NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife took our 2009 beetle 2.5 to walmart for a oil change. Since the oil change the vehicle has been jerking and shuttering. Anyone know what might be causing this, I m hoping for something simple since we live about 120 miles form a dealership. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts
Probably getting even for having been subjected to Wally World.:D

Seriously, I'm assuming no CEL (since you didn't mention any), but that doesn't mean there's not any trouble codes. Take it to an Auto Zone or somewhere that will check for any codes. Also take a gander under the hood...check for the easy, obvious things. They might have hit a plug wire, torn a vacuum hose, who knows?

I tend to stay away from Walmart, but realize not everyone has the time to do his own oil change, etc, and the quick lube places aren't any better. Best to find someone you can trust to work on your Bug. Hope it's something simple.

BTW, I HOPE they put a suitable synthetic oil in the car. If not get it drained and replace it. Walmart guys aren't likely familiar with your car's needs.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
If it was related to the oil change, check the oil fill cap, oil fill cap to valve cover interface if you have the 2" extension like the 1.8l, also check to make sure the dipstick is fully seated.

If not any of these things, it may not be related.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah Walmart wasn't idea, couldn't find any loos wires or hoses so it's now sitting at the dealership.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
It might not be related to the oil change.
The most common problem with the 2.5 is the diaphragm in underneath that housing tearing. It's part of the PCV system.

Once it does you will get drivability issues that you are describing.

The problem is that VW doesn't sell just this diaphragm and you must purchase an entire new Valve Cover in order to fix it.
Which means Big Bucks. Even Bigger bucks if you take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well $109.00 later I have got my beetle back. The weirdest diagnoses, when they spray some kind of cleaner at the detail shop the other day apparently the excess went into the #5 spark plug area. They said apparently when Wal-Mart did the change they wigglers some wires and some of the fluid got to the sparkplug. Wow is all I can say.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Well $109.00 later I have got my beetle back. The weirdest diagnoses, when they spray some kind of cleaner at the detail shop the other day apparently the excess went into the #5 spark plug area. They said apparently when Wal-Mart did the change they wigglers some wires and some of the fluid got to the sparkplug. Wow is all I can say.
WOW, $109.00 to clean a spark plug. I am in the wrong business. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts