NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings...After days and days, still no luck finding a salvaged skid plate for my convertible. I did find a new one online and wanted some technical expert advice on if this one will work for Mrs Beetle without the side shields:

MK4 Jetta Golf New Beetle GTI R32 skid plate

I am going to contact the company and ask them too, but I want to run it by you guys because I gotta be sure before I drop the cash...ya know...

If this one will work, I'm ordering it with the oil drain hole and plug.

After reading a bit about what all the skid plate protects and from what (road debris!) I am sensing a bit of urgency to get this done pronto. My cousin mechanic is coming over to look at her Sunday. So I want to order this part right away if it's compatible!

Mrs Beetle & I appreciate your help more than words can express. :hugkiss:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I'd still try to get one from a parting out or something. That's a lot of coin to drop on that. FWIW, I ran with just the plastic "skid plate" on my NB for 6 1/2 years (the hardtops came with plastic) and I busted my pan once, but I doubt a metal plate would have done much...what I hit caught my drain plug and ripped a hole and it was pretty unavoidable. That's the only incident I had.

I'd say just be aware of the roads as you drive and save your money and get a used plate from another 'vert.

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd still try to get one from a parting out or something. That's a lot of coin to drop on that. FWIW, I ran with just the plastic "skid plate" on my NB for 6 1/2 years (the hardtops came with plastic) and I busted my pan once, but I doubt a metal plate would have done much...what I hit caught my drain plug and ripped a hole and it was pretty unavoidable. That's the only incident I had.

I'd say just be aware of the roads as you drive and save your money and get a used plate from another 'vert.
I floored that I can't find one, not one, at any salvage yard. There are none. Just amazing. I've been hunting for a week. LOL I need a glass of wine. :runnethov

·
Ali's Dad
229 Posts
We've been running with no skid plate since we bought the car in July, it was ripped off. Not all Convertibles had the metal cross plates on them, this one had a plastic one. I will be ordering a Diesel geek one at some point, or I might just have my local metal shop make me one, something a bit less industrial looking.

·
Registered
867 Posts

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking about installing this one temporarily (myself?) until I can find a metal one from a salvage yard:
http://www.carparts.com/details/Vol...rb9242001039&gclid=CIackOiD_7MCFUdxQgodnTgAag
which fits 2005-2005 GLS; 4 Cyl 1.8L; "GAS, FI, BKF, Turbocharged"

Has anyone done this themselves before? Do you have instructions for this plastic one?

I need to get something installed on it asap because everything's exposed. I don't have to travel down country roads or over speed bumps or anything like that where I travel typically, and I'm being careful to watch for any debris in the road. I am also avoiding going over any speed bumps, particularly those temp metal ones that have a sharp edge on them-- But the main concern I'm having right now is if something small flies up into my engine and causes damage, or the rain coming into it and possibly messing up something.

What do you guys think about just getting this plastic one on her immediately? Are they easy to install DIY? I'm thinking I am going to have to do this myself. Cheapest shop I found wants to charge me $85 an hour in labor...

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
skid plat

that's what I have now in my car but I don't think it fits your car. Well if it matches up to the holes it's real easy to install, just four screws and you're done. On a scale of 1-10 of difficulty jobs to do yourself this one is...... -3 . LOL
:D

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's what I have now in my car but I don't think it fits your car. Well if it matches up to the holes it's real easy to install, just four screws and you're done. On a scale of 1-10 of difficulty jobs to do yourself this one is...... -3 . LOL
I ordered a plastic one for now, new. I'll drill holes in the shield if the holes don't line up with my frame. LOL I've got to get something on her now, just in case some little pebble or whatever wants to give me grief.

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
I have an unused OEM one, still in box, the plastic one.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I'm thinking about installing this one temporarily (myself?) until I can find a metal one from a salvage yard:
http://www.carparts.com/details/Vol...rb9242001039&gclid=CIackOiD_7MCFUdxQgodnTgAag
which fits 2005-2005 GLS; 4 Cyl 1.8L; "GAS, FI, BKF, Turbocharged"

Has anyone done this themselves before? Do you have instructions for this plastic one?

I need to get something installed on it asap because everything's exposed. I don't have to travel down country roads or over speed bumps or anything like that where I travel typically, and I'm being careful to watch for any debris in the road. I am also avoiding going over any speed bumps, particularly those temp metal ones that have a sharp edge on them-- But the main concern I'm having right now is if something small flies up into my engine and causes damage, or the rain coming into it and possibly messing up something.

What do you guys think about just getting this plastic one on her immediately? Are they easy to install DIY? I'm thinking I am going to have to do this myself. Cheapest shop I found wants to charge me $85 an hour in labor...
You really don't want to install that POS. All it is is a cheap piece of plastic that is held in by 4 tiny screws. It offers no protection whatsoever. Definitely not something you want to put on your convertible.

Here is the one that should be on the convertible:

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genuine-part-skid-plate-aluminum-with-skirts_211254.html

It comes with both side engine guards which separately are usually about 45 bucks each. Still it's not cheap.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I ordered a plastic one for now, new. I'll drill holes in the shield if the holes don't line up with my frame. LOL I've got to get something on her now, just in case some little pebble or whatever wants to give me grief.
Trust me that was a wasted purchase. The only protection it offers is to perhaps keep a couple of raindrops from hitting your oil filter. It leaves the oil pan totally exposed and offers no value on your convertible.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Come on... it's at least a -10 :D Unless whoever installs it doesn't know how to turn a screwdriver. :D

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
hey

Come on... it's at least a -10 :D Unless whoever installs it doesn't know how to turn a screwdriver. :D
Hey that person could be working upside down and forget about the golden rule; righty tighty lefty loosy..LOL :p I see you changed your profile picture Mr indytom. I always use the clockwise and counterclockwise, some folks do get confused..LOL :D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hey that person could be working upside down and forget about the golden rule; righty tighty lefty loosy..LOL :p I see you changed your profile picture Mr indytom. I always use the clockwise and counterclockwise, some folks do get confused..LOL :D
Now if you are in Australia you need to do the opposite since their toilets flush counter clockwise :D

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well yesterday was a total loss.

Indy Tom oh mighty beetle goo roo, you are so right. I'll be returning the plastic "shield which shields nothing" in my opinion. I crawled up under there with my cous, and that plastic shield had no way to bolt (or in this case it was screw) onto the one corner where the oil pan is located. Literally the one corner would have just hung there freely, to flop in the wind and eventually fly off. So I'll be effectuating a return on Monday...

And then, as for changing the rear brake pads, who would have thought we needed a special tool just for the beetle? Naw, ya think. Really. :rolleyes: Cous hadn't ever changed brake pads on a VW. It was getting dark and so we just threw in the towel and called it a day. I've still got 15% on my pads even after the oil change guy told me that 1700 miles ago. So no need to panic, and I'll just continue downshifting a lot vs. laying on the brakes. We've set a date to change the pads out next weekend or the one after that depending on the weather. I did have the brains to buy the premium pads so they'll last longer = pulling less maintenance less often as for those.

I showed cous the wonderful DIYs on the timing belt job and the list of not at all special tools we'll need, which he has; however, he opted out of committing to such a long winded job on his weekends off. I can relate, I cherish my time off too. So I'm keeping my Weds appointment with the garage to do it. I got the kit Indy Tom recommended and showed it to him, and he was impressed :grovel: that such a complete comprehensive kit can be had at such a great price, with none of the components made in China :D I did confirm that with the company on Friday, FYI. Only one of the components is made outside of GE and the US, made in Turkey. So my mind is at ease.

Now you guys are going to fall over. My cous used to work at one of those national chain jobby places, but he's since moved to a new job...To the very same mechanic shop which is doing my timing belt service on Weds!!!!!!!! ROTF!!!!!! Is that not wild??!! We sure had a good laugh yesterday. Even though we accomplished nothing--

Today I MIGHT try removing the engine cover and unscrewing my spark plugs to take a look see inside. I'm curious if they need changing. Once in a while, something "misses" when I'm cruising down the highway, and it's very subtle, but I can feel it. I already ran fuel injector cleaner through 10 gallons. I'm thinking spark plugs....maybe....:confused:

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
And then, as for changing the rear brake pads, who would have thought we needed a special tool just for the beetle? Naw, ya think. Really. :rolleyes: Cous hadn't ever changed brake pads on a VW. It was getting dark and so we just threw in the towel and called it a day. I've still got 15% on my pads even after the oil change guy told me that 1700 miles ago. So no need to panic, and I'll just continue downshifting a lot vs. laying on the brakes. We've set a date to change the pads out next weekend or the one after that depending on the weather. I did have the brains to buy the premium pads so they'll last longer = pulling less maintenance less often as for those.

I showed cous the wonderful DIYs on the timing belt job and the list of not at all special tools we'll need, which he has; however, he opted out of committing to such a long winded job on his weekends off. I can relate, I cherish my time off too. So I'm keeping my Weds appointment with the garage to do it. I got the kit Indy Tom recommended and showed it to him, and he was impressed :grovel: that such a complete comprehensive kit can be had at such a great price, with none of the components made in China :D I did confirm that with the company on Friday, FYI. Only one of the components is made outside of GE and the US, made in Turkey. So my mind is at ease.

Today I MIGHT try removing the engine cover and unscrewing my spark plugs to take a look see inside. I'm curious if they need changing. Once in a while, something "misses" when I'm cruising down the highway, and it's very subtle, but I can feel it. I already ran fuel injector cleaner through 10 gallons. I'm thinking spark plugs....maybe....:confused:
I didn't need any special toold to do the rear brakes on my beetle but it's a tad older than yours. I believe you do need a M14 Triplesquare socket but only if you remove the Caliper Bracket to change out the rotors. If you are only changing pads you really don't need any special tools. You do need a caliper piston compression tool but that is required on all cars. On the beetle you should have a tool that turns the caliper piston while pushing it back in. I bought my set at Harbor Freight tools for about 16 bucks.
If you change pads you might as well change the rotors. I did my front and back with EBC Rotors and Pads for less than 200 bucks. Took me about 3 hours to do all 4 sides but that included painting my calipers. Just doing pads is very easy and shouldn't take more than about 20 minutes on each side.

Not a bad idea to take a look at the spark plugs. Getting to them is a bit tricky since you have to remove some junk to get to all of the Coil packs that cover the plugs. Mine are the old bolt down style but I believe yours may be just the push in style. If there is oil in the spark plug tubes your valve cover gasket is leaking but that is a fairly easy fix.
Be sure to replace the plugs with proper OEM type plugs. The 1.8 liter engine is pretty particular about the plugs and doesn't like BOSCH plugs at all. I would say stick with NGK OEM or the NGK Iridium plugs. You can get them at Pep Boys for about 6 to 7 bucks a plug.

Good Luck and Keep us posted. ;)

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How cute. Where did you get the sticker?
On Ebay:
VW Beetlevolkswagon Fuel Door Decal Vinyl Sticker Removeable White Goes Here | eBay

I bought mine in white text but you can buy it in black text too--there are notes on both listings pointing to each other so you can find the other post if you want black instead :)

I also ordered the purple daisy decals, set of 16, cuz my daughter is in love with her too and wants to put flowers on our love bug.

I'll take pictures eventually, but I've got to figure out how to attach the eye lids first. They're more dome shaped than the headlamp lenses so I've got to figure something out that really sticks good on the part that will come into contact with the lenses. I don't want them blowing off down the road. I read somewhere that I can buy adhesive enhancer and the ones I found are $$$ crazy expensive. I am not finding any other options.

I'm so excited my headrest cover is on its way! :D The guy who helped me offered to check if they have the other misc plastic interior parts I need if I send him pictures, so yesterday I took a bunch of pics and so have to find the time to send them asap. They have a 2008 convert with my same interior type :D So I need to hurry. Maybe I'll have time tonight. With the holidays fast approaching, time is short!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts