NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 1.8t.. Installed New plugs & Coils.. Injectors seem to be working fine.. The car has a skip at idle and acceleration. Can't seem to figure out the problem..Could low fuel pressure cause a skip. It throws a p0300 cel light.. Could it be Cat plugged up.. Please help.. Does anyone have a Vag-Com that could scan it for me in the area. Near Fayetteville, N.C. Willing to drive it to you.. Some mechanic help would be helpful also..

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Not sure VAGCOM/VCDS will offer any more info that a generic scan tool in this case?

If you are missing at idle, could be a vacuum leak, missing under load more likely a coil issue?

What plugs did you install? What is the plug gap? Plug gap being too wide could be a problem.

Also the coil connectors are known to be problems and break du to the plastic getting brittle.

Do you have any Freeze Frame data or fuel trim info? This would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
This place is full of beetle gurus. You should get all the answers you need here. I have a scanner; but alas, unless you want to drive to Tampa, FL I am of no use to you :(

Hope it's an easy fix and done real quick for you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure VAGCOM/VCDS will offer any more info that a generic scan tool in this case?

If you are missing at idle, could be a vacuum leak, missing under load more likely a coil issue?

What plugs did you install? What is the plug gap? Plug gap being too wide could be a problem.

Also the coil connectors are known to be problems and break du to the plastic getting brittle.

Do you have any Freeze Frame data or fuel trim info? This would be helpful.
Can't remember what type plug i used but it was the same one's that came out.. Gap set at .32 (manu specs).. Not real sure about the Freeze Frame Data or Fuel Trim Info.. In need of a GOOD Mechanic... Thing is I found two Coils bad and replaced them and it ran fine for a couple of hours then started skipping again.. Replaced the other two with no improvement.. Thinking FUEL problem now..

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
What brand, type and where did you buy the coil packs; others have had problems with low quality Chinese aftermarket coils failing after installation. I have always bought them from my local VW dealer; to make sure they were the latest revision and good quality. If they are Chinese; I would return them and buy a new set from your local VW dealer. The quality OEM brands seem to be Bremi and Hitachi (Hitachi's are said to be better/last longer); here are some examples from ECS Tuning:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_IV--1.8T/News/MKIV18t_CoilpackOptions/?salesrep=apasternak&utm_source=vortex&utm_medium=forum&utmcontent=apasternak&utm_campaign=newpost

trouble code definition: ross tech wiki

16684/P0300/000768 - Ross-Tech Wiki

As noted before; a fuel pressure test would be a good thing to rule out. I just did this on mine; used a inexpensive pressure tester from HF, worked fine.

Fuel Pressure Tester & Fuel Injection Pump Tester

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What brand, type and where did you buy the coil packs; others have had problems with low quality Chinese aftermarket coils failing after installation. I have always bought them from my local VW dealer; to make sure they were the latest revision and good quality. If they are Chinese; I would return them and buy a new set from your local VW dealer. The quality OEM brands seem to be Bremi and Hitachi (Hitachi's are said to be better/last longer); here are some examples from ECS Tuning:

Volkswagen Golf IV 1.8T > ECS News > MKIV 1.8T Coil Pack Options

trouble code definition: ross tech wiki

16684/P0300/000768 - Ross-Tech Wiki

As noted before; a fuel pressure test would be a good thing to rule out. I just did this on mine; used a inexpensive pressure tester from HF, worked fine.

Fuel Pressure Tester & Fuel Injection Pump Tester
Talked with a friend who will be doing the fuel pressure test tomorrow.. If that doesn't pan out i will be changing the coils back to Factory..

·
5/23/10 <3
10,963 Posts
Definitely echo on the brand of the plugs and coils. That can really make a difference.

If you end up needing a good mechanic, Apex Tuning in Apex, NC (about an hour from Fayetteville but they get a lot of customers from there) is the place. Been taking our VWs to them for over 5 years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts