shop, but they have the equipment- sometimes sitting around idle. In doing some research, as you would with any consumer purchase, you might find a deal out there. Deal doesn't always equate to cheap quality, nor would I suggest compromising quality, and longevity for the sake of saving a few dollars. A paint job is a considerable investment and if you're wanting quality, it's gonna cost ya. And again I say, do your homework.

Also keep in mind StlBug's advice- that's how your beetle is to be painted:bigthumb:

I'm not saying that my suggestion is not the end all, beat all; in the same token, my suggestion shouldn't be discounted as worthless. As the saying goes, buyer beware... Exercise good diligence and research, research, research.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Photo's of resprayed Bug's as promised.

From this..

To this..

From this.. The black was a rattle can, home done job.

To this..

This was Blue and is now.. PINK

Yellow to.........

One more that's PINK

Could always wrap it. This was wrapped.

Before..

After..

And After the Bonnet was wrapped..

Not a nice Pink and Yellow.. imho

Although wrapping a bug with dents and scratches will only show up the dent and scratches more.

I'd suggest getting the dents and scratches sorted first.
Then as and when funds allow, get the respray :)

I don't agree with the bodyshops not having the paint in stock. If they want the business in this economic downturn,
they'll get it in. Not wanting to argue with
'MyOtherRidesAVette' I just don't agree :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Shops in this country, like Maaco and Eal Scheib, have certain colors, hardners, reducers, and clear coats that they stock in 55 gal drums (they are so big, althoough franchised, they probably buy these from the manufacturer (and an off brand at that), and obviously buy this way cheaper than going to the local PPG or what ever distributor and buy a gallon of a "non'stocked" color. And paint prices themselves vary widely from color to color, metallic, etc. Ditto the matching herdners and reducers. Primer, base coat and clearcoat, hardners, and reducers for a single vehicle runs into the hundreds, just the material. As you say, price is market driven, but with the new car business down, people keeping their old cars, and the used car market being up, body shops' and paint shops' prices are up, NOT DOWN.

M.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Shops in this country, like Maaco and Eal Scheib, have certain colors, hardners, reducers, and clear coats that they stock in 55 gal drums (they are so big, althoough franchised, they probably buy these from the manufacturer (and an off brand at that), and obviously buy this way cheaper than going to the local PPG or what ever distributor and buy a gallon of a "non'stocked" color. And paint prices themselves vary widely from color to color, metallic, etc. Ditto the matching herdners and reducers. Primer, base coat and clearcoat, hardners, and reducers for a single vehicle runs into the hundreds, just the material. As you say, price is market driven, but with the new car business down, people keeping their old cars, and the used car market being up, body shops' and paint shops' prices are up, NOT DOWN.

M.
They've stayed pretty much the same over here. The only thing i don't understand is why you are so adamant about the OP not getting 'Their' Bug resprayed. It's their money :)

This is the part that i don't agree is correct in the world we live in. Pop over to the UK sometime. Garages are constantly doing resprays on older cars :)

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Don't be fooled Blugg. Those setups you talk about in the UK exist here in the states as well.
x2. Always knowledgable painters in the neighborhoods. Just got and talk shop at a Cruise Night and they'll point you in the right direction! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i wasnt expecting so many replies! i'd hope to be able to paint it myself, well my dad. he's pretty good with all that kind of stuff. of course we'd look into it more but i'd eventually like it all pink!

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
well i wasnt expecting so many replies! i'd hope to be able to paint it myself, well my dad. he's pretty good with all that kind of stuff. of course we'd look into it more but i'd eventually like it all pink!
That will be pretty cool- having you and pops paint your beetle will be a memorable moment for the two of you, as well as an experience to look back on and share.

From just the few words you've just posted, sounds like your Dad is a talented man. Although He'll be doing the work, I encourage you to be involved in as much as you can- refer to previous paragraph:)

Being that you'll be changing the color, just make sure you all remove your hood, fenders, as much as you can remove, to assure excellent results. And don't forget the flex agent, which is a must for our car's plastic fenders. Again, research is one of your biggest tools, so get all the knowledge you can about paint, body prep and all that good stuff:)

Keep us posted on your beetle's paint adventure.

Oh, I see you all live in Lakeland.... Howdy fellow Floridian- Jacksonville FL here:wave2: You and the family will have to join us for the GtG's that we have. We travel well and would love to meet up with you, your family and your bug:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts