NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the car on in the morning it starts fine with no problems. Once it heats up, it idles fine, like when at a light but when I let off the clutch and press on the gas, the car dies as if it just ran out of gas. When I turn the key it will try to start. It sounds as if maybe it is out of gas but it will eventually start but will not go. This happened last night and i had to rev it up to take off and keep it rev up so that it did not cut out. When it does get started and as its cranking, you can smell the gas and it smokes....I'm not sure in which direction to go. Any suggestions????

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You getting a CEL or MIL on the instrument panel? It must be throwing some trouble codes. Sounds like a fuel delivery issue.

MORAV

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The CEL has been on since I had the car. Spent a lot of money trying to get it to cut off. Its still on.:mad:
Yesterday I thought it was loose vacuum hoses. I replaced those. Still having the same problem.
The only other light that is on is the temp light. Its blue. I bought a new sensor for that. The car was driving fine otherwise.
I bought a fuel pump relay and a filter. I'm hoping this helps.
I had the cam shaft sensor changed a year ago and these are different symptoms.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
What code(s) are being shown for the CEL?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The CEL codes are, P1225,1226,1227,1228, P1421,1425,1435,1472.
I changed the fuel filter. I still have the same problem. It is not the pump relay.
The car starts when it is cold, but after it warms up it's like it's not getting any gas and will stall out. If I leave it in neutral it's fine. Only when I put it in gear. Sooo, I'm guessing that is a fuel system issue????

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
P1225-P1228 are fuel injection circuit short to ground codes, one code for each cylinder.

17829/P1421/005153 - Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112): Short to Ground
Possible Causes

* Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112) faulty
* Secondary Air Pump Relay (J299) faulty

Possible Solutions

* Check Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112)
* Check Secondary Air Pump Relay (J299)

P1425 - Tank Vent. Valve short to ground

17843/P1435/005173 - Secondary Air Pump Relay (J299): Short to Ground
Possible Causes

* Secondary Air Pump Relay (J299) faulty

Possible Solutions

* Check Secondary Air Pump Relay (J299)

P1472 - EVAP Emission Contr. LDP Circ Short to Ground

So it looks like you have something going on with your secondary air system and maybe some wiring issues somewhere with all of the short to ground codes. What all have you done for the codes so far?

(Sources for codes: VW Online Technical Library - Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) Tables, Ross-Tech Wiki)

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
Well, you said this:

The CEL has been on since I had the car. Spent a lot of money trying to get it to cut off. Its still on.:mad:
So what did you do to try to get the CEL off? It will help in telling you what to try next.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OH, ok...well, the dealer (not a VW dealer) told me he changed the 02 sensor, the light went off for about 60 miles, I had the catalytic converter changed because it was smoking, timing belt, serpentine belt a cam shaft pos sensor and now the fuel filter and a pump relay. No one discussed the codes to me. After getting my hands on a machine I was able actually look and research the codes myself. I assumed the mechanics were fixing the problem but the light never went off and here I am now...
So, this morning, I have plugged in the new pump relay, unplugged the battery for about 20 minutes and now it starts only if I have the driver side door closed. When I open it, it cuts out. -It just gets better and better
F

·
Registered
38 Posts
OH, ok...well, the dealer (not a VW dealer) told me he changed the 02 sensor, the light went off for about 60 miles, I had the catalytic converter changed because it was smoking, timing belt, serpentine belt a cam shaft pos sensor and now the fuel filter and a pump relay. No one discussed the codes to me. After getting my hands on a machine I was able actually look and research the codes myself. I assumed the mechanics were fixing the problem but the light never went off and here I am now...
So, this morning, I have plugged in the new pump relay, unplugged the battery for about 20 minutes and now it starts only if I have the driver side door closed. When I open it, it cuts out. -It just gets better and better
F
My car does this after installing an aftermarket Fuel Pump Relay from Auto Zone... Did you ever find a solution.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
I'd try an OEM relay. I've heard of the aftermarket ones causing issues like that.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
smell fuel

if you smell the fuel and lots of smoke out the tail pipe then u running it too rich, not enough air mixture. Could it be coil packs not firing or shorting out????? :confused: hope this helps out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts