NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so at 3:30am this morning I got in my car and tried o start my car and it looked like it was going to turn on but flickered and died. But my radio turned on so I turned it off and tried again, had to hold it for a couple seconds until it turned on. Drove for maybe 10 miles, stopped and when I opened the door my alarm went off ! Later, got in the car and had a hard time starting it, got out of the car and the alarm goes off again! I'm currently trying to work through my final exams week so I haven't had a chance to check fuses and connections.

Just wondering if anyone has had this symptom before haha. Hopefully I can take care of it soon before I get stranded at school or worse, miss an exam

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Check your battery for greeny/white powder. If it is present brush it off with a wire brush and clean the battery terminals. Check the connections are tight too. Also check there is no corrosion in the fuse box above the battery. Check for burn't out connections.

As a starting place :)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Check your battery for greeny/white powder. If it is present brush it off with a wire brush and clean the battery terminals. Check the connections are tight too. Also check there is no corrosion in the fuse box above the battery. Check for burn't out connections.

As a starting place :)
And after you checked all these things go ahead and go to Pep Boys and get yourself one of these:
Replacement Auto Parts, Replacement Car Parts | Pep Boys

Least expensive battery I found for our cars and it's even a BOSCH so you know it has to be good. ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips, I've been studying all day and night so I didn't get a chance to look under the hood until 6 this morning, it wouldn't start at all. There was green white powder on the black cable terminal but I didn't have anything to clean it with. My dad jump started it and off I went to school for two final exams. So now Im about to leave school (crossing my fingers that it will start) and need to get gas before I hea back home to buy a new battery

Thanks for the link too! I only had a few moments to check oreillys online and they didn't have any for my model o_o ??

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thanks for the tips, I've been studying all day and night so I didn't get a chance to look under the hood until 6 this morning, it wouldn't start at all. There was green white powder on the black cable terminal but I didn't have anything to clean it with. My dad jump started it and off I went to school for two final exams. So now Im about to leave school (crossing my fingers that it will start) and need to get gas before I hea back home to buy a new battery

Thanks for the link too! I only had a few moments to check oreillys online and they didn't have any for my model o_o ??
Be sure you get the right size. It is a royal pain if you don't. It's about a one hour job to get the old one out and to put the new one in. Most places do it for you if you purchase the battery from them. PEP boys was the least expensive one I found that would fit our cars correctly and BOSCH makes a pretty good battery. Lots of Cranking amps and a perfect fit. Go Pep Boys. ;)

·
5/23/10 <3
10,967 Posts
One hour? I think my mechanic had my battery replaced in about 20 minutes or so. Certainly didn't take him an hour.

·
Registered
85 Posts
ive had similar problems latley...did notice a sneak leak to ground when a/c recirc switch is on....if i leave it on, ca is dead evry am....if not car starts....odd.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'd say it sounds like you left your car to sit in the cold for a week and the battery froze, but looking at your location the only time you've seen ice there was likely at a Ducks game.

Your battery is likely dead/drained based on your description.

An hour to change if you've never done it before and are being careful, 20 minutes for a mechanic doing the job taking his time, and under 15 minutes if you're doing it outside in the middle of a snow storm in winter.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

Baking soda! And wire brush, bat cleaner with brushes for both the connector and the post works best. At the auto parts store. If the connection is bad, you may not need a battery. I have had that happen numerous times on numerous vehicles.

Make sure it's for your year. They are not all the same Group size I just learned from replacing mine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is it just me or does the pep boys link not work? :confused: I even tried entering the info myself and it keeps saying that no information is available. Oreilly's only has one battery choice for my car and it's a jumpstart for $135 + $12 for a recycling deposit thing

as far as leaks go, I'd say I haven't seen any. I also haven't had that ac switch on at all lately

went to oreilly's after school and tried to have it tested, the girl there said there was too much corrosion for the machine to read so I bought a cheap bottle of terminal cleaner, going to try it once I'm done with this post and then head back to have it retested and to pick up my mail :D

you're right about the only thing being frozen is the ice the ducks skate on, from what my boyfriend's family says, I hear they're not doing too great hahaha but it is relatively cold here, really cold and windy for this california girl :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
is it just me or does the pep boys link not work? :confused: I even tried entering the info myself and it keeps saying that no information is available. Oreilly's only has one battery choice for my car and it's a jumpstart for $135 + $12 for a recycling deposit thing

as far as leaks go, I'd say I haven't seen any. I also haven't had that ac switch on at all lately

went to oreilly's after school and tried to have it tested, the girl there said there was too much corrosion for the machine to read so I bought a cheap bottle of terminal cleaner, going to try it once I'm done with this post and then head back to have it retested and to pick up my mail :D

you're right about the only thing being frozen is the ice the ducks skate on, from what my boyfriend's family says, I hear they're not doing too great hahaha but it is relatively cold here, really cold and windy for this california girl :cool:
As far as contact, it's not the corrosion ON the terminals it's the oxidation between the cable connectors and the post. They need to be cleaned, for sure, but the connection needs to be wired brushed. The sell a bat post wire brush. Advanced may have your battery. Mine was a Group 47N5, $121.00 and change. Make sure it's the right battery. The battery top should set down so the posts are no higher than the top of the battery.

M.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

The link works for me:

But here is the info on the battery from the Pep Boys site:

BOSCH-36/96 MO •LTD. 36 MONTH FREE REPLACEMENT.
•600CCA/750CA - RESERVE MIN = 85 - OE CCA: 480

Part# 47-600B Manufacturer: BOSCH
Price: $107.99 + $12.00 refundable core charge
Normally Stocked

Part Number: 47-600B
Group Size: 47
Description: Bosch S5 (Pep Boys)
CCA @ 0F 600
Ca @ 32F 750

RC min @ 25A 85

Length in Inches 9-5/8
Width in Inches 6-3/4
Height in Inches 7-7/16

SKU# 9073731
UPC# 02885155839 6

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
As far as contact, it's not the corrosion ON the terminals it's the oxidation between the cable connectors and the post. They need to be cleaned, for sure, but the connection needs to be wired brushed. The sell a bat post wire brush. Advanced may have your battery. Mine was a Group 47N5, $121.00 and change. Make sure it's the right battery. The battery top should set down so the posts are no higher than the top of the battery.

M.
The BOSCH is cheaper and has more Cold Cranking Amps and a better warranty. 36/96 compared to 36/84

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The BOSCH is cheaper and has more Cold Cranking Amps and a better warranty. 36/96 compared to 36/84
Yes I know, he/she just seemed to be having trouble finding any battery. :(

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

M.
darn, I was hoping I could get away with not having to use tools, I fear messing up my baby even more :p I sprayed them with the battery cleaner and then wiped them down

that pep boys one sounds great, anyone know if they'll install too?

the battery I have now is from AAA, and it came that way when I bought it. I can't figure out when it was manufactured. all I have is that it's a 47-36, and has this printed number: D008323... maybe it was made in 2008 in march on the 23rd? and if it was made in 2008, would you guys recommend that I just replace it whether or not it's the terminals causing the problem?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
darn, I was hoping I could get away with not having to use tools, I fear messing up my baby even more :p I sprayed them with the battery cleaner and then wiped them down

that pep boys one sounds great, anyone know if they'll install too?

the battery I have now is from AAA, and it came that way when I bought it. I can't figure out when it was manufactured. all I have is that it's a 47-36, and has this printed number: D008323... maybe it was made in 2008 in march on the 23rd? and if it was made in 2008, would you guys recommend that I just replace it whether or not it's the terminals causing the problem?
That Bosch is the best deal I've seen of late. Some places will charge you for the NB, because of what's involved, some won't. Advanced here in Houston, will, included in the price, but I wouldn't trust them. Can't tell you anything about your battery except maybe Group 47, 36 month, and you're probably right about the DOM. It would be a total crap shoot guessing as to whether or not you need it, until after the terminals are cleaned and tight on the one you have. Can't go wrong, but as said, it may simply be dirty connections (again, not what you see on top), the battery, a combination of both, or something else. Have you had a look at the inside of the fuse box atop the battery. Hopefully it doesn't look something like this.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/52338-morav-needs-some-help-helping-someone-else-org-battery-fuse-box-issue.html
If it does, well, read through the thread.

M.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I checked the fuse box while I was doing my crappy job of cleaning the terminals, they are all fine. The wires are still good too, nothing is loose

I'm about to head out to pep boys right now, their website says they have a "special" thing that will tell me how charged it is now and how much longer I can expect it to run

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I checked the fuse box while I was doing my crappy job of cleaning the terminals, they are all fine. The wires are still good too, nothing is loose

I'm about to head out to pep boys right now, their website says they have a "special" thing that will tell me how charged it is now and how much longer I can expect it to run
Damn, if THAT that doesn't sound just absolutely MAGICAL! :bs:

You're gonna' have to let me know which location that is. Need to swing by there and see if they can hook it up to me, to tell me how much longer I've got!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it was on the pep boys website under battery service or something, STILL haven't had it done yet, I had an appointment at 4 with an old friend and left my house too late. There was a line of people and by the time it was my turn to talk to someone I had to leave :/

I shall have to try tomorrow

1 - 20 of 26 Posts