VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I returned from vacation to find that my son had hit a mailbox with my 2003 1.8T. He caused quite a bit of damage to the right front and I figure the repairs are going to cost more than the car is worth.

I have just put new injector cups, new alternator and upgraded battery cables on the bug. Would it be better to pull some of the parts and sell them individually or try to sell the complete car for parts?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Maybe post some pics of the damage? How many miles on the car and if it hadn't been wrecked; did it meet your needs and how much longer, did you plan on keeping it? What is the overall condition of the car, what trim level is it and is the transmission a stick or auto? Most of these cars; are not worth much at 15 year old point. Did you get a insurance claim; on the accident, how much did they give you for repairs or do they want to total it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will get some pics in the morning, it was almost dark when I got home and it is totally dark now.

Car has about 115,000 on it. It was specifically bought to be my son's first car and he was going to drive it for the foreseeable future.

No insurance claim as it was my son's fault and no collision coverage.

I was thinking about pulling the ECU and any other easily removed parts and selling them and then just junk the car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
parting?

People always want to part out their car. Look at the CL and you will find lots of listings for Beetles being "parted out". I just don't think there is a big market for 2003 parts from any vehicle. I do think there is a market for running driving 2003 cars. Our 2003 New Beetle we bought last September with 200k on the clock.

I hate seeing running, driving cars being scrapped. Plus if you start parting it, it might take 6 months to make any money anyway. I'd fix it with junkyard parts and sell it as a complete car. Just my 2c. Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts