VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an active subscription since I got my car. There have always been a couple dead spots in Vegas that consistently cut out. Now my radio is "linking" all the time. I've done a refresh several times and Sirius advised me to take it to the Stealership so they can check it out. When I called just to inquire how much this diagnostic was they said $165 and also it's problem not the radio if all the other functions are working. Sirius says this is not true and something else could be loose. Anyone have any advice on what could be loose or where else I could get something like this checked out? I'm about to cancel because at this point I'm paying for a service I'm not receiving in a vehicle that's driven about three times a week.

·
Beetle Cabrio Driver
54 Posts
I just ended my subscription. I liked it but it would drop the signal in the same locations on my commute. My other car also has XM/Sirius and does not drop. I've read it's the location of the antenna on the beetle - I searched but could not find much info on how to increase signal strength. Maybe check out a radio shop for aftermarket options? Good luck!

I've had an active subscription since I got my car. There have always been a couple dead spots in Vegas that consistently cut out. Now my radio is "linking" all the time. I've done a refresh several times and Sirius advised me to take it to the Stealership so they can check it out. When I called just to inquire how much this diagnostic was they said $165 and also it's problem not the radio if all the other functions are working. Sirius says this is not true and something else could be loose. Anyone have any advice on what could be loose or where else I could get something like this checked out? I'm about to cancel because at this point I'm paying for a service I'm not receiving in a vehicle that's driven about three times a week.

·
Registered
758 Posts
For $165, I would bet you could buy an entirely new aftermarket radio with Sirius and have it installed. That would also have the advantage of having a warranty.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! There used to be two dead spots but all over the is a little much. Add to that I'm in Vegas so there is no trees, etc., blocking anything. There are only three dealerships here and one of them actually scratched up my radio when it was still under warranty and needed a repair. I'm leaning toward canceling and piggybacking off my Mom's account so I can just use my phone and computer.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I believe the Sirius antenna is located under the top dash panel that needs to be removed when accessing the cabin air filter.

It is actually pretty easy to access, just push the panel forward, however the sticky paint sometimes makes this a bit tricky.

·
Registered
758 Posts
As long as you don't go over your limits on your cell data plan, streaming works well.

We have unlimited data on our cell plan (very old plan I don't want to change) so my daughter and I just stream all our music to our phones. Her '05 NBC has an aftermarket Pioneer with USB input which works well with her iPhone (the original VW radio was draining the battery when the car was off). My '91 Ford Crown Victoria has a very old Kenwood aftermarket radio with an aux input, so I have to use the phone to control what I'm playing. It works.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you @Jfoj! I may be able to talk the BF into checking this out over the long weekend.

@Jeff2, I plan on hitting a Best Buy this weekend for that cord. I see I have a port so I might as well use it. Mine is an '08 but I've have battery issues as well. I afraid to even leave the car charger connected unless I'm using it. Nothing like a Ford. They last forever. I need to look into streaming through the radio in my truck also.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Here is a YouTube video of how to remove the center dash trim and access the cabin filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX4eqN0fqeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPwn7TEFTAY

Your car NEEDS the cabin filter replaced anyway, Advance, AutoZone and other parts stores usually stock these.

You will find the cabin air filter is likely original and REALLY plugged with crap and you might even find rodent nests in this area as well??

Anyway, I cannot confirm 100%, however, it is my understanding that the Sirius antenna should be located under the center dash cover that is removed for access to cabin air filter.

If it is not, I would likely get a decent aftermarket antenna and mount it in this location anyway.

Let me know what you find.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a YouTube video of how to remove the center dash trim and access the cabin filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX4eqN0fqeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPwn7TEFTAY

Your car NEEDS the cabin filter replaced anyway, Advance, AutoZone and other parts stores usually stock these.

You will find the cabin air filter is likely original and REALLY plugged with crap and you might even find rodent nests in this area as well??

Anyway, I cannot confirm 100%, however, it is my understanding that the Sirius antenna should be located under the center dash cover that is removed for access to cabin air filter.

If it is not, I would likely get a decent aftermarket antenna and mount it in this location anyway.

Let me know what you find.
Thank you! I really appreciate this information!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sirius receiver/control box location

I don't believe convertibles have a cabin air filter...at least my 08 doesn't. (Wouldn't make much sense when you think about it.)
And, the Sirius receiver/control box is at the top of the passenger footwell. Just peel back the carpet and you'll see it there held by two bolts.
I would check the antenna connection there before I started removing dash panels to check the primary antenna.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I don't believe convertibles have a cabin air filter...at least my 08 doesn't. (Wouldn't make much sense when you think about it.)
Our '05 NBC definitively has one, as we replaced it a few weeks ago. It was very nasty. It's in the exact same location as on the non-convertible (which was in the YouTube video I was using as a guide). If your '08 does have one, it's certainly due for changing by now.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I believe all the NB have a cabin air filter. The problem is it WAY hidden and a bit of a PITA to access.

Advance and AutoZone usually stock them, they are not that expense. But you also want to clean ALL the crap out of the cowl area which can cause flooding in the cabin if the drains get blocked up.

You will also find out if rodents have have been nesting as well.

Most of the cabin air filters are original.

I replaced mine about 3 years ago and it was a mess after 3 years!

Depends on where you live, if the car is garaged and if you park near/under trees.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Agree with all of jfoj's points but one. I didn't find the cabin air filter to be a "PITA" after watching the "how to" video on YouTube. A "PITA" is replacing the timing belt! But, I will admit it there were far more screws to remove than when doing the same on our Pontiac Vibe.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Agree with all of jfoj's points but one. I didn't find the cabin air filter to be a "PITA" after watching the "how to" video on YouTube. A "PITA" is replacing the timing belt! But, I will admit it there were far more screws to remove than when doing the same on our Pontiac Vibe.
Cabin air filter is a PITA compared to most cars that allow you to access it from the engine bay or from some other means.

I do agree the timing belt is a PITA, but even worse is removing the drivers side snap in axle on an automatic transmission!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts