NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2001 VW Beetle with 53K miles on it. I have the Carfax and this vehicle has been maintained very well but, there have been some issues:
Brake light switch replaced at 12K miles

Rear brake bads replaced at 14K miles - this seems early
Intake/exhaust valves ground or replaced 14K
Fuel Injectors flushed/serviced 14k
Intake Manifold replaced

At 14.6K miles -
Spark plugs replaced
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
VAS System checked - WHAT IS THIS?

Between 14.6K and 41K - Brake light switch replaced twice

It looks like this vehicle had some issues early on but, seems to be ok based on the Carfax results. All work done at VW dealerships in Florida.

Is this a reliable motor and vehicle by VW standards as a 2.0 liter? I'm looking at this car for my daughter to drive around town..will probably put 3-4K miles per year.

Having the vehicle inspected by a reputable import repair facility for a complete and thorough opinion.

Is this a good vehicle? Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
Sounds like very low mileage for the year; I wouldn't worry about the temperature sensor and brake switch, those are/were known issues, that were dealt with by revised parts and/or Volkswagen recalls.

The valves being reground; makes me wonder, if something related to the timing belt path failed; at 14k there would not be any reason to have head work done that I can think of, unless it was a catastrophic failure of some sort (timing belt failure).

Another issue; is it a stick or auto? :confused: The autos on these cars seem to be failure prone; would nice to avoid that if possible.

A thorough and professional evaluation is always recommended for sure on a Volkswagen; good call! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What oil do you use? Castrol Full Synthetic? 5w40?

Yep..Automatic transmission....that's really what I want for my daughter...hopefully my mechanic can verify any issues.

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
If you decide to go with a auto; just assume, you are going to have to replace the valve body at some point. Getting into a habit; of changing the "lifetime" transmission fluid, might help the transmission last longer but many here have had to replace the valve body at a minimum or replace/rebuild the whole transmission; they just do not seem to last.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
In order to be cost effective you will have to have deep pockets, & a very special love for this particular automobile! Even in great shape these cars are not worth too much over $3000. But, there are some out there who have well over a hundred thousand miles on their automatics! But, when they do finally go down it costs big bucks to have them repaired. I would like to think that you could get a good remanufactured unit for about 1500 bucks, but that just hasn't happened yet. Hmm... Next big thing? Please remember, this is strictly my personal opinion. I strongly encourage you to listen to others on here who have way more experience than me! O, by the way welcome to New Beetle .org. :) We are glad you found us.:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I had a 2.0 liter. Great engine. Not super fast but cheap and easy to maintain.

I would say, try to teach her to drive a manual. I got my Beetle with the same mileage. I had no real clue how to drive a manual and I learned on mine. It was very forgiving and easy to learn on. Plus, it makes you focus more on the car and your driving. I learned to drive on autos and I never thought I would be able to drive a manual, or even enjoy it. Now, I wouldn't drive anything else. And this way, I can drive any car in a pinch!

The auto transmissions, especially the early O1M, which is whats in an '01, are garbage. They are extremely failure prone. Valve body replacements aren't cheap, and replacing them doesn't always fix the issues. The VW autos also aren't cheap to rebuild or replace. Many people end up doing 5-speed swaps after their autos die, just because its so much cheaper. My husband picked up an '01 Jetta TDI with a completely dead automatic at 114k. And that's not really all that uncommon. I would shy away from them if possible. If she really needs an auto, I would recommend another car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Autos have problems.

Manual would be the best way to go.

The engine itself is rock-solid. It can have a few electrical problems though. Mine has, but not anymore. Rocking 165k miles, still love the car.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Buy the car?

Depends, you got plenty of money for parts? you plan on working on this car almost every weekend? You like working on cars all the time and buying lots of tools?...then go for it man. You'll be a beetle mechanic before you know it..LOL:D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bought my wife on last Dec.. Spent $1500.00 doing all of the usual stuff (TB &water pump, thermostat, temp sensor, plugs & wires, fuel filter, front crash sensors, etc) because I didn't get the service records and didn't want to take any chances with the car.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Depends, you got plenty of money for parts? you plan on working on this car almost every weekend? You like working on cars all the time and buying lots of tools?...then go for it man. You'll be a beetle mechanic before you know it..LOL:D
We have 3 VWs in our driveway...and the newest is 10 years old. Definitely don't work on them every weekend. Not even every month. Its all about keeping up with maintenance. We don't work on them all that often. More often than hubby's old Honda? Yes. But often? I wouldn't say so. You'll have problems with most any 10+ year old car.

·
Registered
875 Posts
My first car was a '98 2.0 auto :) around town it only did 20 mpg. It had the 3 speed auto, my '05 2.0 with the 6 speed auto is much peppier.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
My first car was a '98 2.0 auto :) around town it only did 20 mpg. It had the 3 speed auto, my '05 2.0 with the 6 speed auto is much peppier.
That would be a 4-speed auto :)

I got 21-23 mpg around town in my '99 2.0 5-speed. You definitely get a mileage bump with a manual. TDI autos can suck down as much as 10 mpgs!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Thanks smileybug ;). Maintenance is key, my beetles have 106,000 (2.0) and 103,000(tdi) miles. I drove 16,000 miles in the tdi, mom put 21,000 on the 2.0. Between the 2 in the last year, we have front wheel bearings, rear light socket and a rust spot repaired on the roof of the 2.0; timing belt/water pump and front brakes on the tdi. Definitely not every weekend, even when you add 4 oil changes (every 10,000 miles) and a pair of fuel filters plus cabin & outside air filter on the 2.0.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
no maintenance

We have 3 VWs in our driveway...and the newest is 10 years old. Definitely don't work on them every weekend. Not even every month. Its all about keeping up with maintenance. We don't work on them all that often. More often than hubby's old Honda? Yes. But often? I wouldn't say so. You'll have problems with most any 10+ year old car.
not even once a month? you should know better that we need to keep up the maintenance on these cars Keep them well maintained and they'll last longer.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
We do keep them very well maintained. Doesn't mean we're under the hood every month doing work. Keep them well maintained and you shouldn't need to tinker with them constantly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought this white '98 2.0 5 speed to replace my blue '99 TDI for my daughter after she totaled it. Herbie had 111K miles on it then, now has 125K miles. Been a solid car, especially after taking a risk on Craig's list. A rotted vacuum line, seat belt harness error and a little rust on the rocker panel have been the only problems so far in two years. Timing belt, brakes, new tranny fluid and oil changes are all required maintenance items. Motor and tranny are good. She gets a lot of attention, especially after she added the stickers:

Attachments

·
431 Posts
I had an 01 Jetta with the 2.0 Automatic, and I have to say it was the best little car I have ever had. A few minor issues that I could fix myself. Avg mileage was 26-28mpg and the only time my transmission struggled(i.e. ran hot) was when I towed my wife's Taurus 85 miles when it broke down. It had over 170,000 miles when I sold it to my neighbor, and they just moved it to Michigan. The only two things I didn't like about it was that it was an automatic and I wanted a manual, and it wasn't a Beetle. I now have a 5 speed Beetle with the 2.0 engine, so life is good. But I have nothing bad to say about the automatics. Mine was very good to me.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts