NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
MQQN PIE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered my deluxe skid plate from Diesel Geek. Should I coat it with anything before installing since I live in the Midwest (Chicago). Will it rust eventually? Anyone know? Thanks.

·
Registered
11,583 Posts
If you bought a "panzer plate"; they are made out of aluminum; so technically, they won't rust, they will oxidize and the shiny surface will fade... however. I suppose you could wax it; that might slow down the oxidizing for awhile.... the "deluxe full metal jacket" side panels are aluminium too...

·
MQQN PIE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. My friend wants to spray it with a coating, which I think will just be rubbed off anyway. But I guess it couldn't hurt it.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You CAN NOT paint aluminum with ANYTHING that will stick for any length of time. To have it colorized, with durability, it would have to be commercially anodized, electrostatically painted, painted and baked, or powder coated. And don't believe any one or any site that suggests primers that will make ANY KIND of paint stick, it won't. Promise. (40 years experience in the business.). Don't waste your money or time.

MORAV

·
MQQN PIE
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You CAN NOT paint aluminum with ANYTHING that will stick for any length of time. To have it colorized, with durability, it would have to be commercially anodized, electrostatically painted, painted and baked, or powder coated. And don't believe any one or any site that suggests primers that will make ANY KIND of paint stick, it won't. Promise. (40 years experience in the business.). Don't waste your money or time.

MORAV
Thank you so much for your expertise! I will not waste my time. I'll spending it on making the parts that everyone can see look pretty!:curtsey:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I will not waste my time. I'll spending it on making the parts that everyone can see look pretty!:curtsey:
Good choice! It would be different if you were showing the car, which might warrant the expense of having it done professionally, but as a daily driver, no way...

As stated, wax would slow down the oxidation process, as would clear lacquer, which would last until weather and exposure peel it off.

M.:)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just ordered my deluxe skid plate from Diesel Geek. Should I coat it with anything before installing since I live in the Midwest (Chicago). Will it rust eventually? Anyone know? Thanks.

I recently got a skid plate from Diesel Geeks for my daughter's New Beetle. It's all aluminum and you will not have a problem with rust. If it were steel, I could see the logic of painting it. I would not coat it with anything.

·
Registered
867 Posts
just make sure you put something on the bolts so they don't rust. You want to be able to take it off when needed.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I recently got a skid plate from Diesel Geeks for my daughter's New Beetle. It's all aluminum and you will not have a problem with rust. If it were steel, I could see the logic of painting it. I would not coat it with anything.
I haven't seen their product, so I don't know whether it is mill finish aluminim, has been "alodined" (the equivalent to priming for steel, although almost unnoticeable (a yellowish hue), or is anodized. Both processes done in a dip tank with electrolysis (sort of), which seals the surface. If it is simply mill finish, it will, with time oxidize, with a chalky whitish patina, including piting, much like the old cheap aluminum residential windows did, before the days of factory painting them.

just make sure you put something on the bolts so they don't rust. You want to be able to take it off when needed.
Swap the provided fasteners for quality stainless ones and rust won't be an issue, just don't overtighten them, stainless is much more brittle than steel and will shear much more easily.

M.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
Plus, each time you do hit something with it (that's what these are for, right????)... It will get a little scratched each time.

Wear those scratches as a badge of honor!

I had the older steel one that hung down way lower than the new ones did. After my first few bumps, I wasn't so nervous about hitting things anymore. It was kinda fun actually. :p

·
Registered
146 Posts
Last night I was out test driving the daughter's new beetle and the darn EPC light came on. The car lost power in the middle of traffic. I was beginning to see first hand what she was telling me about the car's problem! (The light goes off and regains power when you restart the engine). Anyway, I immediately pulled out of traffic into a older Ice house/gas station. In limp mode, I navigated between several cars and we both heard a loud "cluck" sound under the car. I had run over some man hole looking cover. This man hole cover was above ground and over the hole where the gas tanks are filled. Anyway, that could have been a busted oil pan and the skid plate prevented us from having another repair problem added to our situation. These cars sit lower than most and lack ground clearance for sure. The Skid plate from Diesel Geeks is made of pretty stout aluminum and the bolts are stainless steel. I have taken the plate on and off the car several times to replace the oil pan gasket and to look for oil leaks. I don't see any reason to paint this skid plate. It just needs to be installed properly so that it will work correctly when needed.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Scratch my comment about swapping out bolts...

Glad to know they come with s/s bolts, the only thing that made any sense anyway for the fastening. Maybe a good indicator of a quality product.

M.

·
9,487 Posts
Scratch my comment about swapping out bolts...

Glad to know they come with s/s bolts, the only thing that made any sense anyway for the fastening. Maybe a good indicator of a quality product.

M.
People that have these can only say so much. Yes they're a little pricey, but are well worth way more than they ask.

And dieselgeeks have the best fit and finish also. I have installed a few different brands on a few different bugs. DG's cost a little more, but they're well worth it.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thank you so much for your expertise! I will not waste my time. I'll spending it on making the parts that everyone can see look pretty!:curtsey:
You could powdercoat it. That would last and it comes in all sorts of designer colors. ;-)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Powder coating. As I said in my first post. But not a cheap proposition. I have a powder coater as a regular vendor, and a "friendly price" to do (4) calipers was $400+, with a standard, stocked color. Labor intensive for calipers.

Unless it's a show piece, a waste of money. At 4¼" ground clearance, who going to see it anyway. Doesn't make it perform any better. Going to have a look at their sight and see how they are treating the aluminum from the factory, after reading Toad's post. Sounds as if it's a step up from mill finish. Assume the parts are sheet and not cast, but never paid any attention before. Could be anodized, or a clear powder coating.

Looking at the product information on their site, they do not indicate a finish has been applied. Looking at the picture, the aluminum obviously has been polished, and as the do powder coat the steel mounting hardware, it would not surprise me if the plate has been clear powder coated after polishing. And at 3/16" good protection, but still "dentable"

M.

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
Powder coating. As I said in my first post. But not a cheap proposition. I have a powder coater as a regular vendor, and a "friendly price" to do (4) calipers was $400+, with a standard, stocked color. Labor intensive for calipers.M.
You need a new powdercoater guy. I had my intake and front engine timing cover that has the oil pump in it done in a similar color as fresh aluminum for less than 80 bucks.

Also have had other things done like my grand daughters wagon for 50 bucks.

And had my grandsons Cub cadet redone in IH Red and IH White..150 bucks and all these jobs included professional blasting included

·
2005 1.8T
58 Posts
Silly question here, but My 1.8t doesnt have any of the plastics underneath anymore. Does DieselGeek make one for my bug or is it for Diesels only? Yes I am being lazy, guess I could just google it, but I like the chit chat with all of you!!

·
9,487 Posts
Silly question here, but My 1.8t doesnt have any of the plastics underneath anymore. Does DieselGeek make one for my bug or is it for Diesels only? Yes I am being lazy, guess I could just google it, but I like the chit chat with all of you!!
Yup. You just have to take it off to do your oil changes, unlike the diesels that have the oil filter on the top, the gassers can only access them from the bottom.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
MK4 Jetta Golf New Beetle GTI R32 skid plate

It fits Gassers as well as Diesel cars. No difference. Except it may be a pain taking it off every time you have to change your oil and it is almost 300 bucks. So they tore off your plastic skid plate as well? Hmm, that car gets more suspicious every day. You can always get a new plastic one for about 34 bucks: Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Belly Pan > ES#6188 Belly Pan - 1J0825237R

Much easier to mess with in my opinion. If you are worried about your oil pan I would invest in a Hybrid Oil pan with Steel bottom. It is a lot more durable than the Full aluminum one and only costs about 80 some bucks. I still have my original plastic belly pan and even after all these years it still looks pretty good and my Original Aluminum Oil pan is still in one piece ;) Do you at least still have the side covers where the plastic pan attaches to?

·
2005 1.8T
58 Posts
MK4 Jetta Golf New Beetle GTI R32 skid plate

It fits Gassers as well as Diesel cars. No difference. Except it may be a pain taking it off every time you have to change your oil and it is almost 300 bucks. So they tore off your plastic skid plate as well? Hmm, that car gets more suspicious every day. You can always get a new plastic one for about 34 bucks: Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Belly Pan > ES#6188 Belly Pan - 1J0825237R

Much easier to mess with in my opinion. If you are worried about your oil pan I would invest in a Hybrid Oil pan with Steel bottom. It is a lot more durable than the Full aluminum one and only costs about 80 some bucks. I still have my original plastic belly pan and even after all these years it still looks pretty good and my Original Aluminum Oil pan is still in one piece ;) Do you at least still have the side covers where the plastic pan attaches to?
Yep still have the sides. I just wanted to get something to block some wind noise and water. I will definitely be getting that hybrid pan. Not a lot of clearance, that pan sits mighty close to the ground.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts