NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
blue highways
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Felix has gotten the flu. He sat for a week in a parking lot with two or three days of rain after which I drove 5 miles back to my place, running fine. I got back in 10 minutes later to drop off library books and the engine is shuddering, not going over 10mph and CEL is blinking.
Well, no way to get him to the shop to read codes so I got a rental car and picked up a coil, plugs and wires, and injector cleaner. Oil was very low though it was ok two weeks back (took 2 quarts to get back to top of full line). Replaced coil (old one showed no visible cracks) and plugs/wires. Plugs had hard white ash on 1 and 4 with black under that. 2 and 3 looked more overcooked. Anyone have any thoughts on what to try next? Tabitha is going to be back up on Sunday with the vag-com laptop but I need to drive to NC on Friday. The timing belt, pump, and tensioner were done a few thousand miles ago. The metal shield was rusted through so timing mark was gone but it was reset were it had been.

Mileage is around 320,000 and car is auto. What's next? Throttle body and MAF cleaning?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
My guess would be sticking fuel injector(s). I have experienced shuddering after startup when cold, especially after sitting for several days. It is also accompanied by a strong smell of raw gas in the exhaust. What is unusual here is it was the second startup. I changed the brand of gas I use and my car is much better. I also use the "Techron" fuel injector cleaner periodically (every oil change).

320,000 miles! Really? Wow, that is quite impressive especially with an automatic.

·
blue highways
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Injectors would make sense..
I did have several weeks where the car would have a very rough start after filling up with gas- would gun it a little and catch or else stall. I replaced the fuel filter and this did nothing whatsoever, dooming my theory that the full tank was floating some debris into the system. The last few weeks were normal though I did get premium a couple times. I ran premium for the first 5 years but then used regular or mid-grade. The throttle body was replaced once, cleaned twice but not in 50,000 or so now.

The O1M and trans harness were replaced at 80k under warranty but the replacement had the same sluggish shifting so I've just gotten used to it, changing the fluid and accepting it as a quirk. The trans actually seems better behaved when pulling the ca. 700lb camping trailer..go figure

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Throttle valve

Wait till indytom get's hold of this posting, he'll BE ALL OVER IT WITH SEAFOAM..LOL :p jk indytom we appreciate your help around here. For starters I would clean the throttle valve and spray the maf sensor. Good luck man , oh and don't forget to re-calibrate the throttle valve when you finish by turning the key to the on position without starting and hold for 20-30 seconds, back to off position and the system re-calibrates the throttle valve.

·
blue highways
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well- a gap in the rain and the car running steady with a steady CEL finally coincided and I went over to Autozone. The guy printed out something that looked more like a Christmas tree decoration than a diagnosis. Hopefully the misfires are still from before the spark plug/wire replacement yesterday. I don't hear any vacuum leaks. I almost got seafoam but the Autozone guys talked me into getting the Lucas stuff on sale before I went to Advance.

So, MAF and throttle position sensor are definitely in the running, heh

Attachments

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Wow, 320k miles? Amazing!!! How many transmissions did it go through ? :). I am on the road so I can't elaborate too much on the codes but it looks like dirty throttle body and a faulty purge valve and or canister. If you really have 320k miles it isn't a surprise. And Lucas really doesn't work. Seafoam FTW :)

·
blue highways
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally back in town and able to look at the problem again. the car ran fine a half dozen times but i just had two trips with the shuddering and blinking again. i have the MAF soaking and drying in maf cleaner in the kitchen, took off the breather hose and duct. The throttle vale looks ok, oil breather port has been gunked up with moisture. The hose is dirty inside but not actually clogged. I have a new hose Im going to go ahead and replace it with. Will clean this stuff and then pull the Throttle body

Attachments

·
blue highways
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The gunk. Scrubbing the yellow overspray off everything while Im at it

Attachments

·
blue highways
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I did clean the throttle body at least once before- but I don't remember having any trouble (dealer replaced it once and claimed they cleaned it at least once as well). When I took the small hose off (right side, upper photo) it dumped coolant. Is this normal/do I need to worry about bubbles now, etc? I put the hose back on for the time being. I need to go hunt a longer allen key before I can get on with it anyway.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I did clean the throttle body at least once before- but I don't remember having any trouble (dealer replaced it once and claimed they cleaned it at least once as well). When I took the small hose off (right side, upper photo) it dumped coolant. Is this normal/do I need to worry about bubbles now, etc? I put the hose back on for the time being. I need to go hunt a longer allen key before I can get on with it anyway.
That hose takes coolant through the throttle body and then over to the overflow tank. Since it is up high you won't loose much coolant. After you start the engine next time the level in the bottle will go down a little. Just shut off the engine and fill back to the full mark.

·
blue highways
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok- next problem. No Vag-com within half an hour. Is the battery disconnect a sufficient reset to drive five miles, park car for the week (working out of town with company car), then drive to dealer and get adjusted? I need to finally get a vag com- just seemed there was always someone close-by until recently

·
blue highways
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's getting dark- I went ahead and manually opened the valve by wedging the gas pedal down with a stick and cleaned what i could..only dirtied up a half dozen Q-tips. Now to dry and reassemble
This thread and the vortex thread HarlequinPixie mentioned came in handy-
http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/54904-desperate.html

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
ok- next problem. No Vag-com within half an hour. Is the battery disconnect a sufficient reset to drive five miles, park car for the week (working out of town with company car), then drive to dealer and get adjusted? I need to finally get a vag com- just seemed there was always someone close-by until recently
I'm don't think you need to reset the ECU, just do the throttle recalibration that esse10 described earlier.

·
blue highways
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok need to get to work! Anyone know where this hose goes? It would be freezing rain...

Attachments

·
blue highways
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Never mind. I got it. Car still runs like crap though

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
You should try fuel injector cleaner the next time you buy gas. I use Techron with good results. Don't dilute it too much. The 20 gallon size with about 3/4 tank of gas is about right. Try changing your brand of gas as well. My NB doesn't get along well with Valero gas for some reason.

There is also the purge valve error code as well. You could try some things to diagnose that. When the car runs poorly is it rough at idle as well?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Did you rerun the codes and see what codes remain?

Also did you ever change the transmission fluid? If not I am truly amazed that the 01M Crappymatic is still running. ;)

Did you change the plugs and gap them at the proper setting?

Also you can clean the Throttlebody all you want if the TPS sensor is fried or has a bad connection it will keep on running badly.

Good Luck to you.

·
blue highways
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Idles rough as a cement truck. Have not gotten codes reread again because I am wary to take it out of the parking lot or really start it after the last drive. Put in injector cleaner but just Lucas (on a notch under a full tank).

The trans fluid has been changed twice and the trans was replaced at 80k before that under warranty (this, together with trans wiring harness, sensors, etc. did nothing to correct the shifting so I just drove it and changed the fluid). Transmission is not the problem at the moment..definitely engine

The plugs were replaced with Bosch Plus 4, same as I've used for several years. I did not gap them.

I'll check out the TPS and purge valve options but I think easiest right now is to call a flatbed and have the shop take a look. With the Vanagon off the road, I have AAA Plus tows to use up...

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
One quick thing you could try to rule out the purge valve: Pinch off the EVAP purge line and see if the idle improves. This is rubber vacuum hose that comes out from under the passenger fender just ahead of the washer fluid bottle neck. There is actually a recess in the washer bottle that the line fits into. Use pliers to squeeze it shut while the engine is running.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok need to get to work! Anyone know where this hose goes? It would be freezing rain...
Hi, I just actually sighed up today but have been using the forum for several months now. I have been dealing with the same type problem as you and just replaced all my vacuum lines last night (several of mine were brittle). The hose you are holding on the picture plugs in under the hose you replaced. You cant see when standing lookind down at the engine but if you feel just under the bigger hose, you will feel where it connects.

I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts